RMweb

The human side of the railway...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've no time for the "OI, MATE!!" brigade. People can bring a picture to life.

I kick myself now, a Dad was pointing out the finer points of a Class 47 to his young lad and seeing camera asked me if I'd like to take a picture, yes says I and they politely moved out of what would've made a great shot. Still..

attachicon.gifLoughborough.jpg

I think this pic is a fantastic photo...the two guys on the left....you captured the moment, a few minutes either way and it would have been missed

Edited by Harry2013

I think this pic is a fantastic photo...the two guys on the left....you captured the moment, a few minutes either and it would have been missed

I know what you mean. Without getting into a whole steam/diesel handbag stand-off, I find it quite amusing the guys on the left are having a cuppa and chat while the N2 crew busy themselves with the necessity of steam maintenance.

C6T.

I know what you mean. Without getting into a whole steam/diesel handbag stand-off, I find it quite amusing the guys on the left are having a cuppa and chat while the N2 crew busy themselves with the necessity of steam maintenance.

C6T.

You're more observant than me, I hadnt read that interpretation.

• RMweb Premium

With the continuing works at Reading there have been a number of interesting Freightliner moves in and out of Chippenham yesterday and today.

The sight of both platform-end signals at Chippenham displaying yellow aspects this morning was a very unusual sight for the observers on the footbridge, but for the cyclist who had just collected his bike from the TGS of 1C04, it held no interest at all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20959297@N06/11667351024/

Edited by HillsideDepot
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I manage to get out on site every now and again, although I never manage to take many photos. However, the last site I visited, I had to move on to another location after finishing my work, so I decided to take pictures rather that draw diagrams (these could be done when I got back to the office). The site was Radlett and I was there for the first day of the survey. So while the site was being chained out and monuments being installed, I set about my task of lasersweeping. The equipment (lasersweep) is used to create structure profiles so that gauging assessments can be carried out (another job of mine). The lasersweep is controlled from a handheld PDA which also stores the structure profile, enabling us to upload the data to the computer system when it is back in the office. To put it simply, it works by shooting a laser which is moved by changing the angle of the reflector (this is in the box and the cover is closed in the images). This is what is controlled by the PDA and small, medium or large movements can be made to position the laser, once happy with its position it can be stored. Several points then make the structure profile, obviously the more the better but it's not always easy (especially on a busy site). This signal post was much easier in regards to time as it is off of the main line and the tight curves you see are part of a loop around a quarry. Actually creating the structure profile for this signal was not so easy though; the laser doesn't like matt black surfaces and can wander on its own, and when this happens you have to start again!

This shows the position of the lasersweep in relation to the structure, which in this case is signal post WH479.

post-15291-0-06952000-1394378130_thumb.jpg

A close up of the signal

post-15291-0-80163200-1394378617_thumb.jpg

A bit further back

post-15291-0-29562800-1394378429_thumb.jpg

Further back again

post-15291-0-20479100-1394378462_thumb.jpg

Finally, looking the other way

post-15291-0-06950600-1394378501_thumb.jpg

Michael

• Like 6

Good afternoon all,

Couple from the Watercress Line Spring Gala yesterday. Once again, brilliant event, huge thanks to the Volunteers and permanent staff for theie time and efforts bringing such events to us, Joe Public.

Apologies, I don' know the names of the subjects and hope you don't mind my humble efforts.

Andy 

post-3043-0-61631100-1394388753_thumb.gif

post-3043-0-77578700-1394388763_thumb.jpg

post-3043-0-00899300-1394388775_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

IIRC that would be the down siding north of Haywards Heath, in which case they have really let the trees take over the embankment by Mill Green Road. When I was commuting I walked down there from Balcombe Road, past the Fire Station to the railway station. The embankment would be covered only with grass and small bushes and twice a year they would have a mass clear and burn to get rid of the excess growth...

I don't remember the railings being there, either. Presumably some H&S-demanded addition.

Another thought occurred, that siding was also electrified up until just short of the point where it split into two sidings, and was occasionally used for stock berthing when the siding between the up lines was full. Looks like it's been de-electrified...

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium

The electrified line in the immediate foreground is the down loop (all be it reversible) approaching platform 1 which has a set of points off it just out of shot onto the goods loop that the loco is sitting on which in turns goes up to the now one electrified siding.  Four unwanted Class 456's were dumped in there a few months back.  The railings and lights are part of the specially installed authorised walking route to the sidings that are now required these days even for sidings that if they are lucky get used maybe once a year.

So the loco is closer to the station than I thought, near the location of the obviously now-removed ladder crossing which enabled trains from the up storage siding to access platform 1 in the down direction...?

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium

Picture taken standing at the London end of the down platforms 1 and 2 looking north.

Rough not to scale diagram of Haywards Heath as it is now, tunnel and Brighton to the right, London to the left:

post-6910-0-49971900-1394749294_thumb.jpg

Green lines are non electrified (mostly the goods loop adjacent to platform 1 down slow plus the Ardingly Branch veering off at New Copyhold Junction on the left.  The loco was running around and approaching the set of points on the loop towards the siding where it would use that crossover to regain the down slow and couple up to the wagons sitting in platform 1.

And if anyone can explain why Haywards Heath has its platform numbers the wrong way around (1 and 2 are the Down Brighton bound, 3 and 4 are the Up London bound all be it all four are reversible - with caveats) then I would dearly like to hear it!!

Edited by John M Upton