The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

all in one computers

jbqfc

• RMweb Premium

If I were to buy a new desktop (as opposed to a laptop) I would be getting an all in one unit. Whilst these are less expandable I don't see this as an issue as I would not be expecting to need the expansion that is offered by a traditional desktop or tower model. I would suspect that fewer than 1% of these models get expanded to anything like full.

95% + are never upgraded or modified in any way, so unless you are in that very small number of people who like to dabble with hardware, it shouldn't be an issue.

All-in-one PC's tend to be either in the budget price range (not many) or expensive end of the market; but the models come and go with varying degrees of success.

The most successful all-in-one computer is the contemporary Intel based Apple iMac series, but they are expensive and require a change to the Mac OS.

I bought one of these a couple of years ago and haven't looked back.

Also worth looking at some of the "micro" computers that mount on the back of a screen. The advantage is you can choose a screen size and shape that suits you but stil have a very neat, almost cable free package.

Again, no good for gaming or video editing, but fine for browsing, Office type tasks and even a little light photo re-touching.

Windows 8 is just around the corner and is designed to work on touchscreens, as is Office 2013. There should be some tasy upgrade deals available fairly soon.

A more flexible (and probably cheaper) alternative is to buy a nettop computer which is the correct name for these small computers that noiseboy72 was referring to. A good place to buy them is Ebuyer as they often have special deals on them, especially the Lenovo Q180 and the Acer Revo. There's even a website devoted to the latest news about them.

http://www.netbooknews.com/category/nettops-2/

Archived