Darn Sarf for a few days - what to do?

• RMweb Gold

I am going to Hythe in Kent for three days whilst SWMBO visits family down there. There may be the odd occasion I can escape so was wondering if there are any good locations for taking photo's in the area? Railway or preserved, in fact anything really. Can I for instance get anywhere to take photo's of the Eurostar without getting nicked as a suspect terrorist? I am going to take the opportunity to drop in to Duxford air museum on the way there or back as it splits the journey quite nicely.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Chris

Look up the UK Heritage railways map

http://www.heritage-railways.com/map.php

Richard L and myself are looking to spending a week in the south east. At the moment reasonably priced accomodation is proving elusive. On our list depending on opening times are the Spa Valley, Bluebell, Amberley Chalk Pits, and a few others.

Gordon A

Bristol

Bluebell a must Chris (well I would say that) but also Kent & East Sussex at Tenterden, and the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch is local. Amberley is good (especially the Southdown bus garage) but check opening days before you go. As for Eurostar photos possibly the SouthEastern platforms at Ashford? Never tried it, I don't know how twitchy they are.

• RMweb Premium

I've a real sneaking love of the RH&D myself and it's right on your doorstep. Bluebell is always worth a visit - Horsted Keynes is one of the more interesting preserved stations on the UK heritage network, IMHO.

I would also recommend a visit to East Kent Models, 89 High Street, Whitstable CT5 1AY, 01227 770777 (0930-1730 Monday-Saturday), and The Signal Box, Rochester High Street (A2) mid way between Rochester and Chatham, pay & display on street parking outside the shop, Rochester Station is a couple of minutes walk away (turn left out of the station). Monday to Saturday 9-5.

Well I think you HAVE to do RH&D if you are in Hythe - I prefer the Dungeness end - out by the power station is a very odd part of the world.

I personally would recomend the Bluebell even though the KESR is also near Hythe.

There is a pretty good footpath location on HS1 right at the top of the climb past Dollands Moor - E* will have slowed to go through the tunnel, so sharp photo's are a bit easier.

Jon

polhill tunnel at grid ref tq5059 Taken in 1994. You would need to check if eurostars still use this route, but it's a good location for photography

No, they use HS1 these days. It follows the M20 for a fair stretch to remind drivers how fast they would be going if they were on the Eurostar and not in a car. Don't know about photographic locations.

RHDR as a main line in miniature is well worth a visit and closer to Dungeness there may still be the remnants of the fishermen's railways that were used to carry stuff across the shingle to the road.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all of the tips folks. Much appreciated. I knew about RHDR and it was on the agenda. Bluebell as well but it is a little far away but depending on time it may well fit in. HS1 route I haven't a clue about so it may well be Ashford is near where we will be visiting so the station there if I can get on it without problems. Been a while since I went out taking pictures of trains and it will be a change to see something other than 66's and the odd 60 at Barnetby!

Regards Chris

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all of the tips folks. Much appreciated. I knew about RHDR and it was on the agenda. Bluebell as well but it is a little far away but depending on time it may well fit in. HS1 route I haven't a clue about so it may well be Ashford is near where we will be visiting so the station there if I can get on it without problems. Been a while since I went out taking pictures of trains and it will be a change to see something other than 66's and the odd 60 at Barnetby!

Regards Chris

At Ashford you won't be able to access the Eurostar platform as it is a secured area - you need a ticket and a passport to get in. Best idea if you wish to get pics there is to go on the opposite island and photo from there - if the station staff are agreeable of course (and check the Eurostar timetable too as only trains which call at Ashford use the platform. Regret I don't know any suitable lineside spots in that part of the world.

There's a footbridge accessible from Elwick RD, opposite Bank Street in Ashford, which affords reasonable views of most of the tracks. A little further NW is Gasworks lane, off Godinton Road, which actually takes you down between the High-speed & normal running lines, & is quite good from a spotting point of view.. (This is where the old LCDR station once was..)

The old Ashford works building is also worth a visit, though I've not been there for some time, one used to be able to drive straight in the gate, which is reached under the Ashford-Hastings line bridge off a roundabout between the retail park & the station.

If you follow Newtown Rd past the works, there's another footbridge SE of there, though I've not tried it for a view...

Otherwise, I'd agree that visiting the KESR is a must. Also recommend 'The Pilot' pub at Dungy for fish & chips, if you can get in there!

To add to this;

near Saltwood and Sandling, there are several locations with reasonable possibilities to photograph both HS1 (or CTRL as we still refer to it ..)- I wouldn't bother with Ashford station, as it's got barriers and too many security staff with not enough to do..

Dolland's Moor has a few vantage points, but perilously little traffic.

If you take the road from Dolland's Moor towards Folkestone, turn left just before the bridges carrying the road and rail links to the tunnel (signposted Newington). Follow this road through the villages of Peene and Newington, and carry on up the bank. When you reach the summit, the road widens out, and there are several parking places offering panoramic views of both the Eurotunnel terminal, and the rest of Folkestone. Be aware that this road is very narrow; use your horn, and keep your window down so you can hear other traffic approaching.

On the other side of Folkestone, it is possible to drive down to see the Warren, with the Folkestone-Dover line at the bottom of the cliffs. If you walk along the foreshore, you can still see traces of the narrow-gauge tracks which carried materials to repair the sea defences.

Definitely a visit to Amberley - I was there a couple of weeks ago and it is an excellent day out. It is open every day during the West Sussex school holidays, but normally only Wednesdays-Sundays.

The RH&DR and the Spa Valley Railway are both worth a visit if you've got time. However, bear in mind that due to the state of the roads in that part of the country, it will take you ages to get anywhere.

Main line photo opportunities abound - but the rolling stock is sadly less than interesting these days. Although I did see a 37 on my way up to London - which you would never have seen years ago! Hither Green, on the other hand was empty - not a single locomotive to be seen.

If locomotives are your thing, you might be lucky enough to capture a shot of the Nuclear Train from Dungeness - the Dungeness Branch is very picturesque, but I don't know how often the trains run these days. Probably not that often.

Chris - a "journey break" at Duxford isn't going to work - it isn't somewhere you can "nip round" ( more of a "most of a day" job)- you will need a nightstop - I used to live a couple of miles north of there - depending on your requirements, you could overnight in the Travel Lodge at Cambridge Fourwentways 6.8 miles away from Cambridge A 10 and around 4 miles up the road towards Norwich from Duxford - just a thought

Jack

• RMweb Gold

Once again thanks to everyone for you help with this. I am travelling down first thing tomorrow after I drop off Charlie the Barra Brith thief at kennels!

Jack thanks for your thoughts. I have visited once before and it was the last time I ever took my mum and dad out together. My mum died shortly after and my dad just over a year after that. So even if it is a rushed visit it is more of a sentimental visit than anything else. It wasn't actually until I was driving them to the museum that I found out that Duxford was where they met during their National Service. So as you maybe could imagine it it something I would still like to do even though it will be quite sad.

As for the railway stuff, well I shall have a good run around and use the information that you folk have kindly offered as and when I can. Once more the forum shows itself to be the best place for help and a credit to all involved.

Regards Chris

• RMweb Gold

Well I managed to have a 'little' bit of trackside time and managed to take a few pictures. By looking at the map and driving around I managed to find a good spot to see the HS1 track and the normal track here. Just off the A20 at the M20 junction 11.

post-6685-0-46952600-1344013736_thumb.jpg

Obviously I did not have the faintest idea how often the Eurostar ran so just stood around and waited. Within minutes.......

post-6685-0-98534100-1344014090_thumb.jpg

Bit grubby aren't they?

post-6685-0-66812200-1344014374_thumb.jpg

post-6685-0-17556100-1344014555_thumb.jpg

Random picture of some signal stuff for Beast!

post-6685-0-91546600-1344014843_thumb.jpg

More mundane stock but still new to me. By the way what are the yellow triangle on blue background signs?

post-6685-0-18652700-1344015004_thumb.jpg

post-6685-0-20565300-1344015208_thumb.jpg

post-6685-0-15526500-1344015300_thumb.jpg

Oh and a going away shot for Beast as well!

post-6685-0-69762500-1344015400_thumb.jpg

Then the following day after checking the map out I thought I would try another roadbridge and was surprised to come across an sign saying EWS depot. Apparently it is Dolland's Moor which according to the Fat Controller of this Parish isn't what it used to be. Thanks Brian.

post-6685-0-97192100-1344015610_thumb.jpg

Came across a few locos doing nothing and a couple of wagons doing about the same. Massive yard and nothing to see!

post-6685-0-83355500-1344015955_thumb.jpg

Just for the record they were from left to right,

92039 Marco Polo

92019 Wagner

92026 Britten

post-6685-0-44572900-1344016511_thumb.jpg

post-6685-0-47649600-1344016696_thumb.jpg

I will try and load these now and hope I don't get hit by a Sql!

Chris,

The yellow and blue lineside signs are known as 'répéres' (I don't know the English equivalent- perhaps 'markers'?); they're at points where you'd normally expect to find a lineside signal. They simply provide a physical reference on the ground, should the driver receive a sudden 'three zeros in cab' on the TVM display panel. The signaller will contact the driver, asking where they are in relation to the 'répére- should the signal be closed for no obvious reason, it is usual for the driver to be asked to complete a FREP ( a numbered and dated form) before authorisation to pass the 'signal' is given.

• RMweb Gold

OK so a few more and I hope I am not boring everyone!

Wouldn't want to have to lay this on a layout. Torturous track or what?

post-6685-0-33351400-1344017324_thumb.jpg

Hard to believe this all ends up as four tracks. HS1 is the single track climbing up over the top of the EMU.

post-6685-0-96983700-1344017552_thumb.jpg

post-6685-0-91328900-1344017698_thumb.jpg

Incoming Eurostar.

post-6685-0-24476600-1344017859_thumb.jpg

Snaking it's way over the top and back down.

post-6685-0-97435500-1344018017_thumb.jpg

For me it was an interesting couple of days and certainly different form the semaphores and 66's of Barnetby. Pity there wasn't any freight to take pictures of but I guess it all goes from the Euro Tunnel port now. Whilst we were stood waiting for trains we saw a whole stream of lorries making their way up towards the M20 from the docks. Didn't get to see the Eurostars flat out but they do make a nice sound.

Regards Chris

• RMweb Gold

Oh and just to show it wasn't all main line snazzy stuff.

From the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch line.

post-6685-0-89149900-1344018568_thumb.jpg

post-6685-0-75129900-1344018738_thumb.jpg

post-6685-0-76506400-1344018804_thumb.jpg

We only travelled as far as Dymchurch but I was surprised at how hard the loco could pull. I cannot recall how many coaches it had but they had to add two extra before they set off as it was full. So quite some load and it fair belted along. Grandson not quite two yet loved it! Sneaky plan there somewhere.

Regards Chris

• RMweb Gold

Wouldn't want to have to lay this on a layout. Torturous track or what?

Hard to believe this all ends up as four tracks. HS1 is the single track climbing up over the top of the EMU.

Incoming Eurostar.

Snaking it's way over the top and back down.

For me it was an interesting couple of days and certainly different form the semaphores and 66's of Barnetby. Pity there wasn't any freight to take pictures of but I guess it all goes from the Euro Tunnel port now. Whilst we were stood waiting for trains we saw a whole stream of lorries making their way up towards the M20 from the docks. Didn't get to see the Eurostars flat out but they do make a nice sound.

Regards Chris

The 'single line' is actually the inbound part of CTRL/HS1, the outbound is on the other side of Dollands Moor yard and can be seen in the aerial view you posted - going behind the Dollands Moor admin block between it and the motorway. The bit you didn't see is the really 'fun' gradient and it is the link line between the outbound CTRL and the west end of Dollands Moor yard - it's like coming down the side of a mountain! The layout is arranged like partly because of the topography of the site and what was already there when CTRL was built and also to allow a flying junction with the Eurotunnel lines and the original connection from Tunnel Junction (which can be seen at right in the two top pics of the 19h24 posting - that stretch is where the changeover from ohle to 3rd rail took place for Eurostars before CTRL was built - i's also clearly visib;e to the left of the Eurostar in the 4th picture down in that batch and both ohle and 3rd rail can be seen.

The reperes are indeed 'marker boards' and they indicate the place by which a speed change should have taken place, or at which a train should come to a stand, according to the signals given on the TVM system display in the driving cab. The display indicates clear or a reduced speed or stop etc http://www.railsigns.co.uk/info/tvm1/tvm1.html and when the Driver receives an indication requiring him to reduce speed or stop he has to reduce to the indicated speed, or stop by the time he reaches the next repere. This is far simpler than it sounds as the reperes are evenly spaced so the Driver will know exactly where to expect it. The reperes on CTRL/HS1 look exactly the same as those in the Tunnel and in France & Belgium but are slightly different in that some also have a standard British position light subsidiary signal to given a Driver authority to pass a repere which is 'closed' (stop signals in Britain are 'on'/at danger or 'off'/clear; reperes are referred to using French terminology and are either 'closed' or 'open'.

• RMweb Gold

The 'single line' is actually the inbound part of CTRL/HS1, the outbound is on the other side of Dollands Moor yard and can be seen in the aerial view you posted - going behind the Dollands Moor admin block between it and the motorway. The bit you didn't see is the really 'fun' gradient and it is the link line between the outbound CTRL and the west end of Dollands Moor yard - it's like coming down the side of a mountain! The layout is arranged like partly because of the topography of the site and what was already there when CTRL was built and also to allow a flying junction with the Eurotunnel lines and the original connection from Tunnel Junction (which can be seen at right in the two top pics of the 19h24 posting - that stretch is where the changeover from ohle to 3rd rail took place for Eurostars before CTRL was built - i's also clearly visib;e to the left of the Eurostar in the 4th picture down in that batch and both ohle and 3rd rail can be seen.

The reperes are indeed 'marker boards' and they indicate the place by which a speed change should have taken place, or at which a train should come to a stand, according to the signals given on the TVM system display in the driving cab. The display indicates clear or a reduced speed or stop etc http://www.railsigns.../tvm1/tvm1.html and when the Driver receives an indication requiring him to reduce speed or stop he has to reduce to the indicated speed, or stop by the time he reaches the next repere. This is far simpler than it sounds as the reperes are evenly spaced so the Driver will know exactly where to expect it. The reperes on CTRL/HS1 look exactly the same as those in the Tunnel and in France & Belgium but are slightly different in that some also have a standard British position light subsidiary signal to given a Driver authority to pass a repere which is 'closed' (stop signals in Britain are 'on'/at danger or 'off'/clear; reperes are referred to using French terminology and are either 'closed' or 'open'.

Mike thanks for that. I did see a Eurostar on the other side of Dollands Moor as I was walking up onto the road bridge but was unable to get a picture. At that time I assumed both lines were there side by side as they were at my first position. So then I was wondering what the single line was and then saw the reperes and of course when the train arrived on that line and snaked as you say over the rollercoaster I worked it out that the two lines are on opposite sides of the yard there. (Quick aren't I?) :no:

post-6685-0-97886400-1344064253_thumb.jpg

As for the gradient it is possible to see the train start the descent but it doesn't show that well on the pictures.

post-6685-0-60474100-1344064610_thumb.jpg

Thanks to yourself and Brian for educating me as regards the signage on the HS1 line. The other side of the reperes is here.

post-6685-0-24623800-1344064981_thumb.jpg

My schoolboy French is long forgotten so I googled reperes and came up with 'second chance'.

snapback.pngtrisonic, on 03 August 2012 - 23:18 , said:

I guess you've learned then that Southerners don't all sound like Dick Van Dyke in "Mary Poppins"?

Oh and Pete I did know that they don't all talk like that down there. Just the same as we are not all from Oop Norf! There is a driver at our Depot who is from Landon or London as we up here know it. Mind you he always precedes Landon with an expletive that begins with 'f' and ends with ing. Estuary English is I believe the term for it. It was meant to be TIC but then I guess you knew that. Do our American cousins still ask you if you know the Queen! :no:

Regards Chris

Archived