se finecast

Was just surfing the web, and came across the se finecast site, and noticed that they have a model of the c13. The question I have is how difficult these kits are for someone who has never done whitemetal kit before, who can do glues but canot solder for toffie, and whats the quality like?

Also, I notice that they do the body kit olny as well as the etched chassis. So if you got the body kit, and sutible chassis out there?

I would say SEF kits are generally an excellent quality standard for whitemetal. The technology does require a few basic tools (needle files, etc,) to put them together, and as with any kit, the more care you put in the better and more satisfying the final result.

Many of the 'body-only' kits were designed (a long time ago!) for rtr chassis that in some cases might not exist anymore, or are difficult to source, hence the newer/updated kits with etched chassis. These will require some soldering skills, but yer gotta learn somewhere...

How long's a piece of string?

SEF kits generally aren't hugely difficult - their kits range from the straightforward to the newer ones that have masses of detail, but everything is explained in their instructions, and their exploded diagrams are pretty good. If you've ever built a plastic aeroplane kit, you'll recognise the exploded diagram style.

You can glue a SEF kit together quite neatly - it's probably better that you do this than risk melting parts with an unwieldy soldering iron. Make sure the parts to be fitted together will actually do that - you might need to go over the mating surfaces with a fine needle file or sandpaper first.

...toffie.....

Is that a term for some who's like a posh person, but isn't actually posh? :jester:

Is the C13 a new kit?

I see they do a C12 and as an old (non-revised) bodyline kit it should be simple as they can be built using epoxy glue, their older etched chassis screw type frame spacers, though some simple soldering is needed.

The newer kits are a bit more difficult, only because they have a lot more detaild parts. But again should be fine for a beginner. Dave the owner is very helpfull chap and a delight to deal with, give him a call

If you haven't done a loco kit before I can recommend a few resources:

Tony Wright builds a SEF 4F in this DVD: http://www.model-railway-dvd.co.uk/right_track1.php and part 2. About 3 hours each and very good value. The other DVDs are similarly very good.

Wild Swan modelling books are really first class: http://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/books/wildswanmodelling.php There are books on Whitemetal kits, chassis building and even scratchbuilding. The thing is that many of these are out of print but can be obtained second hand. Gary at BRB has been very helpful to me.

John

Archived