The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

My younger brother Mick, learning 50s for rail tour duties aboard 50 008 a couple of weeks back...

1791020544_VACMICK2.jpg.d5fdddf5ce1a21183c5e7a57961e27a2.jpg

No need to watch the ammeter bro - it loks after itsekf (un;ess they've been altered since I last drive one - which wouldn't surprise me as that is a long time back).   And make sure you do what you are supposed to do when that 'vigilance bleep' bleeps - or else ....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/03/2023 at 00:25, Dagworth said:

Not a photo but a story showing the human side. Some here will know the names involved

Also no photo available, sadly, but a photo is the centre of my tale, about unexpected human sides to the railway, related to the item posted by Andi (Dagworth)..

The photo is in black and white, and shows an office with a young-ish man shaking hands with a rather more mature lady. In the background is a stars-and-stripes flag, together with a photo of Ronald Reagan, which dates it. I imagine the pic was in Washington, because the lady was Mrs Elizabeth Dole, US Secretary of State for Transportation. The young man was Richard Eccles, younger brother to Graham (Andi's link). Richard had just completed a job managing, on behalf of BR's Transmark export arm, a resignalling scheme at New York's Grand Central Station. 

Fast forward about 15 years and Richard was now my immediate boss in London Lines, National Express's TOC grouping. Clearly his relationship with Mrs Dole had remained cordial, because in 2003 he made certain arrangements to ease the visit of her elderly mother to the UK. Evidently these went well, because one evening he received a 'thankyou' call, not from Mrs Dole, but from  her husband, Bob Dole, former US Presidential candidate. Not all of us get that sort of call, I suggest!

Sadly Richard, who was a couple of years younger than me, died last year, never having fully recovered from a stroke he suffered a few years before. A lovely, warm, cultured and amusing man, he made my last few years at work a pleasure. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

9 hours ago, Purnu said:

Congratulations Jo.

Welcome to the grade, I hope that you have a varied, interesting and satisfying career. 

Kind regards. P.

Thanks very much, also to everyone else that's clicked the like buttons on my post. Really much appreciated! 

Jo

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steadfast said:

I can finally lose the 'trainee' from the job title...

... and join the ranks of 'enthusiast drivers' ?

As on yesterday's railtour up the Deepcar branch (former Woodhead route), where the train paused in Sheffield Victoria, two orange people got out of the cab, snapped a couple of pics, jumped back on board and away:

1347101663_Staffenthusiasts.jpg.3a0b6d3e99c125c8e7002c37c0e2619d.jpg

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

16 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:
16 hours ago, Steadfast said:

I can finally lose the 'trainee' from the job title...

Ha, already there I think! No shortage of "while we're in a loop / being loaded/ wandering through the yard" pics on Flickr 😁

Jo

• Like 5

On 09/04/2023 at 15:31, eastwestdivide said:

As on yesterday's railtour up the Deepcar branch (former Woodhead route), where the train paused in Sheffield Victoria, two orange people got out of the cab, snapped a couple of pics, jumped back on board and away:

1347101663_Staffenthusiasts.jpg.3a0b6d3e99c125c8e7002c37c0e2619d.jpg

I think there is a bit more to this. I'm told the driver had a picture of the last electric passenger service leaving Victoria, and was trying to replicate it by stopping in the same place, on what could well be the last passenger train to run up the line.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 08/04/2023 at 23:36, Steadfast said:

Linked from my Flickr, it also happens to be my 1000th upload there. I've just done a thing.

Photo 1000... Made it!

It's been a busy week but it means I've made it. After last summer at Toton, and the time since spent being trained, I can finally lose the 'trainee' from the job title. The badge, presented by my mentor, says it all!

Now, normally I'm more interested in posting pictures of what I see, but the timing was perfect and I cannot thank everyone that has helped along the way enough.

That's me, posing with 66115 at Severnside after arriving 6C03 from Northolt, which I had driven from Didcot, via run round at Avonmouth BBHT.

Not normally one for trumpet blowing, but this was a super proud day.

Jo

Well done, congratualtions! A word to the wise.............................................................................................. the first forty years are the worst, but they will fly by!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

This despatcher at East Croydon was a joy to observe. She greeted drivers, gave helpful advice to passengers and was cheerful, friendly and efficient.

I hope you told her? It can make a person's day to be told they are doing a good job.

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11