Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• RMweb Gold

That's a very unusual looking token picking-up arrangement.  i wonder if they've made it like that to make it a lot less arduous on the Fireman's arms or if they couldn't get hold of a proper one?

The 1960 SA entry regarding the Fireman withdrawing a token only applied to the Auxiliary Instrument at Firestone.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a very unusual looking token picking-up arrangement.  i wonder if they've made it like that to make it a lot less arduous on the Fireman's arms or if they couldn't get hold of a proper one?

The 1960 SA entry regarding the Fireman withdrawing a token only applied to the Auxiliary Instrument at Firestone.

Thanks for clarifying that Mike.  It says it was between North and South Ground Frames.  I assumed this was applicable to the siding into the Firestone factory. 

On the token picking-up arrangement.  Checking this out, the Friends of Carrog Restoration website only says the token apparatus was constructed but nothing else.  I couldn't find anything else on the subject of any help, either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for clarifying that Mike.  It says it was between North and South Ground Frames.  I assumed this was applicable to the siding into the Firestone factory. 

On the token picking-up arrangement.  Checking this out, the Friends of Carrog Restoration website only says the token apparatus was constructed but nothing else.  I couldn't find anything else on the subject of any help, either.

The sketch on p.32 of that 1960 SA will give you a hint of the arrangement.

There is at least one at Didcot (there's a nice excuse for a couple of days away taking in Castle's RMweb day at the GWRS in July) and Duncan Models do one in 4mm scale (perhaps Springside do too - I'm not sure about that?)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is at least one at Didcot (there's a nice excuse for a couple of days away taking in Castle's RMweb day at the GWRS in July) and Duncan Models do one in 4mm scale (perhaps Springside do too - I'm not sure about that?)

It was the sketch that made me take notice of them.  I can't say they were any more than just white posts before then.  :mosking:

That and the signalman scurrying along the track with a token at Llangollen Goods Junction.

I expect the penny will drop once again next time I'm out and about.   :scratchhead:

No doubt we'll see.  :jester:

Edit.  Handy little books them Appendices.  I see there's a Red Book as well...

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was the sketch that made me take notice of them.  I can't say they were any more than just white posts before then.  :mosking:

That and the signalman scurrying along the track with a token at Llangollen Goods Junction.

I expect the penny will drop once again next time I'm out and about.   :scratchhead:

No doubt we'll see.  :jester:

Edit.  Handy little books them Appendices.  I see there's a Red Book as well...

And well worth having the red one is although it helps, as with all of them, to have the amendments (I haven't got all of them for the red one alas).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think we'll be driving smaller toys for Joe and Jo Public that weekend.  We are due another visit to Didcot though...

Token exchange apparatus in model form:

Duncan Models  (0 gauge/7mm): http://www.duncanmodels.co.uk/Duncan%20Models%20Pictures%20Converted/token-exchange-apperatus.jpg

Mainly Trains (4mm):  http://www.mainlytrains.co.uk/acatalog/exp_mt243.htm

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A family photo (probably taken in Hayes and Harlington Goods Yard) recently came to light and after the excitement came so many questions.  I can't handle it more than I have to because it is breaking up and I will eventually photograph it with a decent camera and have it cleaned up for posterity!  But for now just a few detail shots.

The photo includes a BC2 container BC-1748 with GWR Roundel - Type listed in Atkins, Beard and Tourret,  GWR Goods Wagons on page 515, cycle arrangement shown in diagram 491 on page 517.

The italic script is not very clear but I have mostly worked out lines 1, 3 and 4 except, after "Capacity," would that be a "7" in front of "40cu.ft?"  BK-1869 (Furniture Removal), Plate 204, GWR Wagons shows capacity of 720cu.ft.

(BK-1869 at Brentford Dock 1937 also appears on page 51, Atkins, Great Western Docks and Marine and is available as a model: BC-1869 Peco model N gauge.  Airfix / Mainline / Hornby model is BC-1829)

post-14049-0-54992000-1464282232.jpg

To Carry 4 Tons

[or 72} Cycles

Tare 1-10-3-20

Capacity [7]40cu.ft

Again, comparing it with Conflat BC1710, Plate 208, GWR Wagons (and Hornby model below), I would expect the 2nd line to read something like "Load 72 cycles" or "or 72 cycles" though this isn't clear on the photo either. 

Can anyone confirm or throw more light on this?

Now to modelling.

I can't find a kit or model of the BC2 but the BC1 is available as a kit from:

:

Parkside Dundas - also supplied with GWR Container Wagon (H7)

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/GREAT_WESTERN_RAILWAYS.html

Transfers supplied but perhaps not with the exact wording - but there are ways and means.

and as RTR:

Hornby R6346A GW GWR CONFLAT 1 PLANK WAGON 39238 & CONTAINER BC-1710

This has the later GWR letters so would need a change to the Roundel livery.

Does anyone have any knowledge of or views on either of these?

Road Vehicle

A GWR Flatbed trailer is also in the photo though not the cab, unfortunately.

post-14049-0-28016600-1464282094.jpg

Do the letters DYAK G, after the trailer number (T1277) refer to anything specific?

A similar number - T1267 DYAK G - is on the trailer at the link below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131302722@N03/17848476202

The Oxford Diecast model will do the job:

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/scammell-mechnical-horse-gwr-flatbed-trailer-76mh003

Whilst doing my homework on all this, I came across a photo of the mechanical horse which looks to have been taken at Brentford coal yard (no location given, I just recognised it and thought - Ooooooh!).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aceanorak/7919757746/in/pool-mechanical-horse/

(Charringtons coal yard, Brentford a few pages back: GWRd #748).

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Continuing with the container photo.

Also in the photo is a partial view of the 6 ton crane similar to ones at Uxbridge Vine Street (pictures 114, 116, 118 in Branch Lines of West London) and Colnbrook (pictures 71, 72) though the latter stands on the platform.

But I have drawn a blank as to a model save the one Missy scratch built in N gauge.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/220/entry-9038-ally-pally-the-results/

• Like 1

Continuing with the container photo.

Also in the photo is a partial view of the 6 ton crane similar to ones at Uxbridge Vine Street (pictures 114, 116, 118 in Branch Lines of West London) and Colnbrook (pictures 71, 72) though the latter stands on the platform.

But I have drawn a blank as to a model save the one Missy scratch built in N gauge.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/220/entry-9038-ally-pally-the-results/

I too need acrane like that in 4mm for my model based on Helston.

Best of lck finding one, 'cos I'm sure you'll share your source here.

All the best TONY

• RMweb Premium

I too need acrane like that in 4mm for my model based on Helston.

Best of lck finding one, 'cos I'm sure you'll share your source here.

All the best TONY

Hi Tony.  There seems to have been a fair few of them around.  Hint for someone to produce a model RTR or kit?

A few on the web:

Colnbrook

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/colnbrook/colnbrook%28keith_jaggers_c1960s%29old58.jpg

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/colnbrook/index14.shtml

Bradford on Avon

http://www.freshford.com/bradford/web56.jpg

http://www.freshford.com/bradford/web39.jpg

Ross on Wye

http://www.ross-on-wye.com/index.php?page=ross_541-Old_pictures_and_photos_from_Ross&pg=3

Barnstaple

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1609319

Helston

http://www.helstonhistory.co.uk/helstons-shops-transport/helston-railway-station-1965/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

HELO as some say in Wales.

Some photos of Southall taken last week.

On arrival (on my way up to Paddington after a family visit), at the end of the platform, I stood aghast!  There is a (great big gaping) HOLE in my bucket footbridge, dear Lisa Great West Road-ers.. And not just a HOLE but also gone is the long extension and steps down to the Shed (81C) under which the likes of tankies, six wunners, Castles, Halls, Granges and Manors, 9Fs, Austerities and Night Owls went out on road; the Flying Scotsman, Sir Nigel Gresley and Pendennis Castle in 1960s preservation; and, in more recent years, the likes of Nunney Castle, King Edward I, Bittern, The Duchess of Sutherland, Britannia, Oliver Cromwell, a few Black 5s, Tangmere, Braunton and The Duke of Gloucester.  I knew the footbridget was destined to be pulled down during the Crossrail overhaul but they could have at least waited until I'd been and gone!  Oh, the pain of it!  Cross rant, even!  I'm totally gutted.  The contents of the layout disappearing before I have a chance to measure up and build it!

But, I was only here for a short while so I had to get on recording what I could - even with the OHLE in the way!  That gave me Cross rant, as well!  But up and down platform stairs, except the branch steps which are closed off, and some views of the station building outside.  Getting a view down the branch/goods line was a bit tricky as the fence on top of the wall lies at an angle to the track and, worse, is small mesh so the camera wouldn't fit through the HOLEs and only lined up in the direction of the old margarine factory.  And what's with the blue things cluttering up the place?  Dear, dear, dear!  [No, they will not appear on GWRd.]  Didn't they know I was coming for a photo shoot?  I managed to get one pic before rushing off to get my train by placing the iphone camera lens on top of the wall at the base of the fence, where there was a bit of continuous, if shallow, gap, and corrected the angle.  Next time, I hope to be able to go down purely for a Southall visit - with a road map to get to places for some other views - if there are any left!

I had a great time even if the interpretation above might imply otherwise.  All part of the game, folks, even the CANCELLED train and unexpected 20 min. wait for the next one.  Still, such things were all factored into the planning and I caught the train from Euston with plenty of time to pick up something to eat for the journey home!  I also got treated to an Aggregate Industries (class 59?) loco heading a rake of Mendip Hills empties out west and an up through HST 125 in GWR livery.  In both cases I was unprepared for such treats and accordingly not quick enough to grab a shot or all the details.  Mind you, the 125 would probably have been a total blurrrrrrrrrr.

post-14049-0-83487900-1466552014.jpg

post-14049-0-85100700-1466552047.jpg

post-14049-0-70896300-1466552075.jpg

post-14049-0-83070700-1466552126.jpg

post-14049-0-67955600-1466552173.jpg

post-14049-0-97985400-1466552199.jpg

post-14049-0-92350600-1466552219.jpg

post-14049-0-15405700-1466552254.jpg

post-14049-0-55949800-1466552253.jpg

post-14049-0-69485200-1466552310.jpg

Before I post - I owe many, many thanks to all those who have photographed, videoed, and written about Southall station and 81C allowing me to piece together just a small and compressed section which will become Great West Road. So much of it will soon just be a memory like so many other railways, stations and sheds.

BUT it seems Hounslow Council has proposed a passenger service linking Brentford (with station close to the A4 Great West Road) to Crossrail at Southall.   http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/new-southall-brentford-rail-link-11197980. GWRd could find itself running some DMU trials in anticipation!

By the way, did you spot the difference between the two pics of the station entrance?  I thought I'd throw them both in when I noticed it!  I suppose I will have to install working signals, now!   :mosking:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The old footbridge may be going, but a fancy new bridge is planned to replace it in the near future, as well as a modern station.

Read all about it!

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/property-developments-and-urban-realm/urban-realm-proposals/london-borough-of-ealing

Hi

A couple of shots of the missing footbridge and a few other views that may interest you.

I have around 110 other photos of the station and buildings taken on two visits in December 2010 and October 2014.

Let me know if you would like to see anymore.

post-6488-0-30306300-1466608763_thumb.jpg

post-6488-0-92634300-1466608779_thumb.jpg

post-6488-0-28649500-1466608797_thumb.jpg

post-6488-0-50949800-1466608857_thumb.jpg

post-6488-0-11715200-1466608879_thumb.jpg

post-6488-0-77515800-1466608894_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi

A couple of shots of the missing footbridge and a few other views that may interest you.

I have around 110 other photos of the station and buildings taken on two visits in December 2010 and October 2014.

Let me know if you would like to see anymore.

Thanks, Nick, you're a star. Those photos brought a tear to the eye.   We can't have enough photos of 81C on here so if you'd like to post more, please feel free to do so.  I'm sure others would be interested too.  They can't replace the lack of being there, but they will be most beneficial for modelling the various buildings and constructions. 

I missed the October 2014 event as we were exhibiting Camel Quay, though I'm beginning to feel that loss now as things have changed and disappeared.  Even since 2010 I have seen the changes - noticeably the eventual disappearance of the diesel canopy outside the former diesel shed, now occupied by Locomotive Services, and the comings and goings of locos and rolling stock in the WCRC shed, not to mention weed and other vegetative growth!

What will also be useful, if anyone has them, are measurements connected with the footbridge - height, width, etc. - or knows who would sell the required components to build it. 

• Like 1

By the way, did you spot the difference between the two pics of the station entrance?  I thought I'd throw them both in when I noticed it!  I suppose I will have to install working signals, now!   :mosking:

MERG do a traffic light sequencer kit for under £2.

• RMweb Premium

It's a shame that the rest of the station building with third tower was lost before its time, but soon all will be gone.   Will its replacement stand as long, I wonder?

But to Nick's photos.  I was thinking about having the branch platform building like the original, using the island platform at Hanwell as a guide.  Nick's photo of the up relief platform, on the other hand, looks a good subject for what will essentially be the branch station back scene and the arches at the shed end would be ideal to show off a partially hidden bay. 

Thanks for the photos of the back of the building, too.  [brain cells getting excited....]  On GWRd, the rear wouldn't be seen directly but if the platform windows were lined up with those at the back, some sort of view could be constructed to be seen through the rooms.  That could be fun.  I've already had some practice on modelling interiors on Camel Quay such as the Booking Hall but with posters on the rear wall rather than windows.  Another challenge awaits...

Northroader.  Paintings are quite acceptable and Cuneo is most welcome.  I mean, just look at the atmosphere.  I don't suppose GWRd will see any black clouds or rain but, more likely, there will be water and reflections around the water columns, and the need for lighting night shed scenes.   I was given a calendar of Cuneo railway paintings years ago and fell in love with his work back then.  As to Storm over Southall, I'm still hoping (another) large prairie comes my way for renumbering to 6117 (preserved in art, if not on the rails) but with the likes of the Steam Railmotor, steam crane, Stirling Single, the Night Owl, and some Southall based DMUs all in the industry pipeline, I'm holding back on more duplicates.

RJS1977.  Thanks for the traffic signalling advice.  That sounds a must.  I'll look into it.

Stationmaster.  I've not heard of the Victoria bay.  Can you fill us in on that? 

• RMweb Gold

The 'Victoria bay' was the upside bay platform which at one time was the place the trains for Victoria started from - GWR trains of course, which duly took the Victoria Branch at Old Oak Common EastV.  (Whether they actually called the bay that I don't know but it's always worth tickling folks' interest ;)  It was very definitely called the Victoria Branch at Old Oak Common - right up to closure.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The 'Victoria bay' was the upside bay platform which at one time was the place the trains for Victoria started from - GWR trains of course, which duly took the Victoria Branch at Old Oak Common EastV.  (Whether they actually called the bay that I don't know but it's always worth tickling folks' interest ;)  It was very definitely called the Victoria Branch at Old Oak Common - right up to closure.

What is now the West London Line?  I found reference to it on Kent Rail.

Edited by southern42