Haymarket 64B

landscapes

2 minutes ago, davidw said:

Thanks. I built an A2/1 a year or so back.  Never been happy with it. Mechanicals are good as is the tender. May approach Paul on a replacement after seeing yours.

Hi David

Paul Hill I believe now runs PDK, I found him very friendly and  helpful

Good luck.

Regards

David 

13 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Robbie 

I am not sure where all that all came from and why Ian seemed to take offence to your posts on the subject of Hornby’s A2/2.

I agree totally with you ignore the comments and enjoy the models.

Regards

David

Will do, David, and here is a very quick edit on your photo...   

60510_A2_IMG_60501_A2_1a_r1820.jpg.6fd6de7b7f9f25dc4ecf4c0d5560abc8.jpg

As ever I have darkened some bits, lightened others, and de-saturate others...      

What a superb scene, inspiring stuff, I shall be opening ToF later today but I don't expect photos will be likely, I only get a few hours in the wheelchair at best, and CotN requires more study and photos , I haven't even looked at the other side yet. And I'm slow with only one fully working hand.

Dunno what has got Ian all annoyed, but as you say best left alone.

Cheers

• Agree 1

Actually David, my quick edit of your 64B scene highlights what for me has been a source of some trouble in my pictures on RMweb, where although the 60510 and 60501 pair in my version is edited, I have been forbidden from editing things except in my own own threads,  but I' know that many do edit pictures, in fact even setting an iPhone to auto edits things,  so I have to watch my step!

Tony Wight and Gilbert Barnett edit their pictures as in sky, but not the details unless 'beyond the bridge' in TW's case, and who knows what they do with tone and contrast?    Anyway it's a minefield just like A2 class nomenclature!

Best 

edit; p.s. I wonder if we should put your pic or my edit of it on the Hornby A2 thread as an example of what can be achieved with weathering and photo settings?   Probably would just fan the flames, but I could put it in my thread, 'Help I like Thompson A2s..' ?  With suitable caption as to models, photographer and editing....  

No problem if we don't, it's a lovely photo regardless.

Edited by robmcg
addition

5 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Actually David, my quick edit of your 64B scene highlights what for me has been a source of some trouble in my pictures on RMweb, where although the 60510 and 60501 pair in my version is edited, I have been forbidden from editing things except in my own own threads,  but I' know that many do edit pictures, in fact even setting an iPhone to auto edits things,  so I have to watch my step!

Tony Wight and Gilbert Barnett edit their pictures as in sky, but not the details unless 'beyond the bridge' in TW's case, and who knows what they do with tone and contrast?    Anyway it's a minefield just like A2 class nomenclature!

Best 

Hi Robbie 

I have no idea who has forbidden you to edit photos, why?

I have no objections as far as Haymarket is concerned.

I do hope you enjoy your two new A2/2’s as much as I have enjoyed the one I have.

There are so many negative comments  flying around at the moment and a lot of members have been disappointed and dissatisfied with the A2/2’s and in a lot of cases totally justified.

Lets hope Hornby do the right thing and replace all those models that are of poor quality with a model of the quality we expect from a company that is one of the biggest RTR manufacturers in this country.

Regards

David

12 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Robbie 

I have no idea who has forbidden you to edit photos, why?

I have no objections as far as Haymarket is concerned.

I do hope you enjoy your two new A2/2’s as much as I have enjoyed the one I have.

There are so many negative comments  flying around at the moment and a lot of members have been disappointed and dissatisfied with the A2/2’s and in a lot of cases totally justified.

Lets hope Hornby do the right thing and replace all those models that are of poor quality with a model of the quality we expect from a company that is one of the biggest RTR manufacturers in this country.

Regards

David

Indeed, especially that last paragraph. Hopefully Hornby have enough to satisfy demand.

Tony Wright has bought a R3830 60501 and photographed on Little Bytham and after added a couple of details, he is very pleased with his one.

As to why I as banned from edited contributions in the product threads, a number of regular and highly regarded RMweb contributors like Stationmaster, Cctransuk, and many others complained to Andy Y, without ever contacting me. It affected me quite badly.   

Edited by robmcg
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, robmcg said:

Indeed, especially that last paragraph. Hopefully Hornby have enough to satisfy demand.

Tony Wright has bought a R3830 60501 and photographed on Little Bytham and after added a couple of details, he is very pleased with his one.

As to why I as banned from edited contributions in the product threads, a number of regular and highly regarded RMweb contributors like Stationmaster, Cctransuk, and many others complained to Andy Y, without ever contacting me. It affected me quite badly.   

Hi Robbie

Obviously some members of RMWeb hold them selves in high esteem.

Why on earth anyone would take the time to complain about your edited photos is beyond me.

There are all different aspects to model railways and in my opinion model railway photography is a big part of it, just look at the three main model railway journals.

Stay safe down there in NZ a beautiful country I had the Pleasure  visit back in 2004.

If you can find the time please put some photos of your weathered A2/2 Thane of Fife on the thread happy for you to put them on Haymarket if you want.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks I have several pictures of 60501 and 60505 in the pipeline, as it were, although neither was regular at 64B in the late 50s, or maybe very occasionally.

I agree photography is part of this great hobby and thanks for your thoughts.

Actually I was very nervous opening the two A2/2s  rather expecting bits to fall out or be jammed in the gubbinses, but both were fully intact, the reversing rod on both not exactly perfectly fitted but easily remedied.  I wonder how many of the production batch are seriously faulty? All seem to run well, which is important, and having bought a few models such as Helgan 47XXs where they tended to fall apart in the post, I am no stranger to modest repair work, like you I will tolerate some faults in return for outstanding RTR engines being available under 200 pounds.

Here is 60505 exactly as it came out of the box, as you can see plenty of potential for a New England 'look' after further weathering and photographic enjoyment. Incredible model for the UKP168 it cost me.  It even has the front step handrail intact and correctly installed at the correct angle! This weathering is what TMC call 'value weathering' at UKP20. I can embellish it of course. :)

IMG_2876a_r1820.jpg.86974ebfd71289d3d230ccf2fe32378e.jpg

i do hope my putting your pic of 60510 and late crest 60501  in the A2/2 thread didn't cause too many people to  have apoplexy, it's a great photo! 

I hope the UK can rise from the horrible trouble of Covid and lockdown, we have been lucky here so isolated.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, robmcg said:

Thanks I have several pictures of 60501 and 60505 in the pipeline, as it were, although neither was regular at 64B in the late 50s, or maybe very occasionally.

I agree photography is part of this great hobby and thanks for your thoughts.

Actually I was very nervous opening the two A2/2s  rather expecting bits to fall out or be jammed in the gubbinses, but both were fully intact, the reversing rod on both not exactly perfectly fitted but easily remedied.  I wonder how many of the production batch are seriously faulty? All seem to run well, which is important, and having bought a few models such as Helgan 47XXs where they tended to fall apart in the post, I am no stranger to modest repair work, like you I will tolerate some faults in return for outstanding RTR engines being available under 200 pounds.

Here is 60505 exactly as it came out of the box, as you can see plenty of potential for a New England 'look' after further weathering and photographic enjoyment. Incredible model for the UKP168 it cost me.  It even has the front step handrail intact and correctly installed at the correct angle! This weathering is what TMC call 'value weathering' at UKP20. I can embellish it of course. :)

IMG_2876a_r1820.jpg.86974ebfd71289d3d230ccf2fe32378e.jpg

i do hope my putting your pic of 60510 and late crest 60501  in the A2/2 thread didn't cause too many people to  have apoplexy, it's a great photo! 

I hope the UK can rise from the horrible trouble of Covid and lockdown, we have been lucky here so isolated.

Hi Robbie 

The weathering TMC did for you can be a good base to add additional weathering yourself.

Its all a matter of choice on exactly  how much weathering you want on your locomotives.

I did find by adding a coat of Johnson’s Klear,!it did slightly darken up the Hornby  green livery and by dry brushing a mixture of Matt black and Humbrol leather No 62 which is a brownish colour over the boiler top and tender sides , I then removed most of it using white spirits and that darken it a bit more.

It wasn’t my intention to put the paint on and then take it off I did it because I wasn’t happy with my dry brushing but purely by mistake it did in my view improve the locomotives appearance. 

I have still not completely finished with the weathering but just not sure at the moment exactly what I am going to do but what ever it is it’s to try to improve on the green livery look a bit more.

The six members of the A2/2 class in the late 1950’s were shedded at to Motive Power Depts, three at New England and three at York.

I have photos of two of the York based A2/2’s at Haymarket in the 1959 and 1960 period.

As I said before please feel free to put any of your images on Haymarket 64B thread.

Regards 

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Without wishing to overdo my A2/2s, here is the result of grafting a 'real' foreground onto the TMC value=weathered 60505, I think it looks rather good and especially so for the price.

I have darkened the Brunswick green by about 30%, and the faintest feather of steam, otherwise it is still the Hornby model as is' with front steps, a coupling and bang plate, and cylinder drains, all applied digitally since I am these days limited in using cyano glue in particular, and dexterity and eyesight are a bit less sharp. Oh, similar method for those old LNER lamps too.  

I must check my BR allocation book to see which engines were at York, but as we know New England was famously neglectful of cleaning its engines,  Gilbert of Peterborough North says that it has only one cleaner for 200 engines at one time, possibly c1958.

60505_A2_portrait12_2abcde_r1820.jpg.bb15a6e845b6f6f3ef14671af37e8ec1.jpg

Anyone who thinks this is a bad 00 model , well, what can you say? :)  I'll maybe fine-tune some weathering and put it in my 'Help I am beginning to like Thompson Pacifics' thread.  I suspect if I put it in the main A2 thread it would be judged inflammatory.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Without wishing to overdo my A2/2s, here is the result of grafting a 'real' foreground onto the TMC value=weathered 60505, I think it looks rather good and especially so for the price.

I have darkened the Brunswick green by about 30%, and the faintest feather of steam, otherwise it is still the Hornby model as is' with front steps, a coupling and bang plate, and cylinder drains, all applied digitally since I am these days limited in using cyano glue in particular, and dexterity and eyesight are a bit less sharp. Oh, similar method for those old LNER lamps too.  

I must check my BR allocation book to see which engines were at York, but as we know New England was famously neglectful of cleaning its engines,  Gilbert of Peterborough North says that it has only one cleaner for 200 engines at one time, possibly c1958.

60505_A2_portrait12_2abcde_r1820.jpg.bb15a6e845b6f6f3ef14671af37e8ec1.jpg

Anyone who thinks this is a bad 00 model , well, what can you say? :)  I'll maybe fine-tune some weathering and put it in my 'Help I am beginning to like Thompson Pacifics' thread.  I suspect if I put it in the main A2 thread it would be judged inflammatory.

Hi Robbie 

The photo looks stunning 

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

I couldn't resist it, I added a foreground which believe it or not Haymarket shed...!

60505_A2_portrait14_2abc_r1820.jpg.cb9b65e1e6e47afcbce4ef487e64060f.jpg

But of course there would never be an engine blowing off while emitting so much smoke, and the lens distortion is and not-quite-level track arrangements,  I'll call it artistic license. I did love steam and smoke as a kid with real railways as you might suspect. 

Cheers

• Like 8

4 hours ago, robmcg said:

I couldn't resist it, I added a foreground which believe it or not Haymarket shed...!

60505_A2_portrait14_2abc_r1820.jpg.cb9b65e1e6e47afcbce4ef487e64060f.jpg

But of course there would never be an engine blowing off while emitting so much smoke, and the lens distortion is and not-quite-level track arrangements,  I'll call it artistic license. I did love steam and smoke as a kid with real railways as you might suspect. 

Cheers

Hi Robbie 

That photo is even better so much atmosphere.

How did you get the Haymarket tracks in the foreground. 

You know what makes it so realistic to me is the concrete hard standing in the foreground, that in-conjunction with the inspection pit location is exactly where a small building would have stood which I believe was the cleaners bothy.

I do have this building  on my layout.

Superb image, thank you for posting it.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

Thank you David for allowing me to post it here.  I am thinking that I will add the correct shed behind the tender, as I can do, but in the meantime if I may, here is a Bachmann  A1 60116 'Hal o' the Wind', what a lovely name at Haymarket,  60116 was a 52B Heaton engine so I'm sure would have been a regular to 64B on out-and-back turns?

About six A1s were allocated to 64B at a quick glance, mostly the higher numbers?

60116_haymarket_A1_portrait2_1ab_r1820.jpg.53454639ece65d8de8b6adb41a433bf9.jpg

I have to say I enjoy messing around with 00 models and photos!  Some have suggested I start my own section in RMweb but I prefer to keep my pics just here and there and on my Facebook page BR Steam Photos.

As ever thanks again, I'll put the Haymarket shed behind 60505 in due couse.

• Like 3

As threatened...   and 60505 was a very unlikely visitor to Edinburgh, must have been an emergency relief for some failed engine when it was visiting York or Newcastle.

60505_A2_portrait16_4ab_r1820.jpg.ef8c42a952bcba6b4bc945d78ef60ab0.jpg

I'll desist from more pics for a while, one has to be balanced in these things you know. :)

As to the methods I use to add backgrounds and foregrounds, I select sections of suitable photos, re-size, distort, re-colour to taste, copy it,  and paste it as a new selection over an existing photo, and join the irregularities with the paintbrush tool. All by hand. As is most of the steam and smoke.

I hope that gives an idea at least, I have become very fast at the various techniques involved, and did the above in about an hour, quite scary really.  The speed comes from such as might be done by a violin or piano player, the chords just 'happen', but I can play neither.

Best thing I've seen this week was your 60510 and 60501 pic.

Edited by robmcg
added comment
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, robmcg said:

... here is a Bachmann  A1 60116 'Hal o' the Wind', what a lovely name at Haymarket,  60116 was a 52B Heaton engine so I'm sure would have been a regular to 64B on out-and-back turns?

I don’t know how regular a visitor 60116 was to Haymarket, but it definitely did get there. I saw it on Haymarket shed on 16 June 1963. It was a Tweedmouth engine by that time though, one of a group of 10 A1s transferred there from Heaton in September 1962.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, pH said:

I don’t know how regular a visitor 60116 was to Haymarket, but it definitely did get there. I saw it on Haymarket shed on 16 June 1963. It was a Tweedmouth engine by that time though, one of a group of 10 A1s transferred there from Heaton in September 1962.

Hi

I have photographic evidence of A1 60116 at Haymarket MPD but no dates given.

When you saw it on Haymarket that must have been literally the last few months of Steam at 64B.

How I wish I could have visited the depot in steam days it must have been very special time.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Spelling

5 hours ago, robmcg said:

As threatened...   and 60505 was a very unlikely visitor to Edinburgh, must have been an emergency relief for some failed engine when it was visiting York or Newcastle.

60505_A2_portrait16_4ab_r1820.jpg.ef8c42a952bcba6b4bc945d78ef60ab0.jpg

I'll desist from more pics for a while, one has to be balanced in these things you know. :)

As to the methods I use to add backgrounds and foregrounds, I select sections of suitable photos, re-size, distort, re-colour to taste, copy it,  and paste it as a new selection over an existing photo, and join the irregularities with the paintbrush tool. All by hand. As is most of the steam and smoke.

I hope that gives an idea at least, I have become very fast at the various techniques involved, and did the above in about an hour, quite scary really.  The speed comes from such as might be done by a violin or piano player, the chords just 'happen', but I can play neither.

Best thing I've seen this week was your 60510 and 60501 pic.

Hi Robbie 

Thank you for you kind comment, that photo looks so impressive.

As you said it’s highly unlikely that Thane of Fife every got to Haymarket in the late 1950,s although the whole class were shedded there in the 1940’s.

60501/2/3 were all York based locomotives in the 1950’s and I do have     an undated photo of 60501 on a freight in the Edinburgh suburbs with the early tender crest and I also have photos of 60502 & 60503 at the depot in 1959  & 1960 respectively.

But as you say artistic license I use it all the time with some of the models I have, but I do try to stick the genuine locomotives and factual dates if Possible when taking photo for the thread.

I belong to quite a few railway groups on Facebook and have album of Haymarket layout photos in the Model Railways Section, where is your page located?

Regards

David

19 minutes ago, great northern said:

Heaton locos were daily visitors to Edinburgh, and plenty of them. They tended to work north of Newcastle more than south of there.

Morning Gilbert

Thats the reason why I very rarely saw any of them down in London back in 1962.

I do have two Graeme King A2/3 conversions, one a Gateshead locomotive the other a Heaton based Loco.

Regards

David

Hi

Hornby A2/2 60501 Cock O The North now full completed as far as I am concerned with just a crew to be added, the jury is out as far as additional weathering goes, still not sure what to do or how far to go with covering up or toning the green livery.

I did manage to replace the missing smokebox door top lamp bracket, not as sophisticated as the one Tony replaced on his A2/2 this was a cut down staple but looks ok from a distance.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3823B.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Morning Gilbert

Thats the reason why I very rarely saw any of them down in London back in 1962.

I do have two Graeme King A2/3 conversions, one a Gateshead locomotive the other a Heaton based Loco.

Regards

David

One or two diagrams as far as Grantham, I believe, and just the one to Peterborough. I don't know of any regularly diagrammed turns to KX. My recollection is that they were very rare sightings even as far North as Doncaster, unless they were visiting Plant.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, great northern said:

One or two diagrams as far as Grantham, I believe, and just the one to Peterborough. I don't know of any regularly diagrammed turns to KX. My recollection is that they were very rare sightings even as far North as Doncaster, unless they were visiting Plant.

Hi Gilbert 

Thats one of the reasons I decided to try to model Haymarket, it was the fascination of its locomotives never seeing them in London during my train-spotting days of 1962/3, just a little bit to late for seeing the non stop and other Anglo Scottish expresses.

So I thought I would try to recreate them in model form.

Regards 

David

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Hornby A2/2 60501 Cock O The North now full completed as far as I am concerned with just a crew to be added, the jury is out as far as additional weathering goes, still not sure what to do or how far to go with covering up or toning the green livery.

I did manage to replace the missing smokebox door top lamp bracket, not as sophisticated as the one Tony replaced on his A2/2 this was a cut down staple but looks ok from a distance.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3823B.jpg

Afternoon, David ,

Glad to see you got a good A.2/2 from Hornby & such a shame that there are so many QC issues with the model. COCN is looking very good although still a bit too clean ( York , like New England was always short of cleaners , regular hours at Rowntrees choc factory saw to that) 

For comparison I enclose a couple of shots of my COCN , a lengthened & much modified Millholme kit with a semi-scratch built tender .

Best wishes ,

Ray .

P1010439a.jpg

P1010442a.jpg

• Like 2