The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Fire damages LMS saloon at preserved railway

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I came across this story of a "1930s LMS observation car" severely damaged by fire at the Chinnor and Princes Risborough railway:

http://www.buckshera...riage-1-4101741

What a shame! Does anyone know the exact type or identity of the vehicle involved - and can it be rescued?

cheers

Ben A.

PS Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section, or already the subject of a thread. I couldn't find one though.

Looking through their stock list that will be the LMS Inspection Saloon, built 1947 by the LMS; naturally that in NOT confirmed but it seems to best fit the description given.

Yours Peter Bunce in Manchester

• RMweb Gold

Looking through their stock list that will be the LMS Inspection Saloon, built 1947 by the LMS; naturally that in NOT confirmed but it seems to best fit the description given.

Yours Peter Bunce in Manchester

Hello Peter

Thanks for that. Does your list give the vehicle number and/or livery?

Hearing that the vehicle is not repairable makes it even more frustrating. I really sympathise with the volunteers at the railway who may have been looking forward to a restoration that can never now happen.

cheers

Ben A.

Is it this one? If so then, while any loss is regrettable, it could have been a lot worse. Similar vehicles (as modelled by the NGS) survived into the EWS era and there must be several in better condition kicking around somewhere (Google finds several). In my opinion almost any pre-Mk1 passenger carrying vehicle would have been a greater loss, simply because so few survive.

Preserved railways are under attack by metal thieves and arsonists more often these days - I fear we will loose a lot more items of loco and rolling stock in the not to distant future for all the reasons that have been well covered in this forum in the past :angry:

XF

Archived