RMweb

The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Alastair, thanks for those appreciative remarks, the history of that curve goes back a long way, over thirty years and more as Hintock was then a much smaller layout, Melbury as some might remember, and the only coaches then available were short. And I ran a couple of Triang clerestories and that you can see in a previous post #108. (There are also some in an earlier post when I was asked about Little Hintock).

Hintock incorporates part of that original Melbury and with it came the curved platform. I've lived with it up until now but the advent of scale length coaches and my growing irritation with the 'gap' has brought its demise. When all is done I shall post some images of the enhancement and the straightened platform.

Regards,

post-3088-0-91792400-1387667311_thumb.jpg

A MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR from Hintock

(Not exactly a Christmas scene, better still-Mid Summer's day.)

• 3 weeks later...

post-3088-0-66002200-1389127529_thumb.jpg

I have had an inquiry as to what's going on at Hintock?

The answer is quite a bit; and this image will help illustrate, for those interested, the changes in hand to rid myself of that excess curve in the platform. I lifted all the track beyond the start of the curve and widened the end baseboard by about 12". I also took the opportunity to replace the point to the bay in front of the signal box. This was made easier because i could readily remove both the box and Carr's Mill, as they are 'lift-off' being on their own independent baseboards secured by a screw and a nut and bolt. Otherwise getting at that point would have been nigh on impossible. 

I have re-laid the platform road and inserted a RH point- and then put a LH point in the the goods loop. These make a crossover. The RH point introduces a nice convex curve to the platform and off the LH one I have run an additional siding. The head shunt is longer because the platform road is slewed to the left. The platform will be about the same length as before.

The existing iron girder bridge will be replaced by a graceful stone arch and John Hampton's coal yard will also be served by the new siding. All this opens up the view into the goods yard and better use can be made of the existing sidings.

I'm quite happy with progress and when nearing completion I shall post images of all the new works.

• RMweb Premium

John, I hope it's not too late to wish you and Hintock's readers a Happy New Year.

This is looking as great as ever. 

Ray (Tender) replaced the chassis on my 1466 and added some detailing. It's well worth doing and I'm really pleased with it.  On the link below are also some pics of Castle's post re Didcot's 1400 No. 4866 which was of great help.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62699-rays-4mm-workbench/page-11&do=findComment&comment=1005853

Fantastic to see the M7 on Hintock.  We have have a BR one on Camel Quay.  Ray's working on the sound at present for automatic running.  It's sounding pretty impressive.

Thanks for a lovely thread, John.

Polly

Edit. I left some words out.

It sounds as though all the work you have been doing will improve what is already a fantastic layout. I can't wait to see the new photographs.

Happy New Year, and I'm glad you seemed to have solved the photograph issues.

All the best

Andy

post-3088-0-17084900-1389206967_thumb.jpg

Encouraged by those warm comments herewith a little more. More specifically;-

Rick, I'm always happy to bring matters up-to-date, however I'm not always so keen on works in progress as I think it a little unkind to the subject matter. But anyway later follow some such images.

Imsforever, I quite agree, I think I get more fun out of subsequent improvements rather than the initial build. But there were good reasons why the LH end was that way to start with.

Polly, appreciate those kind remarks but as regards the 14XX it will have to wait for enhancements. It's good to know it can run well, meantime it  makes a good photogenic subject and perhaps when I have worked out how to enlarge the fiddle yard it will get regular running. I'm pleased with the M7 I agree it looks and runs well and I'm looking forward to the E4. OK I know they are not really at home on Hintock , but I have a convincing back story to cover that when the time comes. 

And Andy, this is a better image. A bit sharp but that's alright in the circumstances.

post-3088-0-38192600-1389207709_thumb.jpg

Now it's these images, I'm not keen on, but it does show the new track layout. Next job is putting the basic 'ground' in, rail painting and ballasting. The fascia has fitted back very nicely.

post-3088-0-63342600-1389794671_thumb.jpg

This is what it looks like with the 'lift off' sub-baseboards removed. It can be seen then how readily it was possible to remove the point and get ready for a replacement. It just required some WD40 on the fish plates and a little patience.

The baseboard construction may not appeal to those possessed of wood working skills, but they are robust with the initial board now being over forty years old but it demonstrates how durable the boards are and how readily this form of construction lends itself to alterations/additions and the like.

post-3088-0-16383000-1389795067_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-52256600-1389795110_thumb.jpg

The 'lift off''s', little diorama's in their own right.

post-3088-0-96401900-1389795209_thumb.jpg.

post-3088-0-46349000-1389795334_thumb.jpg

And back to everyday business at Hintock.

That's an interesting thought Jack, but you are not likely to see the London Underground anytime soon at Hintock.

More interesting, I suggest, is the notion of lift off sub-baseboards. In fact when inspiration strikes I'm thinking of make another for the 'hole' as an alternative to Carr's Mill. How about that?

post-3088-0-97943800-1389890731_thumb.jpg

Meantime the above shows the curve that was and below Carr's Mill back in its hole. A far more pleasant view.

post-3088-0-71725400-1389891071_thumb.jpg

Recent postings have been concerned on the LH end of Hintock and that is coming along well. So as an alternative to that I thought you might like to see these:-

post-3088-0-70821100-1390429433_thumb.jpg

With Easy Yard beyond at the end of the Long Siding, Goods Porter Frederick Thompson labours with  another box.

post-3088-0-77032100-1390429615_thumb.jpg

Meantime a 87XX drifts pass to enter Sheepcroft Yard...

post-3088-0-88395100-1390429719_thumb.jpg

,,,,to buffer up to its waiting train....

....and now is ready to depart with loaded vans of fruit and vegetables for Granby, Crewe and the north west.

post-3088-0-18086100-1390430141_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-01447700-1391036822_thumb.jpg

This rake makes an interesting train, from the left a Dapol GW Fruit van, a Bachmann Cattle van for vegetables, a Bachmann LMS 50' passenger guard/parcels brake for fruit and a Bachann Fruit van.

post-3088-0-37807800-1391037085_thumb.jpg

This came factory weathered; so I removed it with household cleanser and an old toothbrush under a running tap and did my own. This comprised painting out the name 'Derby' and a light wash of acrylic charcoal to the body, adding gangway ends and painting those and the vehicle ends charcoal, a light wash of soft balck to the underframe and bogies and finally I painted the roof.

It now looks more like so many of these hard working vehicles that got every where.

post-3088-0-80455200-1391037463_thumb.jpg

In comparison the companion rake of SR vans looks rather ordinary although each is weathered differently.

Hi John,

It's been a while since I posted on here but I do like the new changes, it has opened up that end a lot and seems to show off what is there so much better, in particular the angle to the bridge rather than the flatter finish it had before.

I look forward to seeing it completed

Just so Jim, it was horribly flat. The skewed bridge looks so much better and will look better still when it and the countryside are in situ.

Widening by 12" has made all the difference; it rid me of the curve, I gained a siding and (slightly) longer headshunt. And the scenic potential enhanced no end.

Very pleased you and others who have expressed their 'likes', like it.

Thank you gentlemen.

attachicon.gifDSCN3643-1.jpg

This rake makes an interesting train, from the left a Dapol GW Fruit van, a Bachmann Cattle van for vegetables, a Bachmann LMS 50' passenger guard/parcels brake for fruit and a Bachann Fruit van.

attachicon.gifDSCN3645-2.jpg

This came factory weathered; so I removed it with household cleanser and an old toothbrush under a running tap and did my own. This comprised painting out the name 'Derby' and a light wash of acrylic charcoal to the body, adding gangway ends and painting those and the vehicle ends charcoal, a light wash of soft balck to the underframe and bogies and finally I painted the roof.

It now looks more like so many of these hard working vehicles that got every where.

attachicon.gifDSCN3640-2.jpg

In comparison the companion rake of SR vans looks rather ordinary although each is weathered differently.

I'm interested in the train makeup, because you have passenger brake guards van, is that why there is no separate guards van?

I know it may seem a stupid question, but this sort of info is very useful to know and info about how steam trains used to run is getting lost now over time.

Archived