Motor for the Slaters Manning Wardle

Ruston

I'm currently building the 7mm scale Manning Wardle class F kit from Slaters.

It appears that it has been designed to take a Portescap motor but this, and the gearing, is no longer supplied so...

I don't know much about these motors but am I right in thinking they are brushless? I'm sure I read that somewhere. Is there any problem in running them with DCC?

The gearbox shown in the instructions is some kind of multi-stage thing that's attached to the end of the motor and an axle with an encased worm drive goes on the end of this but, of course, none of this is supplied anymore. Does anyone know a supplier of the motor and a suitable gearbox?

Thanks.

It appears that it has been designed to take a Portescap motor but this, and the gearing, is no longer supplied so...

I don't know much about these motors but am I right in thinking they are brushless? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

They are coreless. The armature of the motor revolves around the magnet rather than within it.

Is there any problem in running them with DCC?

There should be a DCC-user / expert coming along any minute.....

The gearbox shown in the instructions is some kind of multi-stage thing that's attached to the end of the motor and an axle with an encased worm drive goes on the end of this but, of course, none of this is supplied anymore.

If you mean the RG4, the initial stage is a bevel-and-spur, followed by two more spur stages, to give a ratio of 34.46:1

Does anyone know a supplier of the motor and a suitable gearbox?

Similar coreless motors, produced variously by Escap, Faulhaber and Maxon are available on eBay from sellers such as "microlocomotion".

Slaters themselves do a few gearboxes / gearsets for 7mm scale.

Thanks for the replies. As it happens though I'm thinking of ditching DCC anyway. My locos all seemed to run better before they were fitted for DCC.

Perhaps someone can answer this while we're here, so I don't have to start a topic in the DCC bit but can decoder-fitted locos be run on 12v DC with the decoder still wired in? It'll save me having to remove them if they can.

Thanks for that. I'm going back to DC then! I was sold on the idea that DCC offers slower running but all I've had is grief from dirty track. They hit a bit of dirty track and stop dead. Then when given a shove they don't go immediately at the speed they were going at. I say dirty track but this is even after cleaning whereas I can go to my DC N gauge layout and things will run without having to clean the track, even if I've not touched it for months.

Thanks.

IIRC the Slater's Manning Wardel is designed to use 1/8" axles so any motor gearbox combination that's about the same size should fit. London Road Models?

I go and play trains on an O gauge layout that can use both DC & DCC, we have more problems after DC locos have been running with dirty track than when we just run DCC locos.

OzzyO.

Archived