Haymarket 64B

landscapes

3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

That's really rather good. The elevated viewpoint shows off your weathering very well. All traces of the insipid Hornby finish well and truly banished!

The fire irons on the ground are a nice touch. I'm looking forward to seeing this view when you've fully completed the ground treatment - most model depot scenes are far too tidy!

Hi

Thank you for your kind comment, I agree with you the East Yard does need some scenics work to it but as Eric has already mentioned it wasn’t covered in piles of ash or coal.

I was kept in a reasonably clean state of affairs.

This pandemic has put things back as I am getting some help with wiring all droppers to the bus bars and fitting all the point motors, obviously this must be completed before the scenics work can start.

But it does give me an opportunity to work out how I am going to infill between the sleepers so they look semi buried into all the ash build up.

I thinking of using Das modelling Clay for this job or possibly or normal household plater filler mixed with PVA glue to make it pliable. 

Regards

David

10 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi

The same photo as last time but taken at high level.

A good comparison with a visiting York based A2/2 and a Haymarket A4.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3896B.jpg

Great photo David very much in accord with the atmosphere described in Steam Days at Haymarket'.

Good luck with eventually finding material which suits the buildup of ash and other material which existed in and around the track and sleepers in steam sheds, now there's an art form in itself.   That book is next to my computer right now and the photos give a very good idea.

I'm nor sure where fires were disposed of at Haymarket but they certainly made some southern region sheds look very messy! 

As to colour it would have varied but here is an example of a pure steam shed at Paekakariki NZ taken by my brother in 1958 of an NZR  class 4-6-2, and I think this warm neutral tone was quite common. 3'6"  gauge these engines could reach 60mph, my grandfather drive them...  

This shed was one I haunted in the early 60s when it was mostly express steam with 4-8-4s.

601_1958_paekok_1abcdefg_r1200ab.jpg.d75ef3bf940e380a159a3ba1a85532a0.jpg

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, 30368 said:

David,

As requested, my Thompson pacifics lined up in front of where Basingstoke shed will be located. The G5 0-4-4T that I have just completed for The Darlington Model Railway Club gets into some of the pictures - a lttle terrier of a loco!

265554528_016(2).JPG.793b2319fe2fafc8810b1b26b1ffb0b4.JPG

2012273718_018(2).JPG.563f33e655682021aae862b7c809b03c.JPG

828971046_019(2).JPG.0f0337e2efd31b19b066917bc0a6c7c6.JPG

1343967368_020(3).JPG.9c6132382dd98b6d0de6f9db41cae14e.JPG

809885295_002(2).JPG.6ae5990e1e13bd2e1948694c67e647e7.JPG

210966998_021(2).JPG.3501bd0ea4e56ac02215bf5b4b9eafbc.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard 

A lovely line up of LNER Pacific’s and the Kit built G5 looks fantastic.

Not sure how you are going to justify that type of line up outside Basingstoke MPD, but it’s your layout so your rules apply.

Is A2/3 60523 Sun Castle the new Hornby version or one of your own  kit built locomotives.

Thank you for posting g them.

Regards

David

Hi

Another photo of A2/2 60501 Cock O The North together with a visiting B1 standing below the huge water tank which was located on the South elevation of the main shed building, the water tank supplied the entire water supply to the MPD.

The lines below the water tank seemed to be a stabling point for locomotives according to archive photos I have seen, I have no idea why perhaps other members who are more familiar with the MPD may be able to comment.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3908B.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, landscapes said:

Is A2/3 60523 Sun Castle the new Hornby version or one of your own  kit built locomotives.

You are too kind ! Its my DJH kit built version - my pre-order is on Hattons for Strait Deal which, incidently, Hattons billed me for and said it was "picked" only to refund the money and say sorry they were still on order!

Your weathering is truly first class!

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS The Hornby version of BR express loco green is very wrong and the lining is not much better - another 60501 is going to be rather grubby when I have dealt with it.

Edited by 30368

24 minutes ago, 30368 said:

You are too kind ! Its my DJH kit built version - my pre-order is on Hattons for Strait Deal which, incidently, Hattons billed me for and said it was "picked" only to refund the money and say sorry they were still on order!

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS The Hornby version of BR express loco green is very wrong and the lining is not much better - another 60501 is going to be rather grubby when I have dealt with it.

Hi Richard 

thank you for your kind comment 

I thought your Sun Castles livery looked too good to be a Hornby version.

Pleasd feel free to keep posting  your photos here I do enjoy seeing them.

Regards

David

• Funny 1

38 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Kind regards,

Richard B

Why does that story with Hattons not surprise me!

I highly recommend Tony's Trains of Rugby. Second to none in service, and I believe he might have one in stock!

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

I highly recommend Tony's Trains of Rugby.

Thanks Dylan,

Have done so and opened an account too.

Kind regards,

Richard B

16 minutes ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Why does that story with Hattons not surprise me!

I highly recommend Tony's Trains of Rugby. Second to none in service, and I believe he might have one in stock!

Hi

I had my A2/2 60501 on order with Hatton’s and got concerned when lots of other retailers had them in stock but no word from Hatton’s.

In the end I cancelled my order and purchased one of EBay, I ended up saving £8.00 as postage was free.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Hi

I have finally completed the weathering and alterations to A2/2 60501 Cock O The North.

I enclose two photo for comparison.

The first photo is the locomotive straight out of the box with the additional detail pieces that come with the model, drain cock pipes brake rigging and front footsteps.

The second photo is now fully completed and posed in the exact same position again with a Bachmann A2 behind for green livery comparison.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3649B.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning David,

My Hornby Steady Aim arrived today so I took a few snapshots of it and my DJH Sun Castle for comparison purposes. I ordered Steady Aim because it is in fairly original condition with the diagram 117 boiler and Sun Castle is how I remembered her, with the diagram 118 boiler.

I am pleased that my DJH model compares fairly well with the Hornby model but if I am being critical of my efforts (which I always am) I still need to be a little more "cleaner" with my models. The Hornby livery is sadly no better than my 60501. Still no solution to all these LNER pacifics hanging around Basingstoke!

703932847_001(2).JPG.17988bb1c3e8b3c2756b6dac06130629.JPG

1214020709_002(2).JPG.457e5e0b00305f0a22c8aa54fc8dc0f7.JPG

146989905_003(2).JPG.94318c85f7c0f1273b5dcab4cfea9630.JPG

1767456237_005(2).JPG.842cee6446923f847c1f4f31cc1493e9.JPG

By the way, the livery on the Hornby Maunsell Arthur looks pretty good!

1836532559_006(2).JPG.c97d91928599e4d7c8e8b084ac3a4bf2.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
Temporary insanity
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gr.king said:

It looks like you kept a steady aim with the camera but may be in dire straits regarding names. I see no Straight Deal.

Oh my goodness! Where are my specs, I took them off to take the pictures and can't find them anywhere!

Many thanks gr King!

Richard

2 hours ago, 30368 said:

Morning David,

My Hornby Steady Aim arrived today so I took a few snapshots of it and my DJH Sun Castle for comparison purposes. I ordered Steady Aim because it is in fairly original condition with the diagram 117 boiler and Sun Castle is how I remembered her, with the diagram 118 boiler.

I am pleased that my DJH model compares fairly well with the Hornby model but if I am being critical of my efforts (which I always am) I still need to be a little more "cleaner" with my models. The Hornby livery is sadly no better than my 60501. Still no solution to all these LNER pacifics hanging around Basingstoke!

703932847_001(2).JPG.17988bb1c3e8b3c2756b6dac06130629.JPG

1214020709_002(2).JPG.457e5e0b00305f0a22c8aa54fc8dc0f7.JPG

146989905_003(2).JPG.94318c85f7c0f1273b5dcab4cfea9630.JPG

1767456237_005(2).JPG.842cee6446923f847c1f4f31cc1493e9.JPG

By the way, the livery on the Hornby Maunsell Arthur looks pretty good!

1836532559_006(2).JPG.c97d91928599e4d7c8e8b084ac3a4bf2.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

Yes I'm afraid work needs doing on these Thompson Pacific's regarding the green livery, I have had at least four attempts to disguise it and finally gave up on my last attempt which is the last photo above.

Looking at your 60523 Sun Castle you can certainly see the build quality over the Hornby model. 

I have just had one of the plastic cab doors come off my A2/2 60501 luckily I have a few spare brass cab doors I can use so I removed both plastic doors to be replace in brass.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Looking at your 60523 Sun Castle you can certainly see the build quality over the Hornby model. 

You are too kind David.

One thing I have noticed with the Hornby A2/3 is the smoke deflectors - they do not have any brackets at the top of the deflector so bend in towards the boiler. When I get around to it I will at least rectify this omission or replace the deflectors.

Kind regards,

Richard B

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

You are too kind David.

One thing I have noticed with the Hornby A2/3 is the smoke deflectors - they do not have any brackets at the top of the deflector so bend in towards the boiler. When I get around to it I will at least rectify this omission or replace the deflectors.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard 

if you keep the existing smoke deflectors on your Hornby A2/3 an easy way to support the top of the smoke deflectors is to drill two tiny holes into the side of the smokebox and insert a staple that can be used as a bracket.

it would mean removing them first.

Regards 

David

• Thanks 1

Good Evening

A line up of locomotives outside the Eastern Elevation of Haymarket MPD looking across the main running lines and the turntable area.

Having never visited Haymarket I wonder if there was a some kind of access up to the embankment in the foreground in reality.

What a view any would be trainspotter would have had of the MPD and passing expresses travelling further north or down into Waverley station.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3982B.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
On 12/03/2021 at 10:33, Dylan Sanderson said:

Thanks Dylan,

Tony of Tony's Trains is a very helpful chap - Steady Aim delivered yesterday together with the Q6 0-8-0 that I also ordered. First class service and good prices. Thanks for the tip.

I remember the Q6 and J27 classes, seeing many of them hard at work during my trips to the North East sheds in the mid 1960s. They must have been really sound designs ideally suited for the tasks they were designed for lasting, as they did,  until the end of steam in the NE. I have a Oxford J27 on pre-order too.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Thanks Dylan,

Tony of Tony's Trains is a very helpful chap - Steady Aim delivered yesterday together with the Q6 0-8-0 that I also ordered. First class service and good prices. Thanks for the tip.

Glad to hear it! Tony is my go to model shop now. Always over the moon with his service.

Enjoy your A2/3 and Q6! Another model on my hit list!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

A2/2 60501 posed by the south wall of Haymarket MPD about to leave the depot.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3990B.jpg

Now there's a tempting photo for me to embellish!  May I?

It so reminds me of hot summer Sunday afternoon early 60s shed visits in NZ , where in my case a few 4-8-4 express engines were being made ready for overnight trains, and others were either dead or barely 'in steam'. 

In the  late 1950s when 60501 was late crest there were no diesel express trains at all, what a different age!

44 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Now there's a tempting photo for me to embellish!  May I?

It so reminds me of hot summer Sunday afternoon early 60s shed visits in NZ , where in my case a few 4-8-4 express engines were being made ready for overnight trains, and others were either dead or barely 'in steam'. 

In the  late 1950s when 60501 was late crest there were no diesel express trains at all, what a different age!

Hi Robbie 

Please feel free to use the photo.

Back in 2004 I spent three weeks in New Zealand and travelled on the Trans Alpine Express We went from Greymouth back to Christchurch, we had three diesel locomotives pulling our train and went through a very long tunnel that was miles long.

I am sure we came out of the tunnel into a station where I am sure there was an abandoned engine shed in very good condition.

Does that makes sense or have I got my details wrong?

Regards

David