Haymarket 64B

landscapes

22 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Back in 2004 I spent three weeks in New Zealand and travelled on the Trans Alpine Express We went from Greymouth back to Christchurch, we had three diesel locomotives pulling our train and went through a very long tunnel that was miles long.

I am sure we came out of the tunnel into a station where I am sure there was an abandoned engine shed in very good condition.

Does that makes sense or have I got my details wrong?

Arthur’s Pass at the eastern end of the Otira Tunnel?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pH said:

Arthur’s Pass at the eastern end of the Otira Tunnel?

Hi Thanks for the reply.

I remember now the train was advertised as going via Arthur’s Pass, absolutely stunning scenery.

Was I correct that there was an abandoned steam shed and if so is it still there being in such a remote location.

I just remember vaguely seeing the building from the carriage window as we passed by.

Regards

David

8 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Thanks for the reply.

I remember now the train was advertised as going via Arthur’s Pass, absolutely stunning scenery.

Was I correct that there was an abandoned steam shed and if so is it still there being in such a remote location.

I just remember vaguely seeing the building from the carriage window as we passed by.

Regards

David

As I remember the reason for the depot and turntable at Arthur's Pass was because that's where steam handed over to electric traction (and vice versa), as the Otira Tunnel was thought to be too long and steeply graded for steam traction to be practical. Latterly the electrification was removed and it's now worked by diesels.

The Christchurch/Springfield to Arthur's Pass section was famously the home of the Kb class until the end of steam in the late 60s and the NZ film unit made an excellent documentary on the locos and the line prior to their demise: Kb Country.

https://youtu.be/s2YH-djIASE

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi 

Back to Haymarket MPD

One of my favourite class of locomotives and Haymarket had a few on it's books, the D11/2.

No 62682 is about to be turned on the Haymarket turntable and will then follow A2/2 60501 down to the coal stage and then onto the ash pits all in preparation for their next turn of duties.

And blue skies have returned to Edinburgh.

Regards

David

62682_IMG_3998B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Text
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I love the D11 not least because of its heroic exploits on the Great Central, and I have several including weathered LNER and BR versions, lovely models!

Here if permitted are a couple of edited portraits... the LNER celebrating the incedible feats of the class on impossibly tight schedules on the London Extension in the 30s.  3 minutes for a stop and little more to remove a van or add one. I think W A Tuplin wrote of these things.

506_D11_shed2_portrait20_3abcde_r2080.jpg.21d8acf04ee0f2547e42f7b51d5eedd1.jpg

5510_Steam_Tunnel2_D11_Princess_Mary_5abcd_r2080.jpg.0187531967a0b9edefb9158af1c634ed.jpg

Of course I have few Scottish D11s too... :)   Such great engines.

6385_D11_2_3abcde_crop1_r2080a.jpg.02b5275812fc4804a23d479b91f87586.jpg

Edited by robmcg
added pic
  • Like 7

Hi

This evenings photo is of Hornby K1 62024, a Tyneside based K1 at 52C MPD.

Now this may be a bit of unintentional artistic license as I have no record or photos of this class ever visiting Haymarket, perhaps some members may know different.

This was just a model of a class of locomotive I had to buy when it first came out, this is also my first attempt at heavy weathering so things can only get better, it certainly shows how Haymarket looked after it's pacific locomotives just look how clean the A4 is in the background.

Regards

David

62024_IMG_4041B.jpg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, landscapes said:

Now this may be a bit of unintentional artistic license as I have no record or photos of this class ever visiting Haymarket, perhaps some members may know different.

This site:  http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2014/03/haymarket-edinburgh-1960-1963.html  shows 62003 from Heaton at Haymarket on 13 November 1949. A bit before your timescale, but ...

On 16/03/2021 at 12:25, landscapes said:

A line up of locomotives outside the Eastern Elevation of Haymarket MPD looking across the main running lines and the turntable area.

Having never visited Haymarket I wonder if there was a some kind of access up to the embankment in the foreground in reality.

60501_IMG_3982B.jpg

There was apparently access to the line side a little bit further east, just before the overbridge carrying the ex-Caledonian Granton line. David Anderson has had several pictures published looking both east and west from that point. ( I don’t know how official the access was.)

Edit to add - from maps, David Anderson’s viewpoint appears to have been between Haymarket Central Junction signalbox and the Russell Road underpass.

Edited by pH

3 hours ago, pH said:

There was apparently access to the line side a little bit further east, just before the overbridge carrying the ex-Caledonian Granton line. David Anderson has had several pictures published looking both east and west from that point. ( I don’t know how official the access was.)

Edit to add - from maps, David Anderson’s viewpoint appears to have been between Haymarket Central Junction signalbox and the Russell Road underpass.

Hi pH

Thank you for the information that confirms that at least one was seen on Haymarket and who knows there may have been others later on that we’re just  not recorded.

In my train-spotting days I is to visit Willesden MPD 1A many times in the 1060’s and on one occasion in 1964 we saw B1 61003 Gazelle on shed and had no idea what it was doing there.

So who knows and K1’s were regularly used on the Fort William to Mallaig line and where some based in the Glasgow area.

Thanks again for your reply, this will teach me to purchase locomotives without researching them.  

Regards

David

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Not tempted by Luckie Mucklebakit then?

Hi Funny enough yes I was thinking of changing one of the D11/2 class especially as Modelmaster do replacement transfer names for the class.

It may be something to do in the future.

Regards

David 

Hi

This evening photo is one of my favourite angles, a high level photo looking across the East Yard as though it was taken from the coaling tower or a high location.

It shows some rather dirty visiting locomotives waiting to return south and home plus some typically clean Haymarket Pacific's as well.

I have also photoshopped some smoke in to try to give a bit more atmosphere this is something I very rarely do but thought I would give it a try on this occasion.

Regards

David 

60098_IMG_4087S.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/03/2021 at 23:34, landscapes said:

Hi

This was just a model of a class of locomotive I had to buy when it first came out, this is also my first attempt at heavy weathering so things can only get better, it certainly shows how Haymarket looked after it's pacific locomotives just look how clean the A4 is in the background.

Regards

David

62024_IMG_4041B.jpg

Good evening David,

Very impressive weathering on your K1.

May I make one observation, please? The angle of the return crank on this side of the Hornby K1 is daft; it's the complete opposite of what it should be, and looks weird in motion.

1230666950_HornbyK1R3242improvements02.jpg.0feb12c99b062de49737c22cc9ac1f5f.jpg

It leans backwards!

2114510800_HornbyK1R3242improvements03.jpg.09e895f968d8c046a01a4ed6d3b7652a.jpg

Adjusting it is easy; just undo the nut. 

801070438_HornbyK1R3242improvements04.jpg.91d99916bac3e54b00e1e239b76d9a84.jpg

And then tighten it up into the correct position.

1380309627_HornbyK1R3242improvements14.jpg.779a5513d3009c086cfe5f7a0dc9094b.jpg

I had a Hornby K1 which I renumbered and weathered. Then, because I have three other K1s, I sold it. 

644074079_HornbyK1R3242improvements16.jpg.0a0f5854169bca94a9950c7339be12a2.jpg

This is my DMR example; built/painted by me and weathered by Tom Foster.

2001493640_K16201803.jpg.00452e750a5e07ed3fe6f261e5e87812.jpg

And one of my Nu-Cast K1s, built by me and painted by Geoff Haynes.

Some lovely recent images of Haymarket, by the way.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

53 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening David,

Very impressive weathering on your K1.

May I make one observation, please? The angle of the return crank on this side of the Hornby K1 is daft; it's the complete opposite of what it should be, and looks weird in motion.

1230666950_HornbyK1R3242improvements02.jpg.0feb12c99b062de49737c22cc9ac1f5f.jpg

It leans backwards!

2114510800_HornbyK1R3242improvements03.jpg.09e895f968d8c046a01a4ed6d3b7652a.jpg

Adjusting it is easy; just undo the nut. 

801070438_HornbyK1R3242improvements04.jpg.91d99916bac3e54b00e1e239b76d9a84.jpg

And then tighten it up into the correct position.

1380309627_HornbyK1R3242improvements14.jpg.779a5513d3009c086cfe5f7a0dc9094b.jpg

I had a Hornby K1 which I renumbered and weathered. Then, because I have three other K1s, I sold it. 

644074079_HornbyK1R3242improvements16.jpg.0a0f5854169bca94a9950c7339be12a2.jpg

This is my DMR example; built/painted by me and weathered by Tom Foster.

2001493640_K16201803.jpg.00452e750a5e07ed3fe6f261e5e87812.jpg

And one of my Nu-Cast K1s, built by me and painted by Geoff Haynes.

Some lovely recent images of Haymarket, by the way.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

Thank you for your very kind comments.

I will certainly have a look at the return crank angle, I assume that once the nut has been loosened I can just push the return crank into the correct position.

Your K1’s look excellent on Your Little Bytham layout, also talking about weathering I thought Tim did a stunning job on Gilbert’s Hornby A2/2 those daylight photo he took looked just amazing, 

Regards

David

1 minute ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

Thank you for your very kind comments.

I will certainly have a look at the return crank angle, I assume that once the nut has been loosened I can just push the return crank into the correct position.

Your K1’s look excellent on Your Little Bytham layout, also talking about weathering I thought Tim did a stunning job on Gilbert’s Hornby A2/2 those daylight photo he took looked just amazing, 

Regards

David

Hi Tony

I have kit had a look at my Hornby K1, the return crank looks as though it’s at the correct angle.

Please excuse the photo quality as I took this on my iPhone.

Regards

David

542B3377-3EFD-4576-B100-562157CB9A05.jpeg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

I have kit had a look at my Hornby K1, the return crank looks as though it’s at the correct angle.

Please excuse the photo quality as I took this on my iPhone.

Regards

David

542B3377-3EFD-4576-B100-562157CB9A05.jpeg

Good morning David,

What you need to do is to get the crank to bottom dead centre; then you'll see it's leaning backwards on this side.

Just undo the nut, turn the crank through 90 degrees forwards and re-tighten.

Your weathering looks excellent in close-up. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning David,

What you need to do is to get the crank to bottom dead centre; then you'll see it's leaning backwards on this side.

Just undo the nut, turn the crank through 90 degrees forwards and re-tighten.

Your weathering looks excellent in close-up. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I have read this advice before, but not sure whether I've understood it.  I presume by turning the crank through 90 degrees, it is no longer located by the flats on the end of the crankpin, that normally hold it in position?  Hence also, it would no longer be close up to the connecting rod, or am I missing something....

34 minutes ago, 31A said:

I have read this advice before, but not sure whether I've understood it.  I presume by turning the crank through 90 degrees, it is no longer located by the flats on the end of the crankpin, that normally hold it in position?  Hence also, it would no longer be close up to the connecting rod, or am I missing something....

I'm struggling to remember what I did now, Steve,

I no longer have the model to check. Either I opened out the hole in the return crank so that it would fit over the crankpin in a different position, or just tightened it up in the different position. Either way, it didn't come loose (and the chap to whom I sold it hasn't reported problems). Could I have soldered it for full-security? 

This 'wrong' lean to the return cranks is common to both Hornby and Bachmann, but on different sides. It really should be altered, otherwise the locos look like rebuilt Bulleid Pacifics in motion. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm struggling to remember what I did now, Steve,

I no longer have the model to check. Either I opened out the hole in the return crank so that it would fit over the crankpin in a different position, or just tightened it up in the different position. Either way, it didn't come loose (and the chap to whom I sold it hasn't reported problems). Could I have soldered it for full-security? 

This 'wrong' lean to the return cranks is common to both Hornby and Bachmann, but on different sides. It really should be altered, otherwise the locos look like rebuilt Bulleid Pacifics in motion. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you, Tony.  I suppose if you just put the crank in the right position and tightened the nut up, it would clamp it on top of the end of the crankpin, albeit on top of the shouldered part which has the 'flats' on it.  I don't think I'd want to risk soldering, as I think the wheel centres are plastic?

Hi

Another photo of K1 62024, standing outside the building that housed the shed Foreman and members of the MPD's office staff.

This time taken at a different angle looking over the building and across the East Yard.

Regards

David

62024_IMG_4116B.jpg

• Like 5