Hornby Turkish 8F

Steve O.

If you read the advert you will see it was produced by Hornby. It has been advertised in a number of places and I think some time ago there was a posting about it on RMweb and MRF. Can't comment on whether it is totally authentic as it is obviously based on the British version produced by Hornby but the Turkish version may have had some detail differences.

Doesn't look like it's done by Hornby to me - some of the hugely glaring detail errors suggest not!

EDIT - Listing seems to suggest it is... I'd have expected better, frankly!

If it's a commission Hornby will have agreed the spec with the customer. Whilst in an ideal world every release would be accurate in every respect, a look through past productions would reveal many occasions where an unusual prototype was modelled using an 'approximately' suitable available model, so as afr as I'm concerned this isn't something to criticise Hornby for.

I was in Turkey in 1969 and saw one of the Turkish 8Fs in Trabzon. The railwaymen there were very proud of her and called her Churchill. Somewhere I've negative of it. I could swear it had a cow catcher then but I suppose it's a long time ago and my memory might be faulty.

It looks like they've just taken a stock standard Hornby 8F and added Turkish numbering and markings. There are plenty of detail differences that do not appear to be added - smokebox door, air pump, air tanks, chimney cover, cowcatcher. However, it is a Turkish Model Railway Club that has taken the project on board so all power to them for having a go.

• RMweb Premium

What I find particularly interesting is that it is a limited production run of 200.

I thought that Hornby would not produce limited editions of less than 1000 units - the memorial flight Class 91 commissioned by Model Rail being a case in point. This quantity has apparently put many other potential commissioners in the UK off because it's a much bigger risk (and presumably inial outlay) than, say, the 512 that Bachmann will produce.

What's different here, I wonder?

• RMweb Gold

The price, I suspect. I'm sure Hornby will be willing to do a limited edition run of 50 if you wanted - at a price.

If the changes are purely related to livery, that probably makes it easier to do small runs.

...What's different here, I wonder?

Dipping a toe in the water of what is probably a market in which Hornby have relatively little presence would be my feeling. Different rules apply when developing the potential of a new market.

Regarding the locos, they were the standard LMS design as slightly revised for the WD to war time production standards, assembled at Sivas under the leadership of Ron Jarvis and Fred Soden. Following some early adjustments to draughting to suit Turkish Railway operational requirements, they then acquired a range of additions under new ownership, a 'cow catcher', air pump and tanks, large headlights of generically German pattern, chimney covers and much else. And as already remarked the usual term for them was 'Churchills'. They remained at work well into the 1980s.

I was in Turkey in 1969 and saw one of the Turkish 8Fs in Trabzon. The railwaymen there were very proud of her and called her Churchill. Somewhere I've negative of it. I could swear it had a cow catcher then but I suppose it's a long time ago and my memory might be faulty.

Yes, I believe the only TCDD example that didn't have a cowcatcher was the one Colin Garratt paid some bemused Turkish staff to detach to make the 8F more British in appearance for one of hs rather idiosyncratic photographs. (Features in the video "Around The World in Search of Steam").

Archived