The human side of the railway...

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not to worry about John Mummery's bicycling endeavours nowadays as he has been flogging off various bits of associated paraphenalia on Ebay for some time (I think he's got rid of the lot by now - I'll check when I see him next month if he's at our Stoke Gifford gathering, he usually comes to that one)

Please pass on my best regards - I liked him as person, but he may not remember me, and he did not give me a great review, having been disappointed that I had not come up with myriad ways to save money (despite helping to cut out an entirely unnecessary third Sunday shift at Sittingbourne box, slashing the rest day working for covering the Sheppey shunting work (by doing it myself) and trying to make the box boys at Gillingham actually work for a living), whilst I was trying, in my very first, permanent management job, to actually find out what the hell I was supposed to be doing, and trying to learn and do, the bits they never covered in 18 months of training - not entirely clear in those days (almost all my contemporaries from that year's intake, had left within the first two years). Tony Goff, my next AM, was far, far more supportive and explanatory, but he was also to suffer the wrath of Waterloo, and was yet another brilliant manager side-lined because he would not be a yes-man, just like Alex Green.

But my next boss, a Geordie at Ashford (was AM at Margate prior to Tony), whose name escapes me for the moment, kept being promoted but was a total crook, and rightly dismissed for same, having got a contractor to double-glaze his house, on the promise he would get the Ashford Box contract, which they didn't, and so yelled out loud. This was the same guy who carpeted me for authorising the Chief Clerk at Ashford to buy some plastic storage boxes, at a fiver each, in which to keep tens of thousands of pounds worth of season ticket records, previously kept in cereal packet boxes, because the three, previous stationery requisitions had yet to produce anything. But he gave me a glowing review as part of my promotion to Brighton. No wonder we were all slightly confused and somewhat prone to behaviours not conducive to good team working.

I had a fantastic thank you letter, from the legendary Mike McKechnie (we were actually very close, for a number of reasons), when I left GNER as a senior manager, stressing my good points, but asking me not to treat all directors with great suspicion (he put it more directly and earthly). I rarely found any reason not to, over 40 years, and that probably helped me survive as long as I did, but it did not get me to Board level in any company or organisation (apart from my own). I knew why, but I did not like it.

This thread is about the human side of the railway, and is mostly about people who worked at what they considered to be the "sharp end", which I understand, my elder brother having been a driver almost all his working life (and who nicked my bike so he could get to work at 6 am, when we lived in Barnet and he had to report to Old Oak as a traction trainee). But the life of managers was, and perhaps still is, under-reported, excluding the likes of the apparently brilliant Gerard Fiennes and similar, who could strangely do no wrong. The 14 hour days, constant on-call, unthinking and thankless appreciation by both more senior managers (who were either largely ex-military, or straight out of uni types in those days) and of course by LDC and Sectional Council reps, who all thought we were the devil, even the ones I had worked with as a clerk. Even the current Mrs Storey thought I was an absolute , when I dared to answer the phone (or later bleeper, or then mobile phone) to yet another crisis or incident, although I think that opinion has probably not altered much, when I head off to make another bit of garden railway.....

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 19:42, Mike Storey said:

But the life of managers was, and perhaps still is, under-reported, excluding the likes of the apparently brilliant Gerard Fiennes and similar, who could strangely do no wrong. The 14 hour days, constant on-call, unthinking and thankless appreciation by both more senior managers (who were either largely ex-military, or straight out of uni types in those days) and of course by LDC and Sectional Council reps, who all thought we were the devil, even the ones I had worked with as a clerk. Even the current Mrs Storey thought I was an absolute , when I dared to answer the phone (or later bleeper, or then mobile phone) to yet another crisis or incident, although I think that opinion has probably not altered much, when I head off to make another bit of garden railway.....

Partially redressing that, John Heaton, formerly Area Manager at Exeter, has written two interesting books about his job. They are transcriptions of his diary, but with some notes added about changes which have occurred since. I found them fascinating, opening the door into the world behind the staff that we see as passengers; I hope that there will be a third volume. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, HillsideDepot said:

Partially redressing that, John Heaton, formerly Area Manager at Exeter, has written two interesting books about his job. They are transcriptions of his diary, but with some notes added about changes which have occurred since. I found them fascinating, opening the door into the world behind the staff that we see as passengers; I hope that there will be a third volume. 

They're good. (but then I would say that as I get a nice positive mention in one of them for taking a major role in keeping things running during a time of considerable adversity ;)  :))

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 18/05/2019 at 17:59, The Stationmaster said:

Not to worry about John Mummery's bicycling endeavours nowadays as he has been flogging off various bits of associated paraphenalia on Ebay for some time (I think he's got rid of the lot by now - I'll check when I see him next month if he's at our Stoke Gifford gathering, he usually comes to that one)

Kindly include a mention from me, too, Mike. John came and covered the Operating Officer job at Beckenham in the early 80s, with Gerry Uzzell stepped up, I think. John seemed to disappear after Privatisation, to the extent that even Bob Breakwell, when I bumped into him on the Welsh Highland a few years back, wasn’t sure what had happened to him. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Always good to get an acknowledgment - in this case a thumbs up* from the driver of TransPennine Express service 1P68, 08.54 Middlesborough to Manchester Airport, as 185111 passed through Deighton on the outskirts of Huddersfield on 23rd May 2019.

2062223093_Thumbsupfromthedriver1851111P68Deighton23052019-RMweb.jpg.eda75bb812b9278a7882123512aaa12f.jpg

It was probably a sign from him to say that what I'd come to photograph, TPE Nova 1 set 802202 on test, should be right behind him as he would just have passed it at Heaton Lodge Junction.

*it was definetly a thumb and not the finger.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Kindly include a mention from me, too, Mike. John came and covered the Operating Officer job at Beckenham in the early 80s, with Gerry Uzzell stepped up, I think. John seemed to disappear after Privatisation, to the extent that even Bob Breakwell, when I bumped into him on the Welsh Highland a few years back, wasn’t sure what had happened to him. 

Will do Ian - as it's the Stoke Gifford 'meeting'  it's firmly on my calendar so I should be there and John usually does this one as well.  John was heading up Wales & West at privatisation  (and very kindly rang me and offered me a job which allowed me to get out of the one I'd been given at Mainline Freight but I was only with them for a few weeks as my EG appointment came through and I left for pastures new).  I'm not sure what happened to him after that - he stayed with what was then the Wales & West company but at some stage moved to Thames Trains who needed a real sorting out but then came the Ladbroke Grove collision (shortly after his arrival) and he very ably steered them through the aftermath of that. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

2019_0525GranthamSteamFair2010004.JPG.a1c7b80cafc6acc483ef326e8e8b57bb.JPG

Rocks by Rail, today, and the Shark is having a last minute examination prior to commencing the days' service.

2019_0525GranthamSteamFair2010001.JPG.947e47c1142f7ed9707fb21d6cbb3ef1.JPG

General Briefing taking place prior to the start of the running session

Regards

Ian

• Like 5

On 18/05/2019 at 18:42, Mike Storey said:

Please pass on my best regards - I liked him as person, but he may not remember me, and he did not give me a great review, having been disappointed that I had not come up with myriad ways to save money (despite helping to cut out an entirely unnecessary third Sunday shift at Sittingbourne box, slashing the rest day working for covering the Sheppey shunting work (by doing it myself) and trying to make the box boys at Gillingham actually work for a living), whilst I was trying, in my very first, permanent management job, to actually find out what the hell I was supposed to be doing, and trying to learn and do, the bits they never covered in 18 months of training - not entirely clear in those days (almost all my contemporaries from that year's intake, had left within the first two years). Tony Goff, my next AM, was far, far more supportive and explanatory, but he was also to suffer the wrath of Waterloo, and was yet another brilliant manager side-lined because he would not be a yes-man, just like Alex Green.

But my next boss, a Geordie at Ashford (was AM at Margate prior to Tony), whose name escapes me for the moment, kept being promoted but was a total crook, and rightly dismissed for same, having got a contractor to double-glaze his house, on the promise he would get the Ashford Box contract, which they didn't, and so yelled out loud. This was the same guy who carpeted me for authorising the Chief Clerk at Ashford to buy some plastic storage boxes, at a fiver each, in which to keep tens of thousands of pounds worth of season ticket records, previously kept in cereal packet boxes, because the three, previous stationery requisitions had yet to produce anything. But he gave me a glowing review as part of my promotion to Brighton. No wonder we were all slightly confused and somewhat prone to behaviours not conducive to good team working.

I have only just caught up with reading this thread, you have jogged my memory of John Mummery, who whilst he would not remember me, I held in great regard following a successful intervention in the case of my long outstanding application for re-grading whilst he was acting Divisional Movements Manager c.1983.  Would the AM Ashford that you mention have been Harry Holt ?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SED Freightman said:

Would the AM Ashford that you mention have been Harry Holt ?

I m not sure the libel laws would allow me to confirm or deny...........

But, as it's true, yes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2019 at 21:00, SED Freightman said:

Would the AM Ashford that you mention have been Harry Holt ?

About a year after the Division folded, there was a cross-Channel day-trip to renew acquaintance. I recall Mrs Harry Holt telling a story about the Great White Wide-Mouthed Frog, although that was on the return trip, when we'd all had a drop to drink, no doubt. These were duty-free days, and the combined order from the party was amalgamated and passed behind the counter, thus enabling ordinary passengers in the queue to avoid having us in their way. This didn't suit another very senior railwayman, unconnected with us, who came and remonstrated. Mind you, he'd had a tough week, I think, with horrid events in his station at Paddington. 

Harry Holt had taken over Ashford from Fred Kember, I think. And on our outward trip, there was Fred at Dover, now working for Customs and Immigration! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

About a year after the Division folded, there was a cross-Channel day-trip to renew acquaintance. I recall Mrs Harry Holt telling a story about the Great White Wide-Mouthed Frog, although that was on the return trip, when we'd all had a drop to drink, no doubt. These were duty-free days, and the combined order from the party was amalgamated and passed behind the counter, thus enabling ordinary passengers in the queue to avoid having us in their way. This didn't suit another very senior railwayman, unconnected with us, who came and remonstrated. Mind you, he'd had a tough week, I think, with horrid events in his station at Paddington. 

Harry Holt had taken over Ashford from Fred Kember, I think. And on our outward trip, there was Fred at Dover, now working for Customs and Immigration! 

Did the Holts arrive on his large, loud motorbike, with him wearing his very large medallion pendant?? When I first went to Margate, when Harry had just left, several L/R wags were asking if they would have to clean a motorbike anymore (he used to park it on the Down Main platform, outside the Red Star office - you could still see the oil patches).

I gather he saved a lot of money in the Margate patch, whilst there. So much so, that we had to recruit three new shunters asap, as Ramsgate was about to shut down (he had banned all recruitment). If only Viz had been brought out earlier.....

My wife's Uncle Bill worked for Customs at Dover Eastern Docks at that time. I hope either Fred or Bill turned Harry over at some point! He was forever going to France, when I was at Ashford.

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Like 2

On 16/03/2019 at 16:15, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Woodenhead,

My suspicion is that both members of the crew are old codgers whereas, back in the day their ages would have been separated by approximately twenty years. Another observation is that there is a visual lack of what may be termed 'casual competence' in what they are doing, they are quite obviously deliberately concentrating upon the job in hand.

Gibbo.

At some depots in steam days (Laira?) I remember reading that some firemen were still firing in their 50s, such was the slow rate of promotion to driver. Indeed, many had to move away to other depots to become a driver before they retired!

www.chimewhistle.co.uk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Don't ask me what I heard about the desk in Margate Red Star office, or the cause of its collapse......

Flipping hell - I had forgotten about that!!!

Well the cause wasn't the weight of a Kawasaki engine, that's for sure......

We had a similar collapse of a desk in the Pullman Lounge at Kings Cross some years later, for a similar cause. But retribution for one of the participants was rather swifter.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Chime Whistle Books said:

At some depots in steam days (Laira?) I remember reading that some firemen were still firing in their 50s, such was the slow rate of promotion to driver. Indeed, many had to move away to other depots to become a driver before they retired!

www.chimewhistle.co.uk

Very common in major steam depots, simply because most men couldn't/wouldn't uproot their family to seek promotion in a distant depot. The London area 'chimney pot' depots were always wanting staff, and ambitious firemen from around mainland Britain would apply for vacancies, then spend about a year training as a driver and learning roads. But the first thing they would do on arrival was to apply for a lateral move back to their original depot, which meant that if a driver vacancy arose there, they would have preference over their former mates as mere firemen.  

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

Very common in major steam depots, simply because most men couldn't/wouldn't uproot their family to seek promotion in a distant depot. The London area 'chimney pot' depots were always wanting staff, and ambitious firemen from around mainland Britain would apply for vacancies, then spend about a year training as a driver and learning roads. But the first thing they would do on arrival was to apply for a lateral move back to their original depot, which meant that if a driver vacancy arose there, they would have preference over their former mates as mere firemen.  

Also worked very much in the opposite way. My brother started at Old Oak and graduated to Second Man, but got promotion pretty quickly to Driver at Cricklewood, in its dying few years prior to BedPan, because so many Drivers had left the depot there (either retired or moved elsewhere) or were tied up in training for the electrics. He decided he would like to stay on the Midland (as he lived nearby) but had forgotten he had put in for a preference move back to Old Oak........ So he had to go back there - there was no choice in the matter such were the rules - when his number came up. If it was not for Eurostar, he may well have spent the next thirty years there.

Very different to today's driver market, where you can move to whomsoever is offering the best money and conditions.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1