Armoured Trains again

WW1 Amoured train in Mesopotamia

In WW1 my father was in trhe Royal Engineers and saw service in what is now Iraq. He always referred to it as Meso. He acquired a camera of 116 roll film format He took a lot of photos whilst he was out there but only a few are of Railway interest. Some of these are attached below. I cannot give many dertails and cannot mow ask questions (why do we always wait until it is too late).

I apolgise for the quality of these but they were scanned from sepia negatives long kept in a box. My mother (bless her) saw fit to dispose of the negatives. To her they were just junk.

I realise that these are not strictly relevent to this thread but I thought that they might be of interest to those interested in armoured trains.

I believe that my dad is partially the reason for my interest in raiulways, plying me with Hornby tinplate and taking me to Newcastle Central for special visits one of which was the appearance of the Silver Jubilee train. And yes I did have the Hornby tinplate version on that hauled by a streamlined 0-4-0! Oh that I still had it.

ArthurK

post-6751-0-15257300-1344194697.jpg

post-6751-0-64178100-1344194700.jpg

post-6751-0-88318000-1344194704_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-23862200-1344194775_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-12985900-1344194784_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-71790600-1344194787.jpg

Wow, what a fantastic little slice of forgotten history, I would full endorse copies of these being donated to the Imperial war museum.

• RMweb Premium

Wow, what a fantastic little slice of forgotten history, I would full endorse copies of these being donated to the Imperial war museum.

I have some others that are not really appropriate for this thread. There is one of the generator for the searchlight in one of those vans. Also shots aboard ship on the way. Then the port of Basra with naval ships in the background. Also the building of pontoon bridges acroo the river (Tigris?). I there is suffient interest I can post those as well.

ArthurK

This would be an ideal piece of rolling stock for the Victory Road lay-out idea on the Modelling Musings forum.

For motorisation you could use some cheap HO units. I bought a 0-6-0 diesel outline shunter made by Model Power for £15 from Shrewsbury Model Centre at Christmas. They had other HO engines very cheap. Th eone i bought (on a whim - not something I needed at all) runs very well and has a front headlight as well.

(Just for clarity I have no links with the shop at all - just a customer)

Now that you mention it, it would be quite appropriate for Victory Road. Very utilitarian appearance.

And yeah, I've been thinking about small HO locos. Will see what I can pick up cheaply at the Halifax MRC show next month.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest nzflyer

After D-Day I thought the Allies would want an armoured train more than ever! I'm always curious to find out if they ever had armoured wagons or wagons mounted with a machine-gun or anti-aircraft battery. I'm converting a Smokey Joe locomotive into a French railway shunter then hauling a armoured wagon around behind it in a little diorama I am preparing to celebrate 70 years since VE Day (more of an excuse to put all my Allied and German tanks/soldiers in one place in war-torn Royale-les-Eaux). I'm going to try take a five plank wagon and then add some card/balsa wood, an Airfix Bofors gun or spare 50. calibre machine gun then camouflage it and paint white stars all over the thing and scrawl white graffiti on it. 'Berlin or Bust!' and 'Helluva Bang!'. Maybe even 'Fury' on the barrel  ;)

What about the one on the R.H.& D.R. that shot a plane down?

OzzyO.

Sort of - the RHDR had a minature armoured train, used by the local Home Guard. However, the plane that was shot down was done by a "D3" on the Dungeness branch. Apparently, the branch train was straffed by an FW190 and either a cannon shell stuck the boiler / dome or the low flying plane struck the dome, but either way the blast of steam from the boiler was sufficient to bring the plane down.

• RMweb Premium

The RHDR story is that (allegedly) a Luftwaffe pilot attacked a train thinking it was a full-size train, resulting in him misjudging his height so he flew into the ground. It's been referred to on here before but I can't remember whether the story is actually true.

Pete

In modernish history there was quite an impressive armoured locomotive and some stock i believe, it was operated by HZ (croation railways) and was basically an armour plated 2062 General motors loco, if i can find a pic out i will post it up, i also had a look at a WW2 vintage czechoslovakian? Russian? Armoured train, its on display at the park Just near Zvolen station in slovakia.

After some digging, found these, again not my pics obviously a soldiers during the hostilites.

Interesting non the less!

The loco was in this picture serbian 664 loco, but during hostlities was used by the Serbian army and did see action in the siege of Bihac.

Even ive learnt something there as this isnt the loco i was thinking about, ill keep digging for the croation loco.

post-7260-0-86867400-1426541806.jpg

post-7260-0-52462000-1426541816.jpg

post-7260-0-56674900-1426541834.jpg

This is the one i was thinking of, Croation (Hz) 2062-045 in a slightly more armoured state than the Serbian loco.

Again not my pics, i believe the loco was left a split a while after hostilities ceased which is where these shots are taken.

post-7260-0-21744800-1426544427_thumb.jpg

post-7260-0-40954800-1426544437_thumb.jpg

Guest nzflyer

Surely a modern image armoured train wouldn't be that hard to construct!? Drab olive green Class 60 hauling two ex-EWS coal hoppers with guns poking out the sides?

Surely a modern image armoured train wouldn't be that hard to construct!? Drab olive green Class 60 hauling two ex-EWS coal hoppers with guns poking out the sides?

knowing us though, we'd build an overhead electric armoured train using old class 92's then shoot the overhead wires with the AA gun when an aircraft appeared above.

• RMweb Premium

knowing us though, we'd build an overhead electric armoured train using old class 92's then shoot the overhead wires with the AA gun when an aircraft appeared above.

If the gun barrels don't touch the wires first. :O

Archived