Cranford

According to Wikipedia, it was filmed on the Foxfield Railway. For such a meticulously researched series it's a pity that that they weren't able to use a locomotive that appeared closer in vintage to the 1844 setting of the series. Bellerophon is a real beauty but is very obviously a late 19th century loco and would have appeared positively 'space-age' in 1844. Perhaps Furness Railway No.20 would have been a better option. The perfect choice would have been the Liverpool & Manchester loco 'Lion' as that would have been around at the time.

According to Wikipedia, it was filmed on the Foxfield Railway. For such a meticulously researched series it's a pity that that they weren't able to use a locomotive that appeared closer in vintage to the 1844 setting of the series. Bellerophon is a real beauty but is very obviously a late 19th century loco and would have appeared positively 'space-age' in 1844. Perhaps Furness Railway No.20 would have been a better option. The perfect choice would have been the Liverpool & Manchester loco 'Lion' as that would have been around at the time.

I hadn't been watching Cranford, but was 'called in' to see the train. I asked when it was set (1840s) and I commented that that the Third Class coach was very upmarket, as it had a roof! And what superb brakes the train had too! I was criticised for being too fussy, but the women of the house would have probably noticed if a particular ladies bonnet was 'out of period', wouldn't they?

Yes, I too thought about 'Lion' but she's not a runner at present (if ever again..........). 'Planet' would have been a reasonable choice though, even though it would have been a bit old fashioned by the mid 1840s.

• RMweb Gold

If we are going to be pedantic about the loco then we should no doubt be even more pedantic about the 'halt' (from which it both departed and then subsequently arrived back at travelling in the same direction) which bore little resemblance to any sort of station of that era; or the track, which bore little resemblance to anything of that era or even a few decades later; or the lineside, which appeared remarkably verdant and overgrown for a newly opened piece of railway.

Compared to the infrastructure the loco looked positively ancient and the coaches weren't bad at all. But then 'Cranford' is about the story and some credit to them for at least getting some bits of the railway scene reasonably in keeping with the period and not lumbering us with Mk1 coaches in 'Victorian' livery hauled by a BR Standard.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are interested in seeing this loco at work, running with the coaching stock used in "Cranford" and have nothing to do on the 2nd or 3rd of January 2010 (i.e. this coming weekend), then please visit the Foxfield railway in Staffordshire - http://www.foxfieldrailway.co.uk/ who are running Cranford Specials on those days.

Hi, thank you for interest in the Foxfield Railway, famed after it's recent inclusion in 'Cranford' which was filmed during a gorgeous week in June. 'Bellerophon' the starring engine made a grand appearance during the weekend and has now been winterised in under to carry out maintenance. We are hopeful that we will be steaming the engine again during Easter.

Kind Regards Richard Barnett (Marketing Manager FLRS Ltd)

Archived