The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

King George V's funeral train...

KGVFUNERALTRAIN280136.jpg.e49d4ca7d01bf88c669ef63977f2f5b6.jpg

Disgraceful. Some of those gents are still wearing their hats. What's the world coming to? The youth of today - blah, blah, blah...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 4069 said:

KIng George VI, I think

Yes. The loco is carrying a BR smokebox number.

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Definitely King George V. King George VI died at Sandringham and his funeral train was hauled by a Claud.

The king's body was conveyed to King's Cross for the lying in state at Westminster Abbey, where the funeral took place, then hauled by Windsor/Bristol Castle to Windsor for the burial.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, 4069 said:

KIng George VI, I think

Agreed. The BR livery is an obvious giveaway (as is the style of dress: definitely post-War not mid-1930s).

I think the loco is actually 7013, Bristol Castle, wearing the plates off 4082, Windsor Castle

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Welchester said:

Yes. The loco is carrying a BR smokebox number.

The king's body was conveyed to King's Cross for the lying in state at Westminster Abbey, where the funeral took place, then hauled by Windsor/Bristol Castle to Windsor for the burial.

Very much so.  Back in the '80s when I was dealing with such trains  on the WR we had to review the London Bridge plans in so far as they affected the WR as part ofa general updating of London Bridge plans,  As part of my preparation for the meeting I went through the file and Train Notices for  King George VI's funeral and they included some clearly worried correspondence about the purple damask to be used at Paddington as part of the show of respect decorating the  platform where the train was to be loaded.  Apparently when the suff used for KG V's funeral was got out of store it was found to have inhabited by a large number of moths and new material was required with a cost quoted.  The next letter asked if there was any way of reducing the cost of 2/6 per yard for the new damask?

Of course  following the death of the late Queen that part of London Bridge was dispensed with which is probably just as well as I very much doubt the plan could have been implemented in time unless it had been drastically pruned since the 1980s revision.  Even back then I wondered if the pointwork and track plus signalling equipment claimed to be held in store ready  for immediate installation at Windsor actually existed?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

Defo the burns! and the gloves but never felt quite secure firing wearing gloves. Why firebricks in the back corners?  No depth of fire there was a sure way of needing a "blow up". You developed a twist and flick to fill the back corners and a shovel that was not "flat". I used to get the blade vey hot, and bend it behind a side rod then under the injector waste pipe to cool. You could fire through the trap on one of those horrible GN/LNE "chipshop" oval doors with an angled shovel. I stress never a Western shovel on a 9F.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

When on the SDR I use to use my own ex SR narrow bladed shovel as opposed to the huge WR shovel .... still got it out in my workshop.

Never could get my head round the size of a WR shovel compared to other regions

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

If you could get hold of an SR shovel they were a prized bit of kit! You d'not have to fill the pan on a Western shovel, half is usually enough!  But fill it with slack and let the blast pull it over the flap makes a really good smoke effect.

We used to relieve Saltley men at Tyesley  lots of them had their "own" shovels usually an SR one and hand brushes. My driver made one fireman leave his shovel 'cos the one he left me was useless! He was pretty p----d off! but I did return it to him next day and had a good shovel for the rest of the week!!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

If you could get hold of an SR shovel they were a prized bit of kit! You d'not have to fill the pan on a Western shovel, half is usually enough!  But fill it with slack and let the blast pull it over the flap makes a really good smoke effect.

We used to relieve Saltley men at Tyesley  lots of them had their "own" shovels usually an SR one and hand brushes. My driver made one fireman leave his shovel 'cos the one he left me was useless! He was pretty p----d off! but I did return it to him next day and had a good shovel for the rest of the week!!

Time for some more footplate stories please Mike...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Except the Hymeks, the WR hydraulics had headcode panel blinds that were set by a carriage key turning in a square-socket ended drive shaft, as 'Inky' is demonstrating here.  On cold wet nights, when it was sometimes my job as acting secondman, I appreciated the internal arrangements provided on other classes...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/07/2023 at 03:37, St Enodoc said:

Disgraceful. Some of those gents are still wearing their hats. What's the world coming to? The youth of today - blah, blah, blah...

Enlarging the shot a lot (in Irfanview) reveals two men with hats on in the in-focus areas; a man in a trilby in the foreground, who may just have time to doff his hat as the train passes him, and a man in a cap in a precarious position on the fence, who may not have a free hand!

• Informative/Useful 2