The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Appreciate that Don, as I recall it did have the makings of a 'good read' and I hope you enjoy it.

I shan't be able to savour my read yet as it takes a while for the post to get it here. But I know it's on the way.

And other members too I trust will enjoy it. If there are any comments I'd be happy to see them.

Thanks again, Don.

Keith ,glad you enjoyed the article in RM and I appreciate your interest. I hope others have too and that a few more think seriously about operating in a systematic manner.

When Steve Flint, Editor RM, asked me for it we recognized it was not a subject that was top pf everybody's list. But it seemed  an aspect of the hobby that can open up a whole new field of interest to anyone with a layout. So it was worth doing. A little bit of O&M can go a long way in the hobby, work and in ordinary life.

As to your question: that was deliberate, It didn't have to be but it is a visual aid that makes the reckoning up a tad easier.

I came across these he other day, they are a little dated as they show the original Hintock and before any extensions/alterations made. Nevertheless much remains the same.

They also illustrate the nature of the supporting frame and the benefits of a finished and painted fascia. It pulls the whole 10' length together. With the result the layout is pleasant to look at does not intrude into the room.

post-3088-0-86053600-1376567406_thumb.jpg

The LH end.

post-3088-0-62893200-1376567465_thumb.jpg

The central portion.

post-3088-0-68381500-1376567549_thumb.jpg

The RH end, Off this to the R was a fiddle yard approached by a 18" radius curve. That in the next phase I was able to improve to 22".

Checking this out on pre-view the images don't appear as sharp as they should be.

• RMweb Premium

That's a very neat arrangement John, and should keep the domestic authorities happy. I Hadn't thought of bookshelves below.  Is your workshop/modelling bench elsewhere?

I've got shelves full of modelling tools, materials, kits & bits (railway junk) under mine.  When it was in the house I had curtains along the front to hide everything.

Cheers, Dave.

Chesterfield, I'm happy to tell you it's in the September RM (at your local model shop) at p728-'Operating Hintock' enjoy the read.

Yes Dave, it is neat and a very pleasing arrangement, it helps enjoy all the different aspects of the layout in its entirety.

It's in my office in the  'American basement', I'm fortunate to have, it's not one as such because the house is built on a slope and is what is known as a 'walk out' basement as we do onto a patio. The aspect is to the west across a valley to distant mountains.

In this basement is a large walk-in cupboard 6'0x21'0 and where I have my American HO layout (of which more in due course and where below I keep all my 'junk') and off that is a workshop area of about 4'6x7'0-so that is how I can my office tidy.

To comprehend it all this photo shows the deck above, accessed from the ground floor, and below the patio, looking south.

It's a very nice arrangement.

(I'll have to post the photo separately, I'd forgotten about that when I started to reply to you both.}

Artizen, that is a good idea: two drawbacks however, one in summer it's around 100F (today that's what its been) out there, and second in winter minus whatever and 3-4' deep in snow.

Either not ideal for the purpose. I suggest.

Chesterfield, I'm happy to tell you it's in the September RM (at your local model shop) at p728-'Operating Hintock' enjoy the read.

Yes Dave, it is neat and a very pleasing arrangement, it helps enjoy all the different aspects of the layout in its entirety.

It's in my office in the  'American basement', I'm fortunate to have, it's not one as such because the house is built on a slope and is what is known as a 'walk out' basement as we do onto a patio. The aspect is to the west across a valley to distant mountains.

In this basement is a large walk-in cupboard 6'0x21'0 and where I have my American HO layout (of which more in due course and where below I keep all my 'junk') and off that is a workshop area of about 4'6x7'0-so that is how I can my office tidy.

To comprehend it all this photo shows the deck above, accessed from the ground floor, and below the patio, looking south.

It's a very nice arrangement.

(I'll have to post the photo separately, I'd forgotten about that when I started to reply to you both.}

Thanks for that information. We colonials have to wait until the windjammer comes through the Heads to buy RM and some of the other overseas mags.. Just been able to purchase July RM this week (although not always as late as this !) Cheers

Chesterfield, I assume then, you are in Sydney

We are somewhat in the same position here in the USA with UK publications. I've only got my copy of the September RM as it was a complimentary copy sent airmail.

But all good things-they tell me- are worth waiting for.

John.

There are usually two versions of the Toddler - one that has come out by rowboat and is about 3-4 months old and the express airfreight version for almost twice the price. Cleverly, the importer puts a big green starburst on the cover to let you know this. Paying almost $20 for any magazine is a big ask unless there is something compelling inside, especially when you know the rowboat will arrive in about eight weeks (!!!).

Interesting, but is any magazine worth that money?

But, I think this is getting OT.

And to change the subject here's an image.

post-3088-0-86225800-1377261182_thumb.jpg

And another,

post-3088-0-61768000-1377261335_thumb.jpg

The Coopercraft PW hut seen here, is the only entire kit built structure on the layout. The Ratio SBx, in other shots, has been bashed to an extent.

John,

I have followed your layout with great interest; you have been very inspirational, I agree totally with your approach to modelling, so after many months of inactivity on my part I have finally taken the plunge and completed my baseboards to begin my long planned retirement  project.

I intend to start a thread on RM Web soon, so watch this space!  - Thank-you for sharing your superb layout and spurring me in action! Kind regards Plodder.

Hi John

Just catching up with things on here and the changes that have been made since my last visit look good. It was interesting to compare it with the early RM my wife picked up the other week.

As usual your work will always continue to be an inspiration to me.

Jim

Armin. Plodder, Jim, those are all very kind comments. I get fun out of Hintock-I've said it before, but it's a real place to me-and I'm glad I have given pleasure to you and all others interested enough to follow my activities.

I've had Hintock on RMweb here just over a year now and collected, last time I looked,over 22,100 'views', and I'm highly chuffed by that. Of course, on my own account but I'm more flattered by the attention Hintock has received. Thank you all.

And Plodder, I'll be pleased to see what you have in mind. If I can answer any questions, feel free to ask.

Yes Jim, quite a change since then. I think Hintock has reached the point when little more can be done, but you never know. This last day or so I've been 'playing' with it and I've had near perfect performance.  I, got and get,  quite a kick out of it.

With the kindest regards,

• RMweb Gold

I had to drive across a large part of Dorset (Gillingham, Shaftsbury, Cranmore, Fordingbrige) last week. The rural nature of the countryside is evident I feel your Hintock scenario fits the landscape to a T. ( Yes I know it is set a bit nearer the coast).

Those overseas might be interested to know that my RM subscription includes access to the digital copy. Assuming it is the same for overseas subscribers and the price is acceptable you could get a read early whilst waiting for the printed copy to arrive.

Don

Don, thanks that's a good notion to consider concerning RM, I'll look into it. However, I don't usually have to wait too long for the airmailed copy to arrive and don't they say patience is a virtue. That you must possess in spades as I've just had a look at  your current efforts in 2mm. That's far too tricky for me. I look forward to seeing more about it.

And I've had a look at the map, yes that route you took is a bit further away and skirts the north easterly reaches of the Vale of Hintock. I'm gratified you feel I have caught a touch of the magic of Dorset, it's around 30 years since I saw it last but perhaps one of the reasons it has that feel is because all the structures (bar one) are scratch built and individual to Hintock (not per Scalescenes, Metcalfe, Ratio et al), there are plenty of trees, no dramatic scenery and the railway is subsidiary- it's important, of course, but doesn't predominate-it's just a part of the whole..  

post-3088-0-52462400-1377745938_thumb.jpg]T

Trees are very much a feature of the English countryside and of many a country branch, (Hemyock, Ashburton, Exe Valley, Lyme Regis, eg) and Hintock is no exception. Here we have an UP GWR goods passiing amiably among them on its way to Town Yard and all stations to the junction.

They grow in clumps, add depth, height and colour to the scene and all of mine are hand made. That is from unstranded wire cable and Woodland Scenics foliage. I tend to make them on a batch basis. Because the cable unstrands in different ways all are individual.

In this second image the PW hut sits nicely in the shade below two trees and surrounding bushes. A cosy spot.

post-3088-0-27855000-1377746404_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-53301200-1377746562_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-57427700-1377746846_thumb.jpg

Gruffaloe, Rob, Jim (and others) it takes quite an effort to set up my lighting rig so as to get the best photographic results, and when I do and they are clearly  appreciated it is all so worthwhile. Thank you.

I'm glad too you like my trees, they do make such a difference, Not now residing in the UK I only get reminded by photos of the English countryside (my wife takes a glossy 'British' magazine aimed at the tourist and expats that specializes in that)  how many trees there are and how beautiful it is. I know it's not always like that but it's nice to think it was.

I think I have some half made trees and when I find them and take a few photos I'll put them up. They are not really difficult to produce.

Three of a kind...

post-3088-0-44408700-1378383944_thumb.jpg

one,

post-3088-0-57897100-1378384042_thumb.jpg

two,

post-3088-0-40763500-1378384162_thumb.jpg

and three. This mixed train hauled by a handsome Hintock shedded Prairie is arriving with empty SR milk tanks that will be exchanged with the full GWR ones at the Dairy. The SR GUV is for the Bay.

The GWR tanks are destined for the Midlands and Granby where the best Dorset full cream milk will be on their doorsteps tomorrow morning. The GUV during course of the day will be loaded with flowers and early evening will be attached to the 6.12 pm ex Hintock for Weymouth detached at Dorchester taken on by the SR to Nine Elms. There the flowers will go to Covent Garden and be on sale in florists tomorrow for the delight of their customers.

Working back to the Junction in the afternoon the coach will be used by children going home from school and returning likewise by workmen at the end of their day of toil.

These are typical workings and illustrate the everyday services rendered to the local community and communities further afield, by the railways. All good sound public service.

Archived