The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by Robert Chester : in the Factory at Old Oak, repainting 31 413 in 1976...

OOCRobertChester314131976.jpg.47f3e269e1633b0d000956bb6679bebd.jpg

That looks like John Wiggins and Paul Koch, who in 1976 I think were still apprentices. John, his father running one shift, went onto Brian Scarrot's shift who I later joined in 1984, while Paul went to work at Paddington ODM.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Davexoc said:

That looks like John Wiggins and Paul Koch, who in 1976 I think were still apprentices. John, his father running one shift, went onto Brian Scarrot's shift who I later joined in 1984, while Paul went to work at Paddington ODM.

Thanks for that Dave. I take it Paul is Mark Koch's brother...?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 10/06/2023 at 12:25, Rugd1022 said:

Thanks for that Dave. I take it Paul is Mark Koch's brother...?

I believe so. I worked with Paul quite a bit which was around the time of 50041's mishap with the sleeper from Penzance. The roof of the telephone exchange in Westbourne Terrace IIRC, gave a good view of the crash site. Happened to coincide with the periodical check of the battery room.....

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Davexoc said:

I believe so. I worked with Paul quite a bit which was around the time of 50041's mishap with the sleeper from Penzance. The roof of the telephone exchange in Westbourne Terrace IIRC, gave a good view of the crash site. Happened to coincide with the periodical check of the battery room.....

I arrived at Padd just a few minutes after the sleeper derailed, I'd caught the first Met Line tube from Hammersmith to make the 06.00 shed turn that day. I remember it as though it were only yesterday, the earie silence and the dust still hovering in the air. On arrival at Padd I wandered down to the Praed Street entrance and boarded the worker bus to Old Oak, everyone on the bus was talking about it and wondering what could possibly have gone wrong. Twenty minutes later we decanted from the bus at Old Oak and found dozens of train crews milling about in the lobby, booking on for jobs which had all been cancelled.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

They who only stand and watch - Old Oak (for those who don't recognise it) a mere 40 years ago and the first chance to try out in anger the newly allocated diesel crane.

The man on the left in the flat cap is Percy Best, one of the OOC  Yard Traffic Assistants.  I don't know any of the others

OldOakpitchin05rda1983.jpg.eeb9deb119f7b87f9d9c3d460feb3238.jpg

Mainly members of the Old Oak Breakdown Gang

OldOakpitchin07rd1983.jpg.888425053b4cbaacf5f1a8814f29c333.jpg

And again but you can just see Bob, the Breakdown Gang Supervisor in the cab of the crane

Oldoakpitchin08rd1983.jpg.6637fa73935a33cc2e1f442d2cd5971d.jpg

I don't know the chap on the extreme left but the group of three, reading from the left, is 'Zebedee'  (back to us) one of them maintenance Supervisors who I think later followed Tony Cole to Laira;  then Peter Birch - at that time the AME - and the grey haired chap on the right. was Mike someone or other who was at that time in RHQ M&EE organisation (j he also appeared in photos above

Oldoakpitchin09rd1983.jpg.d9601ec8b79494743f7b9bd017cdf49c.jpg

This was the scene before work started to clear things up

OldOakpitchin02rd1983.jpg.980d632806c5da38ba7ef5bbe446062e.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is Derek Tregidon in the cab of the crane. He was our overhead crane driver and one of the brake block changing crew. Before he got to play with the new toy, he would be looking after the steam crane that it replaced. Bob usually wore brown overalls and a white crash hat, so he is possibly the one nearest the coach and crane in the second photo. The guy in the middle wearing a yellow bump hat is Mr Jinx, one of our fitter's mates in The Factory. And the guy in the wooly hat might be Ken, one of our fitters who had a Moggie Traveller and also a Citroen Safari which just glided over the speed bumps on the road around the turntable to everyone elses annoyance.

• Like 7

On 13/06/2023 at 21:59, Davexoc said:

Is this the same Paul Koch involved with the DTG? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Davexoc said:

I'm pretty sure that is Derek Tregidon in the cab of the crane. He was our overhead crane driver and one of the brake block changing crew. Before he got to play with the new toy, he would be looking after the steam crane that it replaced. Bob usually wore brown overalls and a white crash hat, so he is possibly the one nearest the coach and crane in the second photo. The guy in the middle wearing a yellow bump hat is Mr Jinx, one of our fitter's mates in The Factory. And the guy in the wooly hat might be Ken, one of our fitters who had a Moggie Traveller and also a Citroen Safari which just glided over the speed bumps on the road around the turntable to everyone elses annoyance.

Could be.  Bob was definitely driving the crane - or in the cab - at one stage as it was the first lift the crane had ever made on a real job and he was very keen to see how it performed.

Incidentally 'Zebedee' was Malcolm, I think Wishart ,  only recalled that after posting.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

IMG_7325b.JPG.5ab59b8313845dfd748cbfbdd18378a7.JPG

Brings back memories, myself and youngest daughter (18 at the time) did a fire and drive on her back in 2016, which included disposal. Great experience, she loved it too, posing for photos at Cheltenham....

IMG_0511.JPG.be6a1a21b5d746a63d25c3372908ed5b.JPG

• Like 15