Using a printer to make small-signs, stencils and labels for lineside items?

I`ve made a few packing cases and large-crates as wagon loads and would like to label them tidily: "This Side Up" and "Use No Hooks"; that kind of thing, and also labeling or stenciling a few internal-user wagons with daubed-on white numbers/letters on a black background.....although, not in any particular font or railway type-face.

Being rubbish at freehand lettering, I wonder if anyone might refer me to any recommended techniques (or a programme) for using my inkjet printer to make small labels that I could cut out and glue in place.

Thank you in advance.

Debs.

Hi Debs,

You should be able to use Microsoft word. It has an abundance of fonts including a stencil font.

For printing on inkjet or laser, google 'decal printer paper' for making water slide labels, there's a few available.

Ray.

Hi Debs,

You should be able to use Microsoft word. It has an abundance of fonts including a stencil font.

For printing on inkjet or laser, google 'decal printer paper' for making water slide labels, there's a few available.

Ray.

'Word'.......of course; silly me for not thinking of that! :blind: .......yes, I do have it on my P.C.......I`ll have a fiddle with it tomorrow morning!

I`ll source some decal paper too. :yes:

Thanks Ray.

Hi Debs.

As a matter of fact, I have used Microsoft Word for producing small signs and the like. It seems best to use a larger font to work on the lettering/layout then highlight the text and reduce to the desired size. In the font size box on the toolbar, you can remove the default minimum point size (of 6 pt. I think) size and add your own number. I didn't know you could do this this for a very long time! Lettering can therefore be created from 1pt. upwards.

I use an injet printer, using 80 g paper (best quality). After printing, I seal the printed area with matt varnish, allow to dry overnight and then cut out the signage.

Hope this helps.

Colin

In the font size box on the toolbar, you can remove the default minimum point size (of 6 pt. I think) size and add your own number. I didn't know you could do this this for a very long time! Lettering can therefore be created from 1pt. upwards.

Neither did I till just now.

Thanks for that tip.

few internal-user wagons with daubed-on white numbers/letters on a black background

Debs, if you mean the kind of hand chalked or painted on script/numbers (like on my ingot moulds and ingot cars) then I can recommend one of these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNI-BALL-0-7M-SIGNO-WHITE-GEL-INK-ROLLER-BALL-X-3-PENS-/290745695128?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PensPencils_WritingEquipment_SM&hash=item43b1cb3b98

easy to use, ideally on a matt finish.

Arthur

Guest CLARENCE

I've used Microsoft "Picture it! Publishing 2001" for a long time to make up and print all kinds of labels and signs. The program came with my present computer, which I must admit is getting on a bit, so may not be available these days.

Just a thought.

David

I've just had a quick look at the Microsoft website and it appears that the program won't work with anything later than Windows XP, which I'm still using-- sorry about that1

I do not have Microsoft Office, I do have other office software but the smallest font it will let me use is 2 point, you can also use fractions of a point as in 2.5 or 3.5 etc.

OpenOffice Draw will only go down to 2 point, but it's free and very useful! You may be able to scale it down further when printing. My Brother laser printer (monochrome) will print down to 25% of actual size, and I'm sure other printers will, but it will depend on the drivers. If not, and you can create a PDF file, Adobe Reader will print multiple pages on one page, so you could get a 25% reduction by printing 4 pages to a page, and fiddle with the size of the original to get exactly the size you want.

Thanks to all for your replies.

I`ve been kindly sent a file with the precise sizes and text that I require as a pdf, so I`ll now easily be able to print-off and apply them.

I had a play with Word and it works very well (and down to 2 point fonts) with a good selection of font and character styles: I can recommend that to others.

I`m awaiting a pack of water-slide decal papers to try.....but note the manufacturer`s caution about using only original printer cartridges (as many refils or CSS inks may not be water resistant).

Thanks again. :good:

If you have "Word" then you probably will have a WordArt function. Click on it and type something in the text box. The resulting words on the screen can be re-sized simply by stretching the "box" they show in. You can also colour them and change the thickness of the outline round them, change the shape of the text and add shadows etc.

Have a go.

Jon F.

Debs - a visit to you local art shop for a can of fixative spray varnish (normally available in gloss, matt or satin) will be worth your while - it won't be cheap, but may well last longer than you will. No inkjet ink AFAIK is waterproof, a laser print SHOULD be - but I wouldn't guarantee it. Spray a thin coat over the ink side, it will dry almost instantly but give it at least 10 minutes or so. A couple of names to look for are Ghiant and Schmincke - you may even find them on ebay. I'd also have suggested Letraset Mattcoat, but I don't think it is available any more. Hope it helps

• 2 weeks later...

Another approach is to prepare the words (and images) you want in a Word (or other word processor program) document. Then grab it as a screenshot, to make a jpg out of it. Paste the jpg back into Word and you can then resize it to any size. The only limit is the number of pixels in the printer. (Works on a Mac - Command Shift 4 for the screenshot - not sure how to do that on a PC.)

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Debs.

As a matter of fact, I have used Microsoft Word for producing small signs and the like. It seems best to use a larger font to work on the lettering/layout then highlight the text and reduce to the desired size. In the font size box on the toolbar, you can remove the default minimum point size (of 6 pt. I think) size and add your own number. I didn't know you could do this this for a very long time! Lettering can therefore be created from 1pt. upwards.

I use an injet printer, using 80 g paper (best quality). After printing, I seal the printed area with matt varnish, allow to dry overnight and then cut out the signage.

Hope this helps.

Colin

You can do the same with the font size in Excel - just tried it! Thanks for that, it never occurred to me to try.

• 2 months later...

Hi debs

I have made a few decals for model cars in 1/24 scale using ms word and paint. You can also use PowerPoint as a sort of graphics package as well.

If you are losing clarity when using the smaller font sizes try this.

Create your labels/notices/ posters at a large size on the screen. Hit the 'print screen' key and screen shot will be saved to the clipboard. Open your graphics software, ( MS paint, paintshop pro, photoshop etc) and past the screen shot as a new image, then save the image as a PNG or JPEG. Now using the graphics software re-size the image to the physical size you want, keeping a reasonabley high resolution. Save this new version with a different name, that way if you want a bigger one you still have the original.

Final step is to print it out onto decal paper and coat it with 'decalcote' once it has dried this will leave a matt and waterproof very thin finish.

I get my decal paper and decalcote from Hannants of Lowestoft. :www.hannants.co.uk

Al

Archived