Bargain sound fitted 57

gronk the shunter

Just seen that hattons are selling a sound fitted freightliner 57 for £119. It's no use to me whatsoever unfortunately! The loksound alone costs about £100 doesn't it, so that's a loco for 19quid - got to be a bargain!

(Just before I'm accused of being a hatton's salesperson, I've no connection with them at all, other than being a customer)

Can I transfer the insides of this 57/0 to my RailExclusive 57/6? Comparing the pics on the respective web site there seems to be difference. Ignoring any Bachmann guarantees, if I transfer the chip and speaker from the 57/0 to the 57/6 will it have the correct sound?!?

Thanks

Luke

• RMweb Premium

The lights are different between the 57/0 and 57/6. So you will have to rewire them. (I haven't got access to my 57 wiring notes at the mo.)

What decoder socket is the 57/6 fited with?

The sound 57/0 will be a 21 pin decoder. I think the earlier 57's don't have spaces for a speaker - my sound 57's have been done with 2x23mm rounds in the fuel tanks.

Cheers,

Mick

"but, I imagine, it would be missing some sounds generated only by ETH 57s"

Hi James 90012,

That's exactly what I was wondering. Ok, so the chip stays in the 57/0.

Or it will do once the replacement arrives! Weird but only 4 of the 6 axles were under power. The inner two at one end ran free. There seemed to be almost no connection between the drive gears and the gear on the middle axle. No teeth seemed missing, it just didn't mesh.

Told Hattons, the said to send it straight back. Will be in the post on Thursday.

Known problem?

Luke

• RMweb Premium

The chip would be suitable, but, I imagine, it would be missing some sounds generated only by ETH 57s. Fantastic chip by the way.

Are there any extra sounds form the ETH? Surely all it does is add a bit of extra load to the engine, so no more than a bit of notching up.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi folks - I have been lucky enough to bag one of the 57's but was surprised that the sound works on dc too - I have only ever known that on Hornby RTR sound loco's or aftermarket chips from Howes etc.

Is this the norm for the Bachmann 57 as my 20 and 37 dont have the chip set up that way ?

Thanks

Chris

By default, most Bachmann locos to date have had the sound set to off on DC. I wonder if this marks a change in policy by Bachmann.

I have had the task on several occasions of changing Bachmann sound locos to allow sound on DC for friends (which involved changing CV13 to a value of 1, at least on LokSound v3.5 decoders).

So very tempted... a good deal and a nice looking loco. But it's summer and it's not BR Blue, so I can't justify it right now. If they're still there in a month or two I'll look again. Thanks for highlighting this.

But they can be repainted into DRS blue............... ;)

Cheers,

Mick

You're not helping here Mick... DRS Blue, would be my favourite "modern" livery... :huh: so hmmm... a day to ponder perhaps.

Pondered whilst removing all old sealant from shower tray in bathroom... ordered one whilst waiting for it all to dry. Not my era at all... but quite a nice model (stop looking at it as a wrong 47 and enjoy it for what it is as a nice bodysnatcher)... and will enjoy running it on my friend's loft DCC layout - my first factory sound... will be good to compare to the howeslegonmanbiffo and swd chips already used.

Well... like I said this is a long way from my era... but it was a good deal. Mine turned up whilst we were away and I checked it out today. Really quite pleased; the mouldings are nicer that that of the older 47 I have.... and it's clear to see why the bogie details are as they are on the 47 now... they're fine on the 57 and the sandboxes and pipes make it look much better. The finish is good, although there were a couple of imperfections with the yellow paint: some on the high intensity light at the no2 end and some bleed on the "Freightliner" on one side... although that was tidies with a little t-cut and cocktail stick. The end will be tidied and lost under a little weathering at the appropriate time.

It certainly sounds nothing like a 47 does it - I'd forgotten how different they were... but sound was fine. Posed briefly on Napier Lane sidings and it'll get a test run (-in)on my friends layout next week. Well worth the money.

post-8351-0-66939700-1345312272.jpg

thanks for highlighting this "bargain"

Jon

Archived