GWR crownline 47xx kit

Hello

This is my first post here an I'm just after a bit of advice!

I've just ordered a crownline 47xx kit that you make using a Hornby king body an I'm just wondering if anyone has

Made one here an have any pictures or advice in building it an what motor an wheels you recommend? Any help would be great!

Regards Neil

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil ,

First off welcome to RMweb , a good choice for helpful and knowledgable advice from

a lot of very skilled modellers , I'm not counting myself in that category although I do try

to help if I think my input will be of use .

Now on to the 47xx .

I built one many years ago , a few photos added at the end here . This was done when I was

still fairly new at kit bulding and was a first attempt at doing a part kit part RTR conversion

It went together okay , but now many years later I think I could do a better job of it . The instructions

are reasonably good and if you follow them you should be alright .

I used Romford wheels for the drivers and a Portescap motor/gearbox combo . As these motors are no longer

readily available ( apart from Ebay at stupid money ) I would now use a Mashima motor and a High Level g/box .

If my memory is still good I think the instructions say you can use the King tender drive if you dont want to power the

chassis .

A friend of mine is partway through building his but I doubt he will come out of lurk mode with his thoughts on the job ,

will you Stu ????

Any way here are a couple of photo's , it looks a bit messy as it is still having some mods done and will probably

get a repaint as I'm not totally happy with the finish from all those years ago .

Okay here are the photo's .

post-6765-0-51278400-1345574521.jpg

post-6765-0-86161000-1345574542.jpg

post-6765-0-39143400-1345574568.jpg

post-6765-0-99618800-1345574591.jpg

Thanks for your reply that is a good help an I like the pictures it looks good! I've never bought a motor on its own before what sort shall I look for? Is there a good website I can look on?

Regards Neil

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil ,

If I was doing mine now I would probably go for one of the 16 series of Mashima motor ,

I find the 1624 to be a good all rounder , it's big enough to have some power yet will fit

into a lot of loco's , as the 47xx has a large boiler it should go in quite easily , the Portescap

in mine is one of the 16mm diameter ones. As for gearing that will depend on what length train you

have in mind and how you will run it , with this loco you have to remember that it was capable of sustained

main line running at express speeds with quite long trains , not knowing what yout layout consists of I cant

really say what gearing you might need .

If you have some more info then I might be more inclined to suggest something .

Anyway here are a couple of sites for motors and g/box's .Have a look through and see what you think .

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/

http://www.mainlytra...owerbogies.html

http://www.mainlytra...-gearboxes.html

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

That's great I will check some of the links out you sent me! Also my layout is big I can pull 9 coaches with no problem! i have a slight bank at one end an a new Hornby castle just about goes up with 8 on! An I would like the 47xx to be able to cope with the same!

That looks good I don't think mine will come out like that! Well I got the kit today an I'm now waiting in the Hornby king body to arrive! I want to order the wheels! Any suggestions where's best? An I think I will go for the 1624 motor you recommended but I still have no idea on a gearbox? Any more help would be great!

That looks good I don't think mine will come out like that! Well I got the kit today an I'm now waiting in the Hornby king body to arrive! I want to order the wheels! Any suggestions where's best? An I think I will go for the 1624 motor you recommended but I still have no idea on a gearbox? Any more help would be great!

How did you get on with the frames with a power drive? The Crownline frames are very thin and not designed to take a power drive. It was designed for a tender drive mech. I tried mine with a loco drive but the frames had no strength. and distorted with a motor drive. When faced with the work in strengthening the frames, I abandoned the Crownline frames and replaced them with some Kemilway ones from Mainly Trains.

Interested to know if you had any similar issues

Mike Wiltshire

Maybe I should use the Hornby tender drive then! I did think they were a bit thin! I've not started the kit yet but I want to make sure I get every thing right!

Regards Neil

Neil, don't be put off using loco drive it is far better than tender drive (ugg!). May I suggest that the crownline frames are O.K. if you brace them in the horizontal and in the vertical directions this will greatly strengthen the whole structure.

Richard

Yea I'm not a fan of tender drives I must say! So if I solder the frames like the kit suggests will that be ok? Sorry if I'm sounding a tad thick this is only my second kit I've built an I want it to be a good one! Thanks for all your replys!

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Neil, don't be put off using loco drive it is far better than tender drive (ugg!). May I suggest that the crownline frames are O.K. if you brace them in the horizontal and in the vertical directions this will greatly strengthen the whole structure.

Richard

I agree with Richard , if you build the chassis as per the instructions it is quite adequate , it is not as stiff as some

other ones but it will do the job .

Some photo's of the inner bits of mine show three good ' L ' brackets and one long horizontal brace at each end .

Once the cylinder set is mounted and the rear wheight block is in it works fine . So a total of seven stiffening points .

post-6765-0-94382300-1345657884.jpg

post-6765-0-55973500-1345657901.jpg

post-6765-0-49616500-1345657922.jpg

post-6765-0-15043500-1345657940.jpg

post-6765-0-58422000-1345657953.jpg

post-6765-0-93568200-1345657970.jpg

post-6765-0-84398000-1345657998.jpg

I would probably go for a 50 - 1 gear ratio , that should give decent control at slow speeds

and also give a reasonable top speed . But remember these are my choices and come with no

gaurantee that they will be right for you .

You may have to shop around for the best prices on items from different suppliers or

do a one stop shop with one supplier , again your choice .

Are ok that's great so I will go ahead an buy a motor an gearbox for it also how do I go about pic ups for the power? I like the look of the ones you seem to have! Is there somewhere I can buy them? An when I buy the wheels an axles will the axles fit in the bearings that fit in the frames that are suplyed in the kit? or will I need new ones?

Regards Neil

• RMweb Premium

That make of pickup is no longer available to the best of my knowledge . When you buy the wheels get four

insulated and four un-insulated , then you only have to sort out pickups for one side .

Yes the axles should fit the bearing okay .

Out of interest , what was the other kit you built

Ok I will have to make my own pick ups out of wire! An ok I will ask for that as it sounds Easier only to do pick ups one side! An well I've built a few kits but some didn't run right! I built a white metal gwr king an the branch lines city of Truro! But I built that over 10 years ago an I'm only 25 now an I didn't get it to work right but the king went together ok!

Yea I will upload pictures of my progress! How do I go about uploading pictures to this thread?

Today I'm ordering the wheels an may order the motor to! If I go for the 1624 motor and a 2 stage 50.1 comet gearbox will that bolt together ok an fit my axle? Also would I need a 2mm or 1.5mm bore in the worm?

Thanks for all your advice Neil

Interesting to see the built examples. I had not strengthend the frames and was not as succesful as the examples shown. Mine now has a Nucast body I picked up as I was not totally happy with the job I hade made with the King body.

Look forward to seeing the finished results.

Mike Wiltshire

Well all the parts ordered today to complete the loco! Wheels,motor An gearbox! I'm going to use a old Bachmann collet 4,000 gallon tender! An have decided to paint her in late BR condition fully lined out! Hopefully tomorrow my king body I ordered off eBay will arrive so I can start to remove the boiler an cab!

Neil

....would I need a 2mm or 1.5mm bore in the worm?

This really depends on what motor you've chosen. Most of the available motors have a 1.5mm shaft nowadays, but there are some out there with a 2mm. Don't try to put a 2mm bore worm on a 1.5mm motor shaft unless you have a sleeve to take up the difference.

Archived