The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

post-3088-0-71689200-1378957098_thumb.jpg

In a recent post I promised some information about my tree making endeavours, the first above, shows a 'tree' in the first stages of being formed and the tools employed. (Note: this wire cable in being unstranded reveals how sharp the wire ends are-so care is needed.)  I hold the cable with one pair of large pliers and unstrand with the other and finish with the smaller and snips. 

The second below, shows three trees spay painted and ready for finishing, the one on the right is wearing its vest of paper towel that obscures the cable of the trunk. This is only really required for trees in full view.

The finishing touch is to add Woodlands Scenic material well teased out and applied in small pieces.

If in doubt go and look at a real tree.

post-3088-0-19555800-1378957819_thumb.jpg

And this below, shows how effective they are.

post-3088-0-30154900-1378957939_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDSCN0001_01.JPG

In a recent post I promised some information about my tree making endeavours, the first above, shows a 'tree' in the first stages of being formed and the tools employed. (Note: this wire cable in being unstranded reveals how sharp the wire ends are-so care is needed.)  I hold the cable with one pair of large pliers and unstrand with the other and finish with the smaller and snips. 

The second below, shows three trees spay painted and ready for finishing, the one on the right is wearing its vest of paper towel that obscures the cable of the trunk. This is only really required for trees in full view.

The finishing touch is to add Woodlands Scenic material well teased out and applied in small pieces.

If in doubt go and look at a real tree.

attachicon.gifDSCN0001_02.JPG

And this below, shows how effective they are.

attachicon.gifDSCN0001.JPG

Hi John,

thanks for the how to on your trees, easy explanation and good photos, they look really good on Hintock.

regards Adrian 

Adrian, kind words as are the 'likes' appreciated.

I've mentioned this previously I think, but I make the trees in batches. This summer I made about 12 sitting out on our deck in the shade.  They tend to form themselves as the individual strands of cable have minds of their own in which manner they twist. With a batch I then have a choice for locations. It often takes me quite a time to get the right one.

The batch system also suits because they often need quite a lot of tweeking before they entirely satisfy me. Too, I make many flat sided at the rear-then they fit more comfortably against the back scene. I 'plant' them by means of drilled holes and this way the height can be adjusted.

Deciduous trees I find easier to make but in any event I prefer them to confers,    

So I look forward to seeing more trees on individuals layouts for they add much character. They are ever present in such much of the UK.

Regards to all.

...Note: this wire cable in being unstranded reveals how sharp the wire ends are-so care is needed....

...If in doubt go and look at a real tree...

John,

very nice trees here and they add so much to the atmosphere of your layout. And I agree fully about the spikiness of those wires.

How true: "…the individual strands … have minds of their own…", so every tree becomes an adventure of its own. How I know…?

Just a little remark, if I may: barks of the majority of our trees are rather grey, not brown.

Take care!

Regards

Armin

Armin, I assume a fellow sufferer in a good cause. May we see some of yours?

And I'm happy to get any comment.Thank you for it. Yes, the trunk of that large tree in front of the Brewery does appear rather technicolour, however, it's somewhat a trick of the light as there is quite a bit of dark grey/black on it. But I agree it is a general misconception that tree trunks are brown and whilst there is some, shades of grey are more predominant. 

Regards,

Thanks for this valuable advice John.

My baseboards are being constructed with a 6mm ply top so I will not be able to drill a socket into which your tree design will stand. I will instead tease out the base of the twisted cable and splay that to create the root structure over which scenic plaster and foliage can be added. Many trees do actually start wider at the base before the trunk really gets going upwards. Ultimately a 60 foot Oak, Ash or Poplar tree made to 4mm scale is likely to dwarf any layout so keeping deciduous trees to around 40 feet scale height will be better.

Regards

Yes, Gruffalo glad it is of help and I'll be interested in seeing how you get on. However, if you haven't made a start yet I think you may find the cable itself has other ideas. It really is quite difficult to unravel and if you can use holes I would advise that. You can always pad out the base of the tree with paper towel.

Scale as you mention is a difficulty and here I always follow the rule of proportion. Also all I ever aim for is a representation. We know they are trees-they don't have to be exact replicas. Well, not in my book.

Regards,

Hi John, I wanted to refer another member to your layout as part of a discussion on another thread and I realised that I had never added my compliments to your own thread!

It really is a superb layout - scenery, stock, operational interest and all. I have been following progress for a while now and I think that it is a wonderful concept.

Torn (?), better late than never. And your kind words are appreciated.

You have clearly recognized the concept  that lies behind it all, and that I spent considerable thought and time time on developing. And by and large it has been successful. It's given me in course of that development a great deal of quiet amusement and interest.

And it's gratifying when others can share in the result as the 'likes' and 'views' demonstrate. Thank you.

• RMweb Premium

John - it's always a pleasure to catch up with Hintock and the wonderfully serene and leisurely environment you portray.  I know the region you set the layout in quite well and you capture that feel perfectly.

It's also good to see the US theme again and I agree with others that the tree work on both is something special.

If we had an elephant stamp here you would defintiely have one.  Long may we continue to enjoy these delights.

Rick, with your knowledge of those parts it so very gratifying to have you remark I seem to have captured the essence of that so agreeable area. It's certainly gives me a great deal of pleasure as I'm happy it does others.

As you say no elephant but I shall regard it as given.

American HO is not to everyone's taste, but it in its own way has that certain charm that I might be able to demonstrate. It also require a willingness to put aside parochial attitudes.  

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

I haven't posted on the Hintock thread for a while but I have been watching with interest as always. It's good to see that you are continuing to entertain us with stories from Hintock and passing on your skills. Long may it continue.

Nick

Hello Nick,

Always glad to hear from you and thanks, how are things with MM, haven't you an exhibition, the first, coming up soon?

Enjoy it, and I know it will go well because of the attention you pay to your work.  

Regards, John.

post-3088-0-66335400-1379859906_thumb.jpg

Nick's posting yesterday reminded me of the manner I weather my locos and this is one of mine.

A standard Bachmann product but light weathering, crew, coal and lamps. I think too I added 'Great Western' (from Fox) rather than the paltry 'GWR' it came with.

Edited to add  that the effect I achieved is by way first, of light washes of darkish gray acrylic paint (to kill the plastic sheen), then more full ones on horizontal surfaces and where grime will gather and full colour on the cab roof. it's very much  a suck and see process. This one I did a long time ago, and I follow the same method today with the current locos working on Hintock.

Simple to do and what a difference it makes.

post-3088-0-12166100-1379860226_thumb.jpg

What can be more representative of the days of SR steam branch line workings than a M7 and a set of two coaches in tranquil rural surroundings?

post-3088-0-36382400-1380546125_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-36382400-1380546125_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-50991900-1380546292_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-47181800-1380546363_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-37284300-1380546412_thumb.jpg

I make no apologies for five somewhat similar images of in Rick's words of the 'serene and leisurely'  setting that is Hintock.

post-3088-0-00990200-1380546239_thumb.jpg

Ray, not a problem it's buried there someplace, the initial curve was 18", and that was a little severe, but when I added Sheepcroft I was able to ease it by using the two Peco  points you can see in the last set of images. As I recall the outer curve is of 22" radius.

I have an image showing a train on the 18" curve, and I'll put it up.

Archived