Glueing down ballast

Hello!

I've just put down some ballast scatter onto the track where I want to put it, and I've spreaded it out to how I want it, but whats the best way to glue it down without it loosing its place of where I put it? I've heard spraying it with Diluted PVA does the job, but what spray bottle do I need?

Im also on a budget... so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jack

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jack, the "standard" technique (others are available) is to:

using a hand sprayer - the sort that you use for misting houseplants or hairdressers use for wetting your hair before cutting. Fill with water and a few drops of washing up liquid and mist the track, slowly at first from a distance then gradually moving closer as it gets wet ensuring that the ballast gets a good soaking.

Now with a mix of 50/50 PVC glue and water, again with a few drops of washing up liquid drop the glue onto the wet ballast with an eye dropper or better one of those syringes that come with childrens medicine these days.

Allow to dry overnight.

Beware though that if you have used real granite ballast it will probably go green. Woodland Scenics stuff does not suffer from this problem.

Dam you Redgatemodels beat me to it while I was typing.

I've recently finished balasting on my layout and this is what I did:

once the balast is in the correct position spary with washing up liquid and water dont point it towards the ballast or it will blow it out of the way you want a light mist falling down on it which sort of binds it together.

Then mix up your PVa/water/washing up liquid sollution (you might not need washing up liquid in it but I put it in to be on the safe side) then mist this over in the same way until it looks saturated, avoid doing too much or you will get fans coming out of it and it will spoil your hard work.

if it goes green I generally find it can be fixed by a wash of Acrylic Black/brown paint and water also makes it looks nice!

Give it a go I enjoy it!

Will

Guest jim s-w

Hi Jack

I use Klear floor polish. No need to wet anything first and it dries in about an hour. Just apply neat with an eye dropper.

Cheers

Jim

Place ballast, add Klear with pipette, let dry. ;)

Beat me to it -- it really is that simple :icon_e_biggrin:

You might also try going to the RMweb front page and scrolling down to the 'Google Custom Search' which allows you to search the old RMweb. Try entering something like 'klear ballast' and you'll find it has been discussed before, as have the more traditional (and often more messy) PVA and washing up liquid methods.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

has anybody ever tried adding wallpaper paste powder to the ballast mix and then spraying with water after brushing the stones and powder into place ?

Chris

When the paste dissolves (which it will struggle to do without being very wet) it will leave voids in the ballast, and the carefully crafted ballast shape will collapse, into the tie bar of a point no doubt.

You are much better using a plastic pipette or dropper to put the glue down. A 50/50 glue/water mix is too thick to spray properly and will clog the nozzle on the sprayer. Using a dropper is much easier and more accurateas you can get the glue exactly where you want it.

chemists or boots is the best bet - eye drop pipettes are good but also with some meds you get plastic syringes that you can use to control the flow of liquid .

Chris

or if you havent laid the track yet - paint the baseboard with neat pva in the route of the track and then pin / stick you track down on it - then spread ballast along the pva. When dry hoover up the excess - worked a treat on the layout I built for my son and I wish I had done it that way on mine.

Most dispensing chemists will have eye-droppers, teat pipettes and the like.

I am solidly in the dilute PVA in a plant mister camp. Four parts water, one part PVA, drop of washing up liquid: that will spray as a fine mist and the speed is what makes it so good, no prewetting required. Arrange the ballast, mist it on until the solution is visble between the ballast, wipe off the rail tops, walk away and let the water completely evaporate. I have even got away with doing this over points, but normally mask off moving parts, and do these by dropper.

I agree with Jim about Johnson's Klear. I used it for the first time stick ballast to a new layout with it recently and it is magic. One ??2.49 bottle did all the track and scenic scatter on a 5ftx1ft board with plenty leftover.

How solid does the Klear go? I was considering using copydex rather than PVA as it doesn't set rock hard like PVA does. I can't see the point of putting track on top of a cork underlay only to lock it completely solid with PVA. So what's Klear like when it's dried?

Guest jim s-w

Indeed but equally not all low height sleepering needs just a thin layer of ballast either. some need raised shoulders

Cheers

Jim

Archived