Hinksey to Eastleigh in the snow

Yes - the pallisade was a bizarre choice of fence for a rural location - I suspect one of my off-track engineer collegues failed to scope that one and we've had to stump up for premimium fence from the Contractor.

Reference the banks - yes, basically once you come over the top at 42mp and drop down into the Thames Valley the line meets "London Clay" both as support and construction material. The moist content of this material fluctuates enormously and the railway (track alignment & top) suffer as a result. Occasionally it catches us out when the Track Recording Train runs and we have to impose speed restrictions before we can tamp / stoneblow it. However, during 2012/13, there is a plan to undertake a huge programme of embankment earthwork improvement on both sides between Pump lane U/B (where the old slip on the down side is) and Green Park (the site of the new station). This should cure the problem. Until then we just have to used our skill and judgement in terms of track maintenance - just to reassure everybody - there is little risk of major slip occurring as the site is extensively instrumented & regularly monitiored.

Incidentally, the Track Recording train has reverted to coaches with an engine at both ends on the Southern after a year of the 2-car SMT. Saw 31106 (in proper BR Blue) on it at Woking on Friday last and almost wet myself - you forget just how good that livery looks after so many years of "art"

PS.....

The other recent ESR just north of Mortimer for poor track geometry was simply due to the fact that the trackside drains are "clayed-up" and need cleaning out - which has been planned. Unfortunately, we at NR are still playing catch-up & paying for the "madness" of 1996-2003 in some places but it'll get there. :)

Thanks for the insite into why I spill my tea between Reading and Basingstoke, really nice to know why "things are why they are" if you know what I mean.

Glad you like the pics Andy I thought this lot would be a bit different.

One thing about the line from Reading to Basingstoke is the amount of wildlife you see. If you are going to see a deer it will likely be here and as you can see from these 2 pics a Kite was interupted from it's lunch in the 4ft and a Pheasant was nearly on the christmas menu. Just missed a fox today by a whisker. Yep I must say the drivers cab is the best seat in the housebiggrin.gif

post-6766-12616035767984_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12616036179233_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much Brian.

Very nice again, great quality. And that while driving. Are you allowed to do this, can't you get into trouble ?

Oh how much I envy you drivers in the most postive way. If only they had allowed me a fair chance, but not so, being "into trains and modelling". :angry::(

Regards, Michel

very jealous, great shots. whats it like walking on ballast with snow and ice on it?

VERY VERY hazardous - We don't make the patrolling staff do their weekly walk if conditions are like that - a cab ride by the Track section Supervisor / Track Maint. Engineer is substituted.

good to hear, wouldnt like to walk near the third rail at the best of times

Mike

Absolutely - having stood directly on it whilst coupling a 16-car train of EPB's to a Crompton & 73 at Gillingham in 1986 (another story) and got away with it - good boots etc etc.

Although a good dose of snow does help us locate "hot spots" such as overheating conductor rail joints and insulators that are carrying load to earth.

Archived