The human side of the railway...

As the train is on the Up Fast I doubt the Driver would be very interested in being able to see a signal on the Up &Down Slow to his left.  I can assure you that the signal you refer to was fully SPAD risk assessed (i was at the meetings that carried out that assessment for the MML side of the new St Pancras layout and signalling - in fact I think I wrote the notes of the meeting) and the Sighting Committee would have taken into account the presence of ole structures when siting the signal.

Agreed that ohle kit can impinge on signal sighting but that is something which is taken into account when sighting signals - especially in the post Ladbroke Grove collision world.

It was Ladbrook Grove which prompted my coment. Thanks for the reassurance.

• RMweb Gold

Taken on the Bluebell about 30 years ago, hence the dirt and scratches. Can anyone identify them?

Are you sure it was the Bluebell? - The gentleman top right, looks remarkable like Tony Pirie, who was a driver on the SVR back in the earlies eighties (and quite possibly, still is).

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall

• RMweb Gold

Other pictures on the same roll identify it. In fact I don't think I've been to the SVR yet...

I can't argue with that - the SVR is well worth a visit though!

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall

I dug the scanner out the other day and put this on Nat Pres, really must make more of an effort to scan some more of my Dad's old prints.

This was taken by him as a young driver learning the Cromptons in 1963, and features fellow driver Fred Williams.

FredWilliams1963_zps60951ca5.jpg

Edited by Bert Cheese
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

66065 working 6M96 13:35 Milford West Sidings to Tunstead Sidings pauses for 3 minutes at Doncaster on 24th November 2014 for a crew change.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

It is noticable in the first pic how the OHL suports inpinge on signal sighting. The red on the slow line is almost covered

Looking closely that red is almost fully visible and the signal for this train has a registration arm across it. These don't generally cause a problem on their own, insulators can be the real bugbear.

It looks like the picture is taken approaching the North London line bridge at Dock Junction South, so the line speed from the signals would be 50mph on the Fast and 20mph through the connection ahead of the Slow line signal reducing to 20mph for all lines about 600 yards further on.