Birkenhead Docks Branch Information (1980-1990)

Roadie73

• RMweb Gold

A few years later than Beast's photo of the 08 at Robert Smith's yard, I was responsible for an office block in Gateshead (Tyneside) which housed their regional office; on the wall of the reception area was a wide angle shot of the junction, with a rake of SPAs awaiting unloading. Presumably these were carrying steel plate for one of the local yards.

I'm curious about the Bogie Bolsters in Beast's photo- they seem to be departing with lengths of steel re-bar on them. Did Smith's normally send anything out by rail?

I remember seeing bolsters under the gantry, loaded but whether they had arrived for unloading, or were waiting to leave I can't say - perhaps Keith (FlyingSignalman) can - he was the signalman at Canning Street for a while.

• RMweb Premium

I am surprised no one has mentioned http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html you should be able to see the track layouts as they alter.

Paul Bartlett

Unfortunately the old-maps site is less useful than it used to be as the enhanced zoom facility has been withdrawn. It still appears in the instructions of how to use the site but it is not operational. I have sent four emails to them to ask if it is a temporary withdrawal but have had no reply. I assume that they got fed up of people just using the site to noodle around without buying any maps. Quite within their rights as a commercial organisation but a shame nonetheless.

David

Looking at the 1978-1991 map covering Canning Street signal box it shows the line as being single, which is not the case, it's still double over the crossing today. I think the (railway) map for this period should be taken with a big pinch of salt.

Edit - looking again, the map depicts all railway as a single line, be it double or single, although the Mersey double line does seem to be thicker, which means crossovers and connections are omitted / possibly inaccurate.

Doesn't this vary according to which date and scale of map you are looking at.

I wasn't suggesting that it had to be used for free, the OP seems genuinely interested and maps are expensive. At least this website permits choice of which map is wanted - perhaps more accurately and a great deal easier than having to buy several large scale OS maps all produced to a standard layout and then pasting them together.

Paul Bartlett

Thanks again to all who are ading information to this topic...

Michael - I found the penmorfa site via google images - it's one of the ones I'm using to try and piece everything together..

Paul - I have looked at old-maps, but from what I can see, picking any of the most relevant maps brings up what is essentially the same map - showing a relatively vast quantity of track at Cavendish Sidings / Duke St., without showing the progression / rationalization I'm looking for - assuming I'm not missing something.

That being said, it's something I'll think about, but I'm going to try and cobble something together first.

Nick

I've been looking but a sketch I drew of the Duke St area remains resolutely hidden.

I did remember that I had a 25" - 1 mile OS plan for the area (bought in the days when 1km square cos £1.10 and 2 x 1km squares cost about £1.75!) so I've done this very quick sketch based on the crossing at Duke St and including as much as I could fit towards Canning St but not getting fully past Vittoria Dock warehouses.

The survey date is 2/1968.

post-6748-0-67119700-1345576547.jpg

The running lines (as opposed to sidings) have > or < at their ends. Birkenhead North is to the left, Canning St North to the left and over Duke St bridge to Wallasey to the top.

Regarding traffic to and from Robert Smiths siding at Shore Road; early outwards traffic was reinforcing rods from Bidston Rolling Mill to Scotland for oil rig construction. This ceased when the Mill was taken over by a South Wales firm who then promptly closed the mill down.

Inwards traffic was steel plate.

Cammell Lairds used to receive steel via their own siding and when it was removed Ca 1981 a lot of it then went to Smith's for transfer to lorry for the last mile or so of it's journey.

• RMweb Gold

ive seen footage of wrong line running in this area, or was it? was the dockboard mainline like the Liverpool one, bi directional?

47379 above looks like its running wrong line

As far as I remember trains were supposed to approach Canning Street on the right line, there were no signals for wrong line running (in that direction, the LNWR miniature arm signal allowed wrong line running in the opposite direction), presumably there were engineering works of some kind on at the time.

ive seen footage of wrong line running in this area, or was it? was the dockboard mainline like the Liverpool one, bi directional?

47379 above looks like its running wrong line

Single line working over the dock lines to Birkenhead North No2 could be introduced between a variety of crossover roads as required. All that was needed was a clear understanding between the various parties involved (Canning St Signalman, the Superviser and Shunters at Duke St and Birkenhead North No2 Signalman).

However there were quite a few locos that became victims of that "clear understanding".

At an inquiry, after one incident involving 2 x 2 class 24/25 locos coupled meeting head on between Duke St and Birkenhead North, the Driver of one of the locos was asked "What steps did you take when you saw the other 2 locos coming towards you?" to which he replied "Bl***y big ones, straight out of the cab!"

on the "Steam on the Wirral" video there is footage of loco's including 9f's running wrong line around the tighter curve at Canning st north heading up towards Mollington st, I think they then cross over to normal running before passing under the road bridge.

reason I asked is I think Canning st is the boundary between BR and the dockboard lines.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few more pics, this time dated 28/11/1986.

post-6748-0-23845400-1348600029.jpg

post-6748-0-27755500-1348600037.jpg

On the Canning St North side of Duke St.

post-6748-0-40610300-1348600045.jpg

post-6748-0-59529600-1348600057.jpg

On the Birkenhead North side of Duke St.

post-6748-0-22637000-1348600080.jpg

The last was taken on the Wallasey side of the West float by warehouses used by GTS storage. They also used to receive bogie vans (usually singly) tripped from Shellstar/Kemira at West Cheshire Jcn.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived