The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

What Non-Railway Magazines Do You Buy?

edcayton

I subscribe to three. BRM and Steam Railway, but the only one not related to railways is The Ring magazine. It's heavily biased to the U.S. but has brilliant writers and contributors. For those not familiar with it, it's THE boxing magazine...nothing to do with jewellery or bottoms!

My non- railway magazine purchases are -

Buses, Country Walking, Truck Model World and Trucking.

I will occasionally buy one of the many classic motor vehicle magazines if it has an interesting feature on the front cover.

I do buy a certain US "gentlemans magazine" and it has some interesting articles and reviews in it.

on the railway and railway modelling front -

Railway Magazine, Railway Modeller and Hornby Magazine are regular buys, with BRM and the rest being occasional purchases

The only railway title that I do not buy is Rail - I'm not industry and rail has forgotten the enthusiast.

I get Radio Times on subscription but don't really count it as a magazine and get Television- the Royal Television Society monthly journal- as a member.

I browse in WHS- it's a mile brisk walk away so one of several retailers that meets my not as daily as it should be exercise regime- so non railway, when they've got interesting enough articles New Scientist (about 50%) and sometimes Scientific American (about 20%) and most Private Eyes. I get sent Flight Safety four times a year and read it pretty thoroughly- better to learn from someone else's mistakes than your own- and occasionally buy Flyer or Pilot if they've got a really interesting article but that's getting rarer- there are only so many possible versions of "how to make better landings"- or a free landing voucher that I genuinely believe I'll use (but rarely do)

Interesting how many "Gentlemen's" magazines there are which seem to have an attitude to women which is most definitely not what one would expect of any gentleman.

I actually have subscriptions with GQ and White Dwarf (Games Workshops magazine) at the moment. I'm not planning to renew my WD subscription, this is due to a number of reasons, not least of them being The Great Destroyer and Spiritual Liege himself: Matt Ward.

I also read some comics, although my preference is to read collected editions over individual issues.

• RMweb Premium

Some times I buy Trucking / Truck and Driver / Commercial motor, but thats normally only if there is an interesting article, regarding laws or driving in general. Reading about shiny trucks doesn't interest me.

Archived