Inner London Model Shops

melmerby

It went with Chris Parrish to Grosmont, if I remember rightly, and then Chris went his own way.

That rings a bell. Via York if I am not mistaken.

They were the main source of Perseverance items at one time, when these were the cutting edge in underpinnings.

Bernard

• 1 month later...

Yep that the Guy. Witek is a lovely bloke and will order Bachmann, Hornby Items and try and match Hattons prices if you pre order and are prepared to wait for them to be delivered. I tend to let him know what I want, agree a price and pop in every couple of month for a chat and pick up what he has available.....

MIght take a walk down there. Not far from my office in Ealing......

UPDATE: Well, I went! God Almighty, the shop is absolutely packed full to the gunwales with stuff. There's almost no room to move around!

Ended up having a very lengthy conversation with Witek - who has the patience of a Saint - though he didn't have anything in stock that was immediately applicable to P4/S4. What he does have is the most random shelving arrangements I've ever seen; there's no pattern to where he stacks the boxes of RTR and I'm amazed he can remember where everything is. There was a brand-new Bachmann 7F 2-8-0 crammed into a cabinet with Scalextric racing cars, for example......

I did spot some an unbuilt NuCast kit for a V2 randomly shoved onto an overcrowded shelf, so if anyone's after one, Witek is your man. Likewise, I also spotted an unused Pittman motor still in its original box - probably untouched since it was made in the 1960s/70s. There's probably a few more bits I would find useful, but they may be buried!

• RMweb Premium

Just to say that Jane's Trains of Tooting provides very good service at reasonable prices and my only connection is as a satisfied customer.

http://www.janestrains.co.uk/

Tim

Unfortunately when I visited the only loco I was considering was full Hornby RRP even though it was old stock and had been on sale elsewhere at a large discounts.

( I wanted to replace one I had bought at a discount and then promptly dropped and damaged!)

Keith

Keith

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread - I was on a train through Norwood Junction today and the NJM shop is still there, although I couldn't see if there was anything on sale.

Can I add my recommendation for Jane's Trains in Tooting - even if they are on holiday at the moment. They don't match Hatton's prices, but they are quite likely not to charge for small items from the oddities bin!

Resurrecting an old thread - I was on a train through Norwood Junction today and the NJM shop is still there, although I couldn't see if there was anything on sale.

Can I add my recommendation for Jane's Trains in Tooting - even if they are on holiday at the moment. They don't match Hatton's prices, but they are quite likely not to charge for small items from the oddities bin!

NJM has closed down. It looks like the shop has changed hands as there is a sign saying that a lease is available - NJM owned the freehold and after they shut the building was shown for sale, so I assume it has been bought and the new owners re now seeking to let it. Anyone fancy setting up a model shop in south London?

• 2 months later...

Patricks Toys in Fulham (out of West Brompton, turn left, walk 1/4 mile, it' on the left) still stock Hornby, odd kits and scenic bits. My only connection I that I used to work there before I left school! It's one of London's last independent toy shops.

What about the one in NE London ? Was it Jennings ? Used to advertise lots of lima.

I remember Patricks well, my grandparents lived in the flats at clem Attlee court a stones throw away, and I would go in there pretty much every Saturday from late 70s to early 80s

What about the one in NE London ? Was it Jennings ? Used to advertise lots of lima...

Closed a couple of years ago I believe Rob.

Jennings was a long-established shop in Enfield Highway, and was still open when I worked in the area between 2008 and 2010. Most of its stuff was way overpriced (a glance at its adverts in RM would put many people off) - the sort of prices that you will find on eBay nowadays. In that respect, they were some way ahead of their time.

Archived