EM gauge chassis X 2; a Finecast A4 and an A3;

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon. The above shows an A4 and A3 chassis in EM. They came with what would appear to be Wills Finecast WM bodies so I assume these builds are Finecast.

I think these are quite well built with the valve gear looking pretty good IMO and the bodies are acceptable enough to be put on the modify and detail list so I'd rather keep them as they are. They were also a very inexpensive 'bargain' on that auction site some time ago.

My question, should you choose to answer, is what motor/gears would go with the axle gear shown and that would fit in a Wills body? I'd rather not dismantle the v.g./rods and wheels as I'll most likely mess up the rebuild.

Many thanks, P @ 36E.

P.S. (Oh yes, sorry but another question) The A3 came without a tender, so suggestions for a suitable 'replacement' would be helpful. Maybe a Hornby GN or 'standard' would do the job depending on the loco identity? I can't afford a Finny kit!!!

The valve gear looks as though some of its parts came from the old Eames/Jamieson LNER generic valve gear kit.

As far as the motor is concerned, I think you are looking at a Hornby XO3/XO4, or one of the many similar open-framed contemporary derivatives, e.g. Anchoridge, Jepson, etc. What matters most is whether you can obtain a worm to match the worm wheel on the driving axle. I'd suggest contacting Markits to see if you can obtain either a 30:1 or 40:1 worm, or both, so that you can experiment with gear mesh, etc.

• RMweb Premium

Yes sorry chaps about the duplicate blank. There was a power cut half way through my posting and it disappeared into the void. I did another one and so there are now two. It's been dealt with.

Cheers Horse. I thought Anchoridge too as i have one or two lurking somewhere.

P

Just some thoughts: The D11 is a very high speed motor with little low speed torque. The gear ratio would need to be at least 60:1. Hornby used to produce a front mounting for their rather basic can motor, if one was obtained it maybe possible to mate it with a more effective can motor. Alternatively Hornby use a open frame motor in their o-6-o locos. The chassis shown is one of the early cast chassis desined to take an

XO4 and Romford gears. Whilst it would cost more, why not get a Finecast etched chassis, you could then use whatever motor and gear combination you wanted.

Archived