Dapol "Lemberg" versus the prototype

Seanem44

I have read that Dapol's Lemburg features incorrect smoke deflectors. If they are incorrect, it is not by much. I have included a link to smugmug, which has very wonderful LNER photos from the end of steam.

The only difference I can see with the Dapol Lemburg and the prototype is the positioning of the engine number on the smokebox door. The prototype had it on the door hinge as opposed to the higher positioning on the model.

I'm no expert, but the positioning of the number changed places on the front from time to time anyways, right?

Overall I think Dapol did a great job.

http://tracksrevisited.smugmug.com/Other/60s-Steam-memories/14805943_Vjtsa/2/1106126007_dqbRe#!i=1106126007&k=dqbRe&lb=1&s=XL

The differences in the original deflectors and the later preserved 'Scotsman' deflectors are not too obvious. Compare the Lemburg picture with this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Flying_Scotsman_2005.jpg

As far as I can see the most obvious difference is the slope at the leading edges which is a shallower angle, going back further, and a little more rounded at the front. There appear to be a couple of extra rivets behind the rear handrails and the fold of the lower edge appears sharper on the originals too.

The differences in the original deflectors and the later preserved 'Scotsman' deflectors are not too obvious. Compare the Lemburg picture with this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Flying_Scotsman_2005.jpg

As far as I can see the most obvious difference is the slope at the leading edges which is a shallower angle, going back further, and a little more rounded at the front. There appear to be a couple of extra rivets behind the rear handrails and the fold of the lower edge appears sharper on the originals too.

That is the only thing that I was able to determine to be the difference, but couldn't tell if it was because of the angle of the engine or not. I feel that this slight difference is acceptable, however if I can find a delaer that has them, I will probably replace the deflectors with brass defelctors. Anyone know of a vendor?

I gather the deflectors were scanned from Scotsman without anyone (inc me) noticing the angle was wrong- can't get the prototype these days......

On some A3s the numberplate and handrail were swapped. On others (including Lemberg) the lamp iron was moved to the smokebox door and the handrail split to accommodate it. the numberplate was moved below the new position of the lamp iron.

I'm reliably told there were two alternatives- leave it as it stood or pay £5K for an additional tooling for tthis mod... On a run of 300 locos this would have upped the price by £16.66 per loco. Too much cash for too little gain IMHO.

For those who want to change it (maybe including me) a little modelling is needed- I don't know if brass deflectors are available yet- it might be a niche market opportunity.

All the very best

Les

PS- I suggested to Dave last year that Flying Fox should also have blinkers- if so it will need the same mods as Lemberg for the purist- if not the smokebox door is OK.

PPS -Lemberg should also have AWS flashes -BUT at least one of these was in the "wrong" position to start with and two others were stolen (one to end up on the Prefect Room wall at Darlington Grammar School (I wonder what happened to it when the room was refurbished c1970) and a third painted over perhaps the wisest move was to omit them....

They certainly have thin edges, but as the boiler on the Farish model was noticeably over size the deflectors may have been made taller to compensate. Certainly the deflectors on the Minitrix Britannia were not to scale size which is why the Crownline ones, just shot down from their 4mm version, wouldn't fit properly.

Holding up a farish deflector against Lemberg they are the right shape for the angle at the front but seem thicker plastic. Although I have two pairs I'm going to wait for someone to do brass ones.... :locomotive:

By that time I might need a few more than two sets (if eBay gets me good prices for Autumn's clearout.

All the very best

Les

Hi Les

I am happy to leave my "Lemberg" just as it is.

I have a second "Lemberg" waiting for me at my local model shop. Once it is run it it will be renumbered as one of the final Waverley three. Ideally I would have liked it to be 60052 "Prince Palatine" but I think the model as it is fits a renaming to 60041 "Salmon Trout" better - if only I could find nameplates. Sod's law the only one of the three Modelmaster show is 60100 "Spearmint" which I would also be happy with were it not for it having a different tender!

Roy

It's a shame model master doesn't have what you need. I will probably order some A4 name plates form them and turn Wild Swan into Sir Nigel Gresley or Mallard.

My Lemburg will probably get a nice and fairly heavy dose of weathering. All photos I have seen of her have been near the end of her career, where at that point the A3s and A4s were already starting to be kept in sub-standard condition.

Though I have covered this before, I am surprised Dapol have not announced plans to have Mallard in it's final guise, as it has been pointed out it ran with late crest for the most time in its career.

I did reserve a modelbahnn Mallard though. I really like BR Express Blue for some reason, and it fell in the want category as opposed to the need category.

Overall I am very pleased with the Dapol A3 and A4s, and I feel they have really done a great job. The wallet is hurting, with farish having the WD Austerity coming out soon, and a J39 at a later date.

It's here!

Cheers,

Alan

Yep, I happened to notice this evening that Hattons have them in stock. I have ordered me a weathered one - hattons have e-mailed to tell me the order has been processed...Yay:-)))

Roy

Archived