Class 31 fuel tanks - where are they?!

vac_basher

I number of Deisel locomotives have the fuel tanks internally, with the tanks between the bogies on the underframe being for water for the boiler for steam heat purposes (some deisels even fitted with scoops to pic up water from troughs between the rails). Fuel filling points are normally on the underframe, but a tank can be placed anywhere within reason. Mostly tank placement was governed by trying balance the weight of the locomotive over both bogies.

HTH

Regards

Matt

• RMweb Gold

From what I have found on line I'd agree with the last post. Also leaks from the header tank in the roof were quite common apparently.

Which, together with the previous post explains why it burnt so well that night (and why it didn't make a much bigger 'pop' when the internal tank got a bit too hot).

I number of Deisel locomotives have the fuel tanks internally,

The fuel tank on the Class 31 is between the bogies

That's a bit contradictory :scratchhead:

Not being too familiar with the 31s I'm wondering if it's possible some had external tanks while others had internal ones.

It was 31247 that started all this for me. To me the "tanks" on that one look more like battery boxs.

It's funny because I'd always assumed that all locomotives had them between the bogies, as they were on Classes 47, 50, 55, etc. It would seem logical to place them there as it would keep the center of gravity low.

Check out page 11 of this document for the answer

http://www.scribd.co...rksworth-Part-1

Although it is a refurbished class 31, then tank will almost certainly have been there from the construction of the original loco.

As mentioned before a number of BR diesels had their boiler water tanks converted for extra fuel capacity, and there were TOPS codes to indicate this. "FA" "FB" and "FC"referred to how much extra fuel capacity was available, but I cannot remember which code represented which loco now.

Whilst on this subject I think it was 31178 that was modified to carry extra fuel, and I believe 31461 which has recently been in the news as returning to the mainline, was also planned to carry extra fuel.

HTH.

War story

whilst involved in the initial stages of 31174's demise by fire at Crayford Creek (nr Dartford) some years ago - we were acutely aware of the large underslung fuel tanks between the bogies and the gauge needle registering 600+ gallons and wondering whether to carry on spraying fire extinguishers was a sensible idea or just stand back and let her burn................

as it happened we stayed but eventually even the fire bridge couldn't save her.

That's a bit contradictory :scratchhead:

Not being too familiar with the 31s I'm wondering if it's possible some had external tanks while others had internal ones.

It was 31247 that started all this for me. To me the "tanks" on that one look more like battery boxs.

It's funny because I'd always assumed that all locomotives had them between the bogies, as they were on Classes 47, 50, 55, etc. It would seem logical to place them there as it would keep the center of gravity low.

On Cl.56 (amongst others) the fuel tank is situated on the centreline of the loco, between bogies, battery boxes and compressors. The gauge can be a PITA to read!

C6T.

• RMweb Premium

I think I am right in thinking that Brush 4s (Class 47s) originally only had 2 fuel tanks. Situated in the boiler and radiator compartments. IIRC only the boiler tank had a gauge.

Pete

That is correct, there was 2 fuel tanks in the type 4 (Class 47) and each tank has it's own fuel gauge, but the main gauge was situated at number 1 end on the sole bar.

Terry

• RMweb Premium

Terry,

I don't remember the gauge on the sole bar. Was it removed during works visits ?

Pete

They could have been, but the in my book collection I have 2 Operating manuals which covered the following locomotives D1500 - D1519 and the other one covered D1520 - D1861. These are early manuals when the locos entered service.

Archived