Spotters Books - 1977/1978

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Further to a conversation with a friend about the possibility of a small project set in 1977 (a year of significance to us for a number of reasons) I am hoping to do some research the 'old-fashioned' way. However, as I was only ten at the time could anyone tell me what 'spotters' books were around then? I seem to remember an 'Ian Allan Locoshed Book' but nothing else. What I am looking for is to get a rough idea of what was running and where.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alex.

IA Locoshed books had stopped giving directions to depots by the mid 'seventies, but had begun to give allocations for multiple units.

Aside from the IA editions, I have a rival "Midland Railfans Locoshed Booklet" for 1977 (allocations as of 1st September), which basically follows the same formula, but lacks the illustrations to be found in the centre of the corresponding IA booklets. On the other hand it gives locomotive names (the IA locoshed booklets only carried an asterisk to denote a locomotive that was named).

An edition of "Shunter Duties" appeared in 1977 (I think it may have been for the first time), which gave details of where a given depot's allocated shunters were most likely to be found.

Contemporary railway magazines (primarily Railway Magazine and Railway World, but not forgetting the RCTS Railway Observer) carried reports of unusual workings and the usual listing of stock changes. Unfortunately these tend not to highlight normal operations, but I guess there are plenty of correspondents on this forum that can fill in details of specific areas.

Platform 5 was never as good as the Ian Allan books, the combined volume was the dogs doodahs plus the RCTS carriage book.

Past tense, obviously. Although I preferred the IA back then, the twice yearly P5 saw the market leader off in the end.

IA Locoshed books had stopped giving directions to depots by the mid 'seventies, but had begun to give allocations for multiple units.

Aside from the IA editions, I have a rival "Midland Railfans Locoshed Booklet" for 1977 (allocations as of 1st September), which basically follows the same formula, but lacks the illustrations to be found in the centre of the corresponding IA booklets. On the other hand it gives locomotive names (the IA locoshed booklets only carried an asterisk to denote a locomotive that was named).

The directions ended up in a separate booklet - The Locoshed Directory and this also gave a guide to what numbers would potentially be stabled at the location on a weekend.

My first locoshed book was 1977 and I was dissappointed because it was the first one without original D/E numbers for the locomotives.

There's a list for sale here: http://www.gloucesterrailwayana.com/ianallan.php

• 2 weeks later...

The 'Locoshed Directory' was initially the brainchild of Aidan Fuller, an RAF officer and when published by Ian Allan was a seperate volume to the Steam Locomotive, Diesel Locomotive, Combined Volumes and Locoshed Books.

As well as directions to sheds, works and some stabling points the 'Locoshed Directory' also contained an itinerary for some major cities e.g. London - so that a 'basher' could travel by bus,tube or shanks' pony from shed to shed without returning each time to one of the mainline terminii.

As the number of sheds dwindled, so the directory found its way into the Locoshed Book during the early (?) 70s..

I don't recall the IA books ever indicating what, and how many could be found stabled at individual locations - I think that came about through 'Shunter Duties' by Platform 5, which eventually included what units and how many, and also coaching stock and parcels stock stabling.

I think IA tried to combat the threat of Platform 5's booklets by including allocations in the later combined volumes, but think the writing was on the wall by then.

IA published a small coaching stock handbook in the early 60s (?) which gave descritions, plans and a photo of the various Mk.1 coaches including horseboxes, GUV, CCT, BG and the Newton Chambers double deck car carriers - but the numbers were only shown as block allocations to each region, and not suitable for underlining !

This changed with the publication of Messrs Mallaband & Bowles work of circa 1977/78 - I have two copies, and for me they formed a benchmark of coaching stock, DMU and EMU information.

Platform 5 appear to have stolen a further march on IA by introducing their Coaching Stock pocket books forcing IA to take up the challenge, and in fairness I have a 1985 edition that cotains coaching stock, NPCS, DMU and EMU details - including set details where known and this was a mine of information.

Despite the protestations of my wife, I kept all my 'combines'and 'locosheds' (some dating back to 1958) and 'notebooks' (from 1970 onwards) when we married in 1978, and still have them all now.

I have a number of friends who parted with theirs and now regret it.

Brian R

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have most of them from 78 on to 90s and bought the odd one from bookshops

VERY USEFULL REFERENCES

As was my habit of storing all of my spotting info. and train formations.

Really annoyed I lost one set though right mix with 50,017 on the front, running VERY well

Platform 5 was never as good as the Ian Allan books, the combined volume was the dogs doodahs plus the RCTS carriage book.

Seeing as the IA Combined Volume did not have depot allocations until after 1984 (at the earliest), the IA Locoshed book carried no class details (such as weight, tractive effort, variations etc or loco names) and the Platform 5 Pocket Book from 1980 (my earliest edition) onwards certainly had all these items then I wholeheartedly disagree with the previous statement.

For any information I need up to 1980; as stated before the 1978 RCTS Coaching Stock book is excellent and I tend to work from the RCTS Locomotive Stock of British Railways 1977 with reference, for later time periods as required, to an Ian Allan Locoshed book; depot reallocations from Modern Railways cross referenced with Railway Observers and any class variations and livery details also from Railway Observers.

Archived