Inner London Model Shops

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Will be in The Smoke next week and wondering if there are any model shops still in Central London.

I know Modelzone are in Holborn and Ian Allan in Waterloo but are there any others?

Janes Trains in Tooting looks a possibility but might be a bit far out to reach in the time I have available.

Cheers

Keith

Edit: going to try Steel Wheels in Grays Antique Mart.

At the end of the day, whether a shop is "good" or not can depend on what you're looking for. If you're looking for "classic" items (for example, I like collecting the old Crescent cast signals because they're easy to adapt to relay operation), then a "glorified swapmeet stall" is more likely to have it than ModelZone...I'll admit I've only been to WofS once (because it's not open on Saturdays), and then I didn't buy anything, but I did tuck it in my mind as somewhere to try if I was trying to track down an elusive item.

I can recommend Janes Trains in Tooting, literally Thameslink to Tooting (Junction) come out the station, turn left walk for about two minutes off the bridge and its there on that parade of shops. Its very much an old style of model shop, shelves from floor to ceiling with plenty of boxed stock on, neatly arranged 'rummage trays' around the till with items I've never seen before in them, staff that actually know their stock and exactly where to find it if you can't. Its great - I have no connection, just a very satisfied repeat customer.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

~ Gary

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for those suggestions.

I think I'll miss out Wheels of Steel.

Janes is within easy reach (I've a Zones 1-6 travelcard)

Engine Shed a bit far out but possible. Another possible is Northfields Model shop close to the LU station, 25mins from Central London.

Keith

Whilst not in central London, it is within the remit of a 1-6 travel card, Kent Garden Railways is a 5-10 minute walk from St Mary Cray station. I guess you won't have time to make it all the way out to the South East, but it really is a fantastic shop and worth bearing in mind if you have more spare time on any future visit to London. You also get a fantastic view of the 9-arch Cray Viaduct from outside the shop.

• RMweb Gold

I've visited the Engines Shed at odd intervals over the last 10 years but I must admit I was a bit disappointed at the selection of locomotives and rolling stock last time I popped in. Might have just been one of those days, I'll be sure to give them another try.

The number of model shops easily accessible in London has steadily reduced to the point where they can be counted on the fingers of one hand. By contrast, I can find three branches of Starbucks all within a very short walking distance of each other in Ealing Broadway.

I've visited the Engine Shed at odd intervals over the last 10 years but I must admit I was a bit disappointed at the selection of locomotives and rolling stock last time I popped in. ....

Dave Haswell has tended to reduce the amount of stock held. If you want a specific item or items, then he'll order it in for when you visit. Much of the interesting stuff in his shop is in the back room behind the counter.....

• RMweb Gold

The Engine Shed in Leytonstone High Street is a nice shop. Also 4D at Leman Street are good for scenic stuff if you want Preiser figures, etches or architectual model stuff.

Larger size sheets of styrene and the rack of Evergreen strip and molded sheets also make the trip to 4D worthwhile - a few years ago my place of work was only a 5 minute walk to the shop.

• RMweb Premium

The number of model shops easily accessible in London has steadily reduced to the point where they can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Same in my area. I live near Birmingham and the only shops in the centre are Modelzone & Ian Allan.

There are others around the West Midlands but it's not easy to get to more than one at a time.

That's why I thought I try and visit a couple of London ones on Thursday.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Sort of defeats the point of "shop" if you ask me...

I'm with you. This was always the big problem with Victors in Pentonville Road - all the expensive and exotic models were on shelves above the counter, facing the shop staff so you didn't even know they were there. By all means keep precious stuff locked up - but let's see it so we can buy it! Where "supplies" items e.g. plasticard or sheet brass etc are held, then a notice saying "In stock - please ask" would seem to avoid cluttering precious sales space, which needs to be full of the popular and new items that pay the rent, of course.

....the big problem with Victors in Pentonville Road - all the expensive and exotic models were on shelves above the counter, facing the shop staff so you didn't even know they were there. ....

The ones that I remember seeing on my visits to Victors had fairly unaffordable prices. Their one advantage was that - come what may - they could supply Grandt Line parts, including bevel gears!

Though not a model shop in the normal way the LT Museum Shop in Covent Garden does stock a lot of model buses and a fair selection of model railway locos

XF

Not known for its bargain prices.

Though sometimes useful for tracking down some items long after they have sold out elsewhere. (e.g. Previous release of the Bachmann Blue TOPS Domino Split Headcode Class 37 and Mk 2z TSO.)

• RMweb Premium

Update on my visits:

Model Shop, Northfields.

Interesting mixture of mostly second-hand stock. Cheerful guy who tries to please. You might find that long wanted item!

Janes Trains.

Good selection of new and second-hand items. IMHO new items, even non current stock, priced a little high, but with one or two discounted items available.

Modelzone, Holborn:

Usual prices, although greater range of stock than the other three Modelzones I have visited. Locos in cabinets as usual but, disappointed that all rolling stock was accessible only to staff (haven't seen that before) meaning browsing impossible. I have occasionally found odd items lurking amongst the piled up boxes in the past!

Wallet was left mainly intact, however I was glad I visited all three to see what was availble.

Keith

Is he the same fella who featured in this BBC report last year? (see bottom of page)

Yep that the Guy. Witek is a lovely bloke and will order Bachmann, Hornby Items and try and match Hattons prices if you pre order and are prepared to wait for them to be delivered. I tend to let him know what I want, agree a price and pop in every couple of month for a chat and pick up what he has available. I'm happy to try and support local model shops as most of shops I usedin the past have long gone.

I'd recommend his shop if you want current stock from the big two.

Mike

Archived