Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, rembrow said:

I was double tempted, as after buying one to become 'Defiant' ordered a second to become 5080 'Sir Daniel Gooch', the 'price was right'.

I’m sure you mean 5070 having two 5080s just isn’t right.

Brian

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, 88C said:

I’m sure you mean 5070 having two 5080s just isn’t right.

Brian

Correct, typing error. I have ordered the correct nameplates and cabside numbers, but 5070 and 5080 are easily confused, let's hope I get the right numbers to names.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest can anyone suggest the 'best option' for creating 5093 Upton castle, as it would have looked in late December 1960. I don't mean to the degree of what bits were falling off or if it was ex works around that time (but the latter would be useful), but so I get the look more or less correct, such as Chimney, Lubes, Cab and Tender. Not fussed if it is noisy as it will rarely run and I am quite deaf, but it does need to be OK for DCC (even hard wired).

Many thanks,

Phil

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Out of interest can anyone suggest the 'best option' for creating 5093 Upton castle, as it would have looked in late December 1960. I don't mean to the degree of what bits were falling off or if it was ex works around that time (but the latter would be useful), but so I get the look more or less correct, such as Chimney, Lubes, Cab and Tender. Not fussed if it is noisy as it will rarely run and I am quite deaf, but it does need to be OK for DCC (even hard wired).

Many thanks,

Phil

Look on page 2 of this thread Phil as this loco has already been covered.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Look on page 2 of this thread Phil as this loco has already been covered.

Thanks Rob. That has saved me a lot of time and effort. Some 'nostalgic' names posting back then!

ATB for the Season buddy.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Many thanks,

Phil

Key 5093 features:

Straight handrail on cab

Smaller cab windows

Low chimney

No lubricator

According to BR Database, on outshop from her heavy general in 1960 she had a Collett tender attached, but this changed a few months later to a Hawksworth tender.

I think Hornby's 5013 is probably be suitable for conversion (it is actually wrong for 5013 as has the smaller cab front windows!)

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have finally got round to renaming Abergavenny Castle to Swordfish, not as simple as I had hoped. The last Castle that I renamed was straight forward because it was possible to stick the new plates directly over the old ones but not this time because Swordfish has smaller plates. This is what I ended up doing.

Assuming the existing plates to be plastic I started to try and carefully cut the plate just above the splasher, having started I soon realised that the splasher and nameplate are metal, steel as it turned out. Fortunately the glue holding the slasher in place is not too strong so it pulled away quite easily. Having already damaged the plate support I set to with the piercing saw and cut away making sure that I didn't damage the splasher itself, once apart it was a case of careful filing.

1184222184_P1040798(2).JPG.8a78751dd5bbe6e8203740fd04e52a62.JPG

I was using 247 plates which fortunately match the radius of the splasher. I glued some L shaped brackets on the back to give a firmer fixing. The splashers were replaced and the new plates tested for fit, a bit of trimming was needed on the brackets and once happy I used epoxy to fix them, giving time to readjust.

90142485_P1040800(2).JPG.5194ace825461b4a3387f453f07bec77.JPG

The 247 plates were lined using their transfers but despite putting them onto a glossy surface they have silvered slightly which shows up in the photo, by the time the loco has been weathered it shouldn't be a problem.

P1040802.JPG.ae6e08ba81685e8352cf35f4cb504347.JPG

My tip for any one wanting a different, shorter name would be to remove the splasher/ nameplate and just cut the ends of the Abergavenny and either buy plates without the base or if you have to, cut off the support from the new plate and stick it on what is already there. That should give a neater finish with a lot less work.

Hope this may help. By the way, there may be some details which are not correct for Swordfish but if there are they won't worry me.

Brian

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 07/12/2020 at 12:25, G-BOAF said:

Key 5093 features:

Straight handrail on cab

Smaller cab windows

Low chimney

No lubricator

According to BR Database, on outshop from her heavy general in 1960 she had a Collett tender attached, but this changed a few months later to a Hawksworth tender.

I think Hornby's 5013 is probably be suitable for conversion (it is actually wrong for 5013 as has the smaller cab front windows!)

Apologies for VERY late response. Just been released form Cryogenic Suspension. I shall make a note and see which of my recent Auction wins might fit. Then, if unsuccessful, I might look for a 5013 swap with one of my bunch OR even buy 5013 if there is one!

Cheers GB.

Phil

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

It seems that Hornby have improved their Great Western green judging by these photos of the latest release of 4073.

4073.jpg.c25af01f9e6a78f0912627b5efc2d465.jpg

4073.jpga.jpg.9eca4c56ce5c0c4b8ab5e645b5956d06.jpg

It's in the eye of the beholder but that still looks quite dull/drab to me, albeit a bit glossier?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Always very difficult to tell from an online photo.  Proof of the pucdding might be in seeing one close up?

I very much agree, Mike, it's just that, if anything, Hornby's photos always suggest a richer/deeper finish than the things have in reality, at least in my experience.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

I very much agree, Mike, it's just that, if anything, Hornby's photos always suggest a richer/deeper finish than the things have in reality, at least in my experience.

I have already posted on this on ANTB. So to repeat here,I can reassure you that it is no longer the case that Hornby’s rendition of GWR/BR green is the travesty that was inflicted on us for years. Citing three examples released at least 4/5 years ago : Star 4013,Castle 5013 & earlier edition 4073.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Slider004.jpg.b4a29fb8a55629224557c9fe0b959a7f.jpg

On 12/09/2023 at 13:50, Ian Hargrave said:

I have already posted on this on ANTB. So to repeat here,I can reassure you that it is no longer the case that Hornby’s rendition of GWR/BR green is the travesty that was inflicted on us for years. Citing three examples released at least 4/5 years ago : Star 4013,Castle 5013 & earlier edition 4073.

Nearest to what I can remember what X Works WR Green looked like, is this. NOT GWR of course.

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

Slider004.jpg.b4a29fb8a55629224557c9fe0b959a7f.jpg

Nearest to what I can remember what X Works WR Green looked like, is this. NOT GWR of course.

Phil

And probably using 1950’s  Agfa/Kodakchrome ?  Great photo though.and yes it’s what my brain tells me I saw . TBH my visual memory….such as it is…..is of the time when Canton first had its allocation of Brits and they were in spanking pristine condition. 70025-29 with the addition for a short while of 70017 as a fill in for either 70025 or 70026 which was I think at Rugby testing station. Anyway there were two midday workings off the General .One to Paddington and one to Manchester as far as Shrewsbury. Both came up from Canton and stood in the middle road waiting  to replace the loco off the incoming trains from Swansea. Gleaming bright,safety valves blowing skyward. A vision to remember.Early 50’s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And probably using 1950’s  Agfa/Kodakchrome ?  Great photo though.and yes it’s what my brain tells me I saw . TBH my visual memory….such as it is…..is of the time when Canton first had its allocation of Brits and they were in spanking pristine condition. 70025-29 with the addition for a short while of 70017 as a fill in for either 70025 or 70026 which was I think at Rugby testing station. Anyway there were two midday workings off the General .One to Paddington and one to Manchester as far as Shrewsbury. Both came up from Canton and stood in the middle road waiting  to replace the loco off the incoming trains from Swansea. Gleaming bright,safety valves blowing skyward. A vision to remember.Early 50’s.

Around 1960/61 there were a couple of Castles I remember at Plymuff North Road, waiting to go east.

5069 IKB was a Laira 'Boat' Engine and kept as 'new, seems unused, in the Box'! It too was X Works standard and absolutely shining, including the Rods.

Another was the Gloucestershire Regiment etc. Same Condition; and that Nameplate!

However that Film 'Green' for the 47XX, is perhaps making the colour a bit Darker?  

I also saw Sir Edward Elgar on Worcester Shed in April 1963. Worcester kept a couple of its Castles immaculate for The Cathedrals Express I think it was? That was also bulled up, as was another Castle that I have forgotten the number of, and absolutely beautiful, whilst other stuff on Shed was pretty grimy.

Laira had lost most of it's decent Engines by mid 63 and I didn't have a Camera anyway!

The Loco's under discussion here are dull in my opinion. They should be really Gloss.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

However that Film 'Green' for the 47XX, is perhaps making the colour a bit Darker?  

Phil,

I am no expert on these colour matters but I guess everyone knows that BR Brunswick Green was a darker shade from 1949ish until 1954 when a lighter shade of green was introduced.

Kind regards,

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Around 1960/61 there were a couple of Castles I remember at Plymuff North Road, waiting to go east.

5069 IKB was a Laira 'Boat' Engine and kept as 'new, seems unused, in the Box'! It too was X Works standard and absolutely shining, including the Rods.

Another was the Gloucestershire Regiment etc. Same Condition; and that Nameplate!

I also saw Sir Edward Elgar on Worcester Shed in April 1963. Worcester kept a couple of its Castles immaculate for The Cathedrals Express I think it was? That was also bulled up, as was another Castle that I have forgotten the number of, and absolutely beautiful, whilst other stuff on Shed was pretty grimy.

Laira had lost most of it's decent Engines by mid 63 and I didn't have a Camera anyway!

The Loco's under discussion here are dull in my opinion. They should be really Gloss.

Phil

Worcester kept its Castles in immaculate condition right to the last.I do agree with you about the gloss but there’s an aversion to it by some ,though I haven’t read opinions on it now for several years. I think the 47XX was specially prepared for a visit by Dick Riley btw. Colour photography was mainly slides but the film was far to slow for lineside  photography unless you were an expert with the right equipment. I remember the price of the film included processing at the labs …Kodak ( Hemel Hempstead ) Ilford ( obvious ) & Agfa  ( ? ) The finished film was sent away bagged & labelled in its cassette. It was returned in a nice little container with the slides mounted & ready for the projector show. I think I’ve still got a collection in the loft. But I was and remain a lousy photographer 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Phil,

I am no expert on these colour matters but I guess everyone knows that BR Brunswick Green was a darker shade from 1949ish until 1954 when a lighter shade of green was introduced.

Kind regards,

Well I’m one who didn’t,sorry. 🙄. In 1954 WR locos were ,in the main,black,apart from Castles & Kings ( some of which were returning to green after a blue spell  ) .No worries,though….Swindon was shortly to paint everything that moved green. Most engines were covered in grime though.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have just purchased 4073 Carephilly Castle and have noticed that the brass strip on the cab leading edge is missing having checked photo's I can find plenty of evidence of the strip being there when built and the early years but its difficult to be sure on mid 30's photos when it ran with a shirt button logo. Photo's at Steam show the brass strip missing. Has the model been made correct or is this a error on Hornby's part?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.