Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for the photos, Nick - again, absolutely superb.   The relief platform building is looking more and more inviting for GWRd as do the gas and water towers in the background.  Great

Glad you posted the steam railmotor - it's a fantastic piece of kit!   Although we sadly missed it's outing at Southall, we did get a ride in both 93 and 92 on the Llangollen Railway when they came together for the first time.  I love your views down the branch, too.  I have loads of trees plus a large amount of forest in a box, etc. so the branchline can become quite overgrown! 

I've already pre-ordered No. 93 so I can run GWRd in 2014 as well as in 2011.

AndyP - when built, that is :jester:  (starting sometime this year, I hope).  

In light of No 93, now seems an appropriate time to announce that GWRd will anticipate the relaunching of passenger services planned for the Brentford branch by running test trains, including a railcar on loan from Greater Anglia!  Well, I need somewhere to run it!  You may have seen the photo of it taken on our dining table Christmas 2014 - present from offspring living in those parts!  And below it appears ready for a test run.  :mosking:

post-14049-0-57616800-1468599158_thumb.jpg

Southall photo by Nick Gough.  Contamination by Southern42!  With apologies!

The word is out that the name for the proposed new station at the Brentford end of the Branch is....

wait for it...

GREAT WEST ROAD! 

Howzzat, then? 

See Brentford - Southall Upgrade for Passenger Services, page 8 of 12  http://www.goldenmilegroup.org.uk/wla/goldenmile.nsf/Files/WTA-209/$file/BSUPS_GRIP1-2_GoldenMileTransportForum280415+(2)+Julie+Gregory.pdf

There is plenty more where that came from if you want to know more, although I may quote bits and pieces to justify explain any future developments on GWRd.

Thanks for following.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The station building was the first of two stations built in 1876 in the French Rennaisance style, the other one being Truro.  I got the info from the book  The English Railway Station by Steven Parissien (another Christmas present!).  It's a shame the building had to lose one end of it.  It looked better with three pavilions, though GWRd will be lucky to get two IF the booking hall straddles a fiddle yard (out of sight behind the platform building) - just a thought at the moment.

The early building had chimneys as well.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/stockcarpete/7983754943

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

'Morning all.

Anything in the mags this month?

Prize find, GWR diesel shunter 15100 makes another appearance in Model Rail, this time in issue 224, the Engine Shed Special, in an article on Class 08 predecessors.

Later, I found the source of 4 photos of the shunter on Colour-Rail (via a description of a 35mm slide for sale on ebay), one at Derby 1963, two at Southall 1962 (derailed and under the diesel canopy) and one in Swindon shed 1961 (the one in MR Engine Shed Special).

Another find, in Steam Railway, July issue, pp. 104-105  - photo of Clun Castle on the Ian Allen Lickey and Midlands tour 1X20, March 27 1965 from Paddington.  That took me back to unravelled's photo of 7029 carrying headcode X20 on GWRd #348.  Funny how some pics just stick in the mind.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

15100 derailed.  We're ahead of the "game" on that one (MR Engine shed special)...! :mosking:

Edited by southern42

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all.

A slight change of topic but currently topical.

This is a link to 4472 Flying Scotsman at Southall.  No, not in 2016 but sometime in (mid?) 1965.

This is a list of 1965 tours mentioned in The Flying Scotsman by David McIntosh(Ian Allen, 2010, pp. 55-56) some of which might have placed it at Southall, if anyone can advise.

9 May 1965                 Return to traffic with charter for the Anglo-Norse Society from Paddington to Gobowen commemorating the 20th anniversary of VE Day).*  (London start and finish).  *http://www.licensestorehouse.com/the-flying-scotsman-1965/print/1379197.html

29 May 1965               ‘East Midlander No 6 Railtour’ for the RCTS from Nottingham to Swindon and return via Clapham Junction.

11 September 1965     Doncaster to Kensington Olympia via Midland Main Line

12 September 1965     Waterloo to Weymouth return via Yeovil to Paddington (London start and finish)

9 October 1965           The Railway Magazine sponsored the Paddington to Cardiff high-speed special.  Terminated at Swindon with leaking left hand steamchest cover.  Rescued by Hymek No. 7089  (London start)

13 November              Five-coach ‘Panda Pullman’ return from Paddington to Cardiff for the WWF. (London start and finish)

Nothing of note is mentioned in 'mid' 1965 so I'm wondering when and why 4472 was there other than for it to be modelled on GWRd!   :locomotive: 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all.

Hope you all enjoyed the Bank Holiday.

While you are pondering the above question on LNER 4472, a 5 minute video from the weekend of BR(W) class 1500 in miniature (5" gauge) at West Shore, Llandudno.

Currently watching a GWR video which came up on the same Youtube page.

Seems there are quite a few episodes so I have just posted the link to the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SysR-glqYPA

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi everyone.

Winter season is soon upon us and a good excuse to try and resume posting on GWRd.  Look forward to seeing you join in with your words of wisdom or otherwise.  There's room for alsorts!

First off.  How many times do we see something in a photograph or in the landscape and exclude (not necessarily intentionally) some key feature or something informative?  Some time back, I did exactly this - spotted No. 1474 at Southall shed in a different place to one in a previous photo.  That was it.  Just another sighting.  What I didn't notice, until I recently returned to it, was that, on this occasion, it is doing something!  In the background was the coaling hoist and wagon shed.  With another look at the couple of coal wagons on the rear of 1474 came the realisation that the loco is standing at the buffer end of the coal road! 

Does anyone know how all this was operated (things which aren't obvious from the photos)?  What is obvious is the loco has nowhere to go until it pushes back the empty wagons when the job is done.  I shall have to find out how much coal locos hold v. wagons needed per session of locos on GWRd. 

Feeling chuffed, though, to find a useful role for 1474 (model due soon-ish!) after the last run of the auto coaches!

Here's the photo of 1474 on the coal road: http://www.whathappenedtosteam.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Untitled-102.jpg

To get the full picture, combine the above photo with a close-up of the coal hoist and wagon shed further down the line.  These scenes will be useful when finalising the layout.

And talking of the 14xx, I have just received my copy of the Great Western Echo and came across this exciting video.  If you have not seen it yet, it shows the backhead for 1466 being pressed.  I watched it a second and third time and noticed far more than I did the first time round!  Brilliant!

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Moving on to recent times, another great find for detail is in Diary of a Llangollen Fireman:

After some informative accounts of firing and driving locos in preservation, there are some splendid shots of 60163 on shed at Southall and, more to the point, some pics showing the construction of the canopy on the diesel roads, plus all the paraphernalia - or, in modelling terms, the accessories!  With both loco and figures in the pictures, it shouldn't be too difficult to gauge its size and sort out some brass or plastic section to build it. Plastic might be useful to start with for a mock up.

The Southall account starts 2/3rds of the way down the page, with Tornado on shed, tour to Durham, and return to Southall from Newcastle followed by more pics of the canopy's structure.  Not much left of the canopy itself, though.

http://www.diaryofallangollenfireman.co.uk/page_2401488.html

• RMweb Premium

Now for something a bit different.  My first attempt at building a laser cut kit to create a diorama from a scene in a family photo.  The kit was from Osborn's Models.

It arrived taped together to prevent the laser cut parts falling out.

post-14049-0-74129400-1478367430.jpg

View of the top.

post-14049-0-84616900-1478367428.jpg

After a week or more of trembling at the thought of making a start, one side and top of the jib carefully removed and lined up.

post-14049-0-65601400-1478367431.jpg

I found two bits of wood and taped them together to support both pieces.  It  looked like it was going to be a fiddly job needing another pair of hands!

post-14049-0-27253900-1478367432.jpg

The important bit was creating a gap along the length of the wood so the glued joint didn't stick to the wood support.

post-14049-0-01556600-1478367433.jpg

And the half section complete.

post-14049-0-64947600-1478384890.jpg

Letting the glue harden overnight... 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Time to add the other side.

First, I re-jigged the jig to support three sides straddling the narrow side of the strip of wood..

post-14049-0-59352100-1478474936.jpg

I added a strip of card to bring the side in alignment with the top though I had to cut it short (after the photo was taken) as the rear end narrows..

post-14049-0-59334900-1478474938.jpg

The three parts of the section finished. 

post-14049-0-76349400-1478474940.jpg

It is now back on the strip of wood while the glue hardens overnight.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Now for the underside.

First, I checked the instructions and online photo because the side has a slope with a change of direction at the end.  Then I checked the alignment before (deep breath!) cutting off the last segment rather than score and bend.

post-14049-0-58874700-1478526604.jpg

I decided it would be easier to glue the edges of the underside rather than the (wobbly) sides to give better control in getting the thing to stick.

post-14049-0-21089100-1478526606.jpg

Rocket Glue for Card was recommended but I wasn't having much joy with it, the sides insisting they should part company at one end or the other!  I reverted to my tube of Tacky Glue.

This morning, I went straight in with Tacky Glue and magic! - it sealed along both edges sufficiently to only require minimum attention.  Job done in less than half the time.

post-14049-0-75300500-1478526606.jpg

A long way to go yet, but my confidence is growing.

• Like 5

Now for the underside.

First, I checked the instructions and online photo because the side has a slope with a change of direction at the end.  Then I checked the alignment before (deep breath!) cutting off the last segment rather than score and bend.

attachicon.gifIMG_2526a.JPG

I decided it would be easier to glue the edges of the underside rather than the (wobbly) sides to give better control in getting the thing to stick.

attachicon.gifIMG_2527a.JPG

Rocket Glue for Card was recommended but I wasn't having much joy with it, the sides insisting they should part company at one end or the other!  I reverted to my tube of Tacky Glue.

This morning, I went straight in with Tacky Glue and magic! - it sealed along both edges sufficiently to only require minimum attention.  Job done in less than half the time.

attachicon.gifIMG_2531a.JPG

Thats looking encouraging Polly.

I should know, but what scale are you working in? (I could only find 2mm version on their website).

All the best

• RMweb Premium

Thats looking encouraging Polly.

I should know, but what scale are you working in? (I could only find 2mm version on their website).

All the best

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the kind words but that looks as though it was the easy bit!

For Osborn's kit put "GWR 6 Ton Yard Crane" in the Search box and it will come up with links to the kits in N. 00 and 0 gauges.  Mine is the 00 kit.  Hope that helps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

..................but that looks as though it was the easy bit!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........... :scratchhead:

Having second thoughts on that!

Before progressing, I looked at photos of the model again.  As I was working from pictures of the N gauge jib (the one with the instructions on the webpage), I hadn't realised the alignment of the top frame was slightly different on the 00 and 0 gauge kits.  It's amazing what you just don't notice! So, this morning, I carefully separated the top from the sides and, after much looking at various photos of the prototype, I eventually(!) realigned it so that it will take the pulley at the top of the jib which is absent on the N gauge jib (sold as a wagon load).

While waiting for the glue to dry, I looked at photos of Ross-on-Wye and Colnbrook cranes (again and...).  It's surprising how much more detail is on them than on the model and I only looked to confirm the location of the kit bits!  The mind boggles at what we try to squeeze into a model and at what additional detail I might try to add!

Confidence?  What confidence?  :jester:

Don't worry! It'll soon return....I hope!

• Like 1

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........... :scratchhead:

Having second thoughts on that!

Before progressing, I looked at photos of the model again.  As I was working from pictures of the N gauge jib (the one with the instructions on the webpage), I hadn't realised the alignment of the top frame was slightly different on the 00 and 0 gauge kits.  It's amazing what you just don't notice! So, this morning, I carefully separated the top from the sides and, after much looking at various photos of the prototype, I eventually(!) realigned it so that it will take the pulley at the top of the jib which is absent on the N gauge jib (sold as a wagon load).

While waiting for the glue to dry, I looked at photos of Ross-on-Wye and Colnbrook cranes (again and...).  It's surprising how much more detail is on them than on the model and I only looked to confirm the location of the kit bits!  The mind boggles at what we try to squeeze into a model and at what additional detail I might try to add!

Confidence?  What confidence?  :jester:

Don't worry! It'll soon return....I hope!

Keep at it Polly, I'm relying on you to show me the way through this. I need one of these for Helstonish too.

• RMweb Premium

Keep at it Polly, I'm relying on you to show me the way through this. I need one of these for Helstonish too.

Thanks, Tony.  As you're following, I'll post a pic of the modified rectified jib tomorrow. 

Hoping to start the pulley blocks next.

Osborn's has put up an N gauge crane kit, now. [Edit With top pulley block.]

Till a few days ago, there was just the jib on sale as a wagon load.

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly. Im not getting pics on my phone so looking forward to seeing what youve done when i get home.

Hi Andy, if you know it, it's the GWR 6 ton yard crane.  Lovely little project.  Quite satisfying, at least when I'm not scratching my head.  My engineering knowledge is taking a bit of a leap!  Note I said "knowledge" - not "skills"!   Ha ha ha  (instead of Jester as you won't see him! Ha ha ha)

Come to think of it, I may have mentioned the crane when we met on Sunday. (Scratchhead)! 

Smileys for those who can see them!  Ha ha ha.  :jester: :scratchhead:  

Anyway, you're supposed to be on holiday....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

First, an apology for not posting a photo of the rectified jib, today.  I got caught up in working out how best to tackle the next stage and didn't take a photo.

I was going to do the jib pulley blocks but the support rods (don't know the official term) have to go in at the same time.  If I did that then they would be lying loose while I build the mechanism housing as they fix to this as well.  Then there was a long period where I was looking at the photos (again!), and at a copy of a GWR drawing, to see how best to model the prototype using the kit bits.  There are bits that are not included in my kit such as the chain drum and the axles.

Ray had a 1mm brass rod for the axles.  The heads removed from lace pins will fit through the holes on the outside of the sides of the housing to glue and secure the axles.  I would use the pins themselves but they are a loose fit in the pulley wheels and the cogs.

Hopefully, I will get it all worked out tomorrow.  I'll let you know.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Polly,

Looking good so far.  I find most, well a lot of the time as I model slowly is looking at the prototype trying to get an understanding of how the structure works, and I am talking buildings and coaches.  When I start I sometimes find that it was not the way I thought it was, or I see things that are important and should have been done differently after I have got passed that bit.  It is all the fun of modelling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Polly,

Looking good so far.  I find most, well a lot of the time as I model slowly is looking at the prototype trying to get an understanding of how the structure works, and I am talking buildings and coaches.  When I start I sometimes find that it was not the way I thought it was, or I see things that are important and should have been done differently after I have got passed that bit.  It is all the fun of modelling.

Thanks, Chris, that's most encouraging.

Yes. Some of the stuff on CQ is modelled on the prototype, but this sort of mechanical thing is somewhat new and mystifying, not to mention rather daunting!

I have started making some diagrams of the crane mechanism as seen from all sides, using the GWR drawing and various photos of the crane.  As you indicate, once you start looking, it is amazing how much comes to light but I am also finding out that it is not necessarily easy to see what is actually going on!  So long as it looks OK in the end, I'll be happy.  

In the end, I decided to take a photo of the kit (without the jib frames as I forgot to take one before I removed them from the board!), print it out, stick it to some card, cut out the parts and see how it best fits together before I complete the kit itself.  It's a bit smaller than the kit and three of the circular bits have come out a bit rough edged but no matter, I have the cogs to cut out yet!  Ho hum!

The housing was straight forward enough.  The kit comes with holes already removed.  For the card pieces, I stuck a lace pin through the sides to make the holes before I stuck it together.  Just as well I thought about it before applying the glue...!

post-14049-0-09701500-1479065849.jpg

• Like 5