Glueing down ballast

has anybody ever tried adding wallpaper paste powder to the ballast mix and then spraying with water after brushing the stones and powder into place ?

No but I have talked to other people who have tried this. One of the problems is that wallpaper paste is not really strong enough to reliably hold stone chips in place. Might work for ballast that is not stone based (ground cork or nut shells).

A simmilar suggestion is to use a powdered adhesive called cascamite. This is strong enough to hold almost anything but will set absolutely rock solid so make sure you really have the ballast where you want it before you apply the water. ;)

I use Klear floor polish. No need to wet anything first and it dries in about an hour. Just apply neat with an eye dropper.

Does it not give the ballast a rather glossy look when it dries or do you add a matting agent?

Noe other thing is that some people suggest adding detergent as a wetting agent to the water spray and dilute PVA. Another tip I have heard is to use a few drops of isopropyl alcohol (available from chemists and maplins among opthre places). Apparently this is even better at breaking up the surface tension.

pipettes of various types and shapes can be got from a chemist, and sometimes one with a curve on the end really helps.

I converted on this layout to the Klear method as well... having done 5 or 6 layouts with the PVA and then spent ages chipping dried glue out of pointwork where it misted in and congealed, the Klear method was a dream. Nothing in the wrong place, no pointwork glued up and no track cleaning needed afterwards and thats on deep ballasted peco code 55 N. icon_thumbsup2.gif

It's strong enough that theres absolutely no need for any form of track pins to hold it down anywhere, and a couple of pins which were inserted to hold alignment during track laying have now been removed and theres no glossing at all, it's like it dissapeared completely.

No wetting agent required either, even on woodland scenics ballast that tends to float away in anything.. just add the neat Klear to the outside edges of the ballast and watch it suck itselfe into every grain.

Regards

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Tried 'Klear'recently for ballasting on Matford's rebuilding. AFAIAC I'll not use the old PVA method again. It all went so well and looked fine when it was dry. I used it neat, with an eye dropper and it tended to get 'sucked up' very well without 'puddling' of the ballast, which tends to occur with the PVA/water sprayed with washing up liquid method. One thing I did notice was, as previously mentioned, that natural stone ballast can puddle with the Klear, but with the 'organic' Woodland Scenics stuff, it soaks up nicely.

It does dry a little darker perhaps than the PVA method, but I can live with that. The most important thing to me is getting the ballast nice and neat and level in the sleeper beds, and compacted. To this end I made a little hand tamper out of a small bit of stripwood, the same size as the sleeper bed with a cocktail stick attached. Before adding the Klear I give the rails a few little taps to vibrate some of the ballast granules off the sleepers.

Also one of my pet hates is seeing ballast all over the sleepers. I know that it occurs on the real railway, but to me it never looks right in the smaller scales.

When all is dry, finish off some general weathering with powders.

post-6728-12615816227798_thumb.jpg

post-6728-12615816715854_thumb.jpg

post-6728-12615817083706_thumb.jpg

post-6728-12615817481672_thumb.jpg

post-6728-12615817871014_thumb.jpg

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

No it doesn't (go shiney), but even if it did wouldn't you weather the track anyway?

first%20OLE%20part%202.jpg

The above pic show's Klear secured ballast as it dries before weathering.

HTH

Jim

One of the track component manufacturers [C&L ] recommend using a latex glue [Copydex or similar] rather than PVA as it doesn't set hard.

For misting the ballast I use an cooking oil spray [like a pump up aerosol can] as it gives a finer mist. Plant sprays I've always found tend to spray out such large drops that the ballast is disturbed.

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Art shops have very nice plastic pipettes as artists use them for accurately mixing paint. I paid 50p each for those I bought at a local artists' supplies/craft shop. They also have dropper bottles.

Mike

100 for roughly ??8.00 on eBay - look for disposable pipettes.

• RMweb Premium

I believe you should be able to remove Klear using an ammonia solution or one of the window cleaners that are basically just that. It's what's recommended for cleaning the floor prior to retreating with Klear. Mind you I haven't had the need to try it (yet).

Cheers

Dave

Archived