Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Creedyford

treggyman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Back in December that wonderous auction site provided a Bachmann class 45......They were certainly used on stone trains so although I had a Mainline version which I had considered using I shelled out my pounds & the loco duly arrived....

The problem with the Mainline (actually Replica) model was that although it looked OK it like its Mainline predecessors it took half a dozen laps of the layout to warm up......not much use in an Exhibition layout!!!!

As bought.....

post-7844-0-64854100-1390086596_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-11767100-1390086630_thumb.jpg

She was run around the layout......Ran superbly with no derailments or stalling even at slow speed......

So conversion can start.....

The loco's I saw had a seam around the nose......fine sawblade sorted that.....Headcode box needed to be plated over ....Milliput filler sorted problem.....

post-7844-0-62693100-1390087240_thumb.jpg

Extra lamp irons removed......Respray nose........Found I hadn't filed the Milliput flat enough.....File again & respray.....

Fox provided transfers to renumber & name the loco.....

I'd seen several but only taken pictures of two at StDavids 45104 & 45022 both in 1984....

A search on Google provided some good pics of 45104 so that's what I decided on......

On went the numbers & nameplates only to spot that '104 didn't have the three 'hatches/plates' behind the drivers door at one end.....off they came....& were then refilled flush.....This time I filed them flush first time !!!!

post-7844-0-86111300-1390087976_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-52523700-1390088002_thumb.jpg

Well that meant that I had to respray the patched bits.....Did the rail blue match.....NO !!.....So I Maskol'd the name plates,electificition patches & numbers & resprayed the whole loco.....Took off the Maskol & only had to replace one number!!!!

I had already fitted the pipes etc to one end as well as a Smiths coupling so I added a Kadee to the other end......Coupling height way out......So had to hack the NEM Pocket about 'til it was correct height

Gave the loco a basic weathering & took some pics on the layout....

post-7844-0-71269700-1390088595_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-95690900-1390088644_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-10172100-1390088671_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-28922600-1390088696_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-24399700-1390088720_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-37654100-1390088742_thumb.jpg

Well what I thought would be an easy job was certainly not.......Would I do it again.....Not delibraretely but I do have a unique loco until Bachmann or Hornby decide to produce it........

Cheers Bill

Edit to get rid of the duplication of the post !!

Edited by treggyman
  • Like 8

Hi All

Don't quite know how the above post has duplicated itself ......But there!!!!!

What I hadn't noticed was that I'd put Largin's 'Box on the level crossing while taking the pics......

What can I say.....I blame the Talisker Whisky myself !!!!!

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Looks nice, sure it kept you busy for 5 minutes. My dad has a Mainline peak.

I fitted an old Mainline one with a chip for a friend in the past. They need to be warmed up (like all prehistoric models) before they get going. But fitting the chip slightly improved it, mainly because the chip gives the motor the amps it needs to get going but they still run balls. I've always think the old mechanisms are like vegetables (very little use until cooked and served with gravy on them) Mainline and higher geared Lima were particularly bad. But the smaller geared Lima (DMUs etc) and Hornby pancakes were alright, some green grease they work nice with no sound at all. still don't come close to today's superior German motored, turned flywheel, cam shaft and gear boxed mechanisms though.

Bachmann version as you say is much better ;) looks much improved and is probably a better starting point.

Nice to see Largin box visiting Creedyford but it will be even nicer to see it return home! I assume it's slowly making it's way back?

I Think you may have to edit your post tomorrow Bill :no:
I wander if I'm the one of only modellers online at 3:20am...

Hi Reece

Thanks for the above post .It was a long 5 minutes !!!!!

I hope Largin will be progressed sometime soon but I seem to keep getting sidetracked with other projectsm

As you can see I've edited the above post.

Cheers Bill

Good work Bill.

Looks at home on Creedyford. Did you say stone trains? That will be a good one to replicate on the layout.

All the best

Jack

Hi Jack

The line splits at Crediton (Creediford), to become two separate branches ,one track heading to Barnstaple the other to Meldon Quarry which in the '80s was very busy supplying ballast for the railway.....

Lots of different types of wagons were used.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

45 looks rather fine, looks great in the new photo's. 

Hi Bill, that Peak looks great, nice work.

Happy modelling

Craig.

Hi Bill

You have done a fantastic job on that class 45

Keep up the good work.

Great pictures

David

Hi

Thanks for all the above kind comments......

It makes it all worthwhile when something one's worked on for so long with problems on the way comes together & is appreciated...

Thanks again

Cheers Bill

I do like the look of that 45! I just hope I can make it to the Barnstaple exhibition if you're going to be there....

Can I ask what you've used for the headlights in place of the headcode boxes on the flush noses?

Hi

Thanks for the comment.....

Yes I'll be there with Creedyford so it will be good to meet you.....

As regards the headlights.....This was potentially one of the jobs that nearly put me off......I thought long & hard & in the end it was quite a simple idea though rather fiddly.....

They are made from thin slivers of brass tube.....

The tube was held in a pair of pliers & cut with a fine bladed hacksaw using the jaws of the pliers as a guide to cut against.....

The amount of tube to form the light was gauged by eye ,not measured.....

A dremel or similar power saw would not have been controllable enough.....

A bit of careful filing to bevel/round off the sliver & hey presto.....thin rings which were glued on then painted in situ....

Hope to meet you in July

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Just a quick update.....

Have finished the Ratio Van B.....

Pleased with the end result though may add a bit more weathering as latterly they were filthy if Paul Bartlett's pics are anything to go by....

A couple of pics before the camera battery died

post-7844-0-52397600-1390341979_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-95755400-1390341997_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-12752100-1390342016_thumb.jpg

Next a vigorous testing session with the layout to test the stock/signals etc.( A play with the layout)...

Cheers Bill

• Like 10

Hi All

Just a brief update......

Visited my local railway emporium in Camborne yesterday  to make a couple of purchases......

First was an ex SR concrete footbridge.....

I was going to build a model of the fine bridge at Crediton.....However there was no way that I could get it to fit so I plumped for a Ratio Kit instead.....

As Crediton was engineered by IKB I could have used a western one but I thought a Southern design wold be more in keeping....

The kit went together really well & although is possibly a Tad too tall & is not fitted symetrically on the platform I think it wiil look OK...

A couple of pics of it placed on the platform awaiting final fixing after a final weathering

post-7844-0-27600300-1390773690_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-28742300-1390773714_thumb.jpg

I also bought a pack of the Ratio SR platelayers huts.....This is a pack of two although I only really wanted one....

Again a nice kit that goes together well.....

I plan to place this just past the level crossing at the Barnstaple end of the layout.....

A couple of pics before being set into the baseboard & before final weathering......

post-7844-0-73432000-1390773967_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-23888100-1390773987_thumb.jpg

The said Emporium are also selling Hornby OTA's of the correct stanchion type for 10.99 each so I bought 3.....They will need respraying as they are in bright turquoise.....I do have a picture of them in this livery at StDavids in 1993 but I only saw them at lapford in the Railfreight Red colours....Which I also have some pictures of.....

I had originally bought some in EWS livery from a certain supplier in Liverpool but it wasn't 'till they arrived I realised the stanchions were wrong.....

A start was made on respraying these....Pictures to follow.....

I also spent a while trying to get an original Bachmann 08 to run properly.....But that's another story!!!!!

Thats all for now....

Cheers Bill

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well done getting those OTAs - I just ordered 3 of the Cambrian kits as I couldn't find any of the Hornby version!  :resent: I always thought / hoped Hornby would release the Railfreight Red version as that seemed the most obvious one to do (in my mind anyway...), but it just seems to have vanished from the catalogue altogether now. It will probably appear next year now I've plumped for kit building....  :no:

Great minds think alike! I had exactly the same thoughts about the footbridge - no way could I scratch build the prototype. I think the Ratio kit, along with some concrete fencing helps to set the Southern heritage of what is not a typically SR building

• Like 1

Well done getting those OTAs - I just ordered 3 of the Cambrian kits as I couldn't find any of the Hornby version!  :resent: I always thought / hoped Hornby would release the Railfreight Red version as that seemed the most obvious one to do (in my mind anyway...), but it just seems to have vanished from the catalogue altogether now. It will probably appear next year now I've plumped for kit building....  :no:

Hi Rich

I've got a part built Cambrian kit to finish for the same reason as you.....

I would agree that I also would have thought the railfreight red version was a nailed on certainty to be released.....& like you now I'm respraying these they will probably now release them......

By the way,there were more in the shop so a quick phone call might produce some......

I've now got to decide whether to restanchion & respray the three I've already got.....Which was the original plan !!!!

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Looks AWESOME! :sungum:

Great minds think alike! I had exactly the same thoughts about the footbridge - no way could I scratch build the prototype. I think the Ratio kit, along with some concrete fencing helps to set the Southern heritage of what is not a typically SR building

Hi Reece & TomJ

Thanks for the above comments.....Greatly appreciated.....

I did think about scratchbuilding one but I certainly wouldn't have made as good a job as the kit.....

Also bar a little bit of work it's finished.....

I'd still be cutting out now if building from scratch.....

Which gives me time to do other things....

Like have a serious testing session ( play trains )

& I agree about the southern flavour without being too OTT.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi All

A brief update on the OTA's...

This is how they came.....

post-7844-0-66569900-1391466431_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-44469400-1391466455_thumb.jpg

They are a very nice model ,& I do have pictures of them in that livery taken in StDavids yard in 1993.......It looked as though the offloading was being done there, but as we were living in Cornwall by then I had no way of checking.....

Any way ...A lot of fiddly masking & spraying later , apart from lamp brackets & weathering & numbering they are finished....

Back in the day I made some Cambrian kits & hand painted them......That was a pain.....A lot easier though not easy to spray them these days....

post-7844-0-59917700-1391466823_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-62790200-1391466843_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-98952700-1391466861_thumb.jpg

I say they are finished but I have cut some twigs to make loads, but whether fixed or removeable I haven't decided yet....

Cheers Bill

• Like 4