The human side of the railway...

HI

Thanks for the info on the tunnel lining sections ,on my way down I did see a lot of 66 parked up one behind the other with sleepers and rail , monster trucks filled with ballast.

Where they on their way to the work at reading?

Here are a few more photo's around Paddington

All the best

Darren01

post-6929-0-89875500-1366031537_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-29534400-1366031585_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-65150700-1366031622_thumb.jpg

Edited by darren01
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

From the days when they used to install new signalling with traffic running - in some cases literally a couple of feet away (like the guy at 2min 33 sec in for instance)

I used to sign the book in that new box, which had a fairly short life, being replaced in November 1976 by panel E7 at London Bridge. The commissioning of that new panel did not go well, with a passenger train derailed due to a wiring error, for which a Drawing Modification had been issued by S&T but not received on site by the installation team.

"Birth of a Trainspotter"

post-14921-0-28874900-1366106101_thumb.jpg

One of the crew helping out at the March Festival of Steam, having just lifted a young one off the running plate of 2705 from a photograph for the mother.

I was told by a member of the Rail Transport Museum that the volunteer loved the shot, which made me happy.

Edited by 69843
  • Like 16

"Mission Control"

post-14921-0-34602900-1366109578_thumb.jpg

The control centre of one of the AK (track recording) cars at Hawkesbury River in January. Me and a friend, who was spotting with me, were invited into the cab of one of the two heritage diesels hauling the train, and were given a look around it. One of the crew entered the cab, and when finished, asked if we would like to see the inside of the control car.

It's people like these gentlemen who are willing to give younger spotters like us a tour like that, that makes me enjoy being an enthusiast.

• Like 19

"Steady Now"

post-14921-0-19086800-1366110829_thumb.jpg

Last one from me this evening.

A mate of mine backing 3642 onto the stock to return to Sydney (same day as the one two above). Known for his large grin and beanie, both are lacking here as he concentrates on shunting carefully onto the stock. I have no clue what the black item hanging out the window is, but I think it's the radio communication device's handheald mouthpiece.

• Like 12

Diesel powered accordion.....

Er No.. "This is Bournemouth, we'll have no filthy diesels here!"

The unwanted PA announcement spewing devices pictured are powered solely by the wonders of electricity.

The place hasn't really been the same since the demise of the 33/1's & TC's...

Edited by Bert Cheese
  • Like 2

Here's a couple fresh from a day's spotting:

"Hot Seat"

post-14921-0-90681300-1366181828_thumb.jpg

The driver of a coal train that had stopped at the platform to drop off two drivers for the next train back down. After this shot, he gave the platform a good shake with 4x3,250hp diesels.

"Changing of the Crew"

post-14921-0-53193200-1366181996_thumb.jpg

The dropped off drivers prepare to mount their steed for the return coal working.

"G'day Fellas!"

post-14921-0-52320400-1366182011_thumb.jpg

Don't know how to say it better than the caption. The secondman on the Mechanised Track Patrol Vheicle has a bit of fun!

• Like 12

Er No.. "This is Bournemouth, we'll have no filthy diesels here!"

The unwanted PA announcement spewing devices pictured are powered solely by the wonders of electricity.

The place hasn't really been the same since the demise of the 33/1's & TC's...

:O   ........sometimes I think I'm a fool, on other occasions I verge towards certainty.......

• RMweb Gold

Are they outside bookshelves for WH Smith,s?  :stinker:

I have never seen "seats" like those before 

Bum perches, in effect, designed so legit passengers can take the weight off their feet, while the overnight dossers won't be able to use them for sleeping.

• Like 1

In complete opposition to the (rather saddening) story above, the other week we had a 'class' of EMU due out down here, and whilst photographing one, I had an offer from the driver to jump up with him.

Unfortunateally, I was unable to as I had other things to do, but I know I'll regret not doing it for the rest of time now... :cry: