Improved Rail Link to Stansted?

They have just been interviewing a politico on the radio (didn't catch the name) about new/expanded London airports. He reckoned that because Stansted is only operating at half capacity the answer lay in improved rail links. They have built a dedicated line, connects to a reasonably fast line to London, Cambridge and trains run to Liverpool IIRC, so what more can be done realistically?

Discuss!

Ed

Part of a previous survey for a planning application included the reopening of the Bishops Stortford - Braintree line.It was claimed that this route existed and laying new track could be carried out very cheaply. Could be that old chestnut doing the rounds again. Trouble is some people can be very gullible.

Bernard

I don't think improving rail links to Stansted will make a lot of difference. If I want to fly anywhere on a proper airline I have to drive right past Stansted and go to Heathrow. Most irritating that not much other than the budget airlines fly from Stansted, and budget passengers cannot afford to go there by train. Linking Heathrow to Stansted via Crossrail might be a boon for interchanging passengers, and linking to Manchester airport might work too.

For any expansion and development of Stansted to take more of the load, the prerequisite would have to be a significant improvement in both rail and road provision.

Just looking at rail for now, the existing service and infrastructure (line and London Terminus) are wholly inadequate and too slow.

Also if Stansted were to be chosen as the new London Hub, or to be part of a hub solution, with being so far from London journey times would have to be dramatically reduced from the current 47 minutes to less than 25.

The other issues are line capacity and terminal capacity in London. The number of new passengers would swamp existing facilities.

The only way to address this would have to be with a new line, probably HS, with new or extended terminal facilities in London and integration and connectivity with the existing and planned infrastructure (e.g. Crossrail 1 and 2/3).

The existing old infrastructure simply cannot take such a load on its own

Similarly, connections to the Home Counties, Midlands and further north would have undergo a stepped improvement from the current regional rail arrangements.

On the other hand, if we are just talking about utilising Stansted's spare capacity, irrespective of whether a new hub is going to be developed or built elsewhere, then a new rail link may not be needed, but there would have to be some big changes to make this a more attractive airport than it currently is.

• RMweb Gold

Two problems I have with the rail link to Stansted is time of service (not early enough or late enough - I have come very close to missing last train back after been stuck in long queues at UK border controls) and journey time (45 mins). Don't know if there is more they could do on the later.

Cheers, Mike

The whole point of having an airport hub is that you change planes quickly at that hub. The suggestion of having half a hub at Heathrow and half a hub at Stansted will not work. I think this needs to be viewed from a flying point of view rather than a railway point of view.

Graham

Only ever went through Stanstead once,not a pleaseant experience big queues and long walk to plane(Ryanair so equaly unpleaseant) had to go by car car parking horrible luckily I dont fly anymore so others can suffer.The tunnel into the airport from the main line will have to be improved and if the line through the Lea Valley is quadrupled maybe more services can run but if they build a giant airport in the home counties will expansion happen?

surely with flying/ travelling abroad what you care about most is the plane/ suitable airport so the 1% of your journey which is getting to the airport in the first place is probably not taken into consideration when booking, as long as its in your general neck of the woods. When going on holiday I have never decided not to book a certain package because I couldnt get a suitably priced train to the airport.

• RMweb Gold

surely with flying/ travelling abroad what you care about most is the plane/ suitable airport so the 1% of your journey which is getting to the airport in the first place is probably not taken into consideration when booking, as long as its in your general neck of the woods. When going on holiday I have never decided not to book a certain package because I couldnt get a suitably priced train to the airport.

I think you're spot on there - we are reasonably sited for Heathrow (less than 30 minutes by car off-peak) but I've used Gatwick, Stansted, and on one occasion put our son on a flight from Birmingham, and in all cases the choice of airport was down to cost and or convenience of the flight. Provided the airport is reasonably accessible, preferably by public transport, then the flight/its cost/check-in time is usually the governing factor.

• RMweb Gold

Typical of the half-hearted approach of UK govts (all parties) the line into Stansted was only built as single track. So first (and needlessly expensive) thing to do is to build a second rail tunnel when it would have been so much easier to build a double-track tunnel to begin with.

The Lea Valley used to be four-track (two for freight) so there is some scope to increase capacity but it won't be easy.

With Crossrail taking a lot of trains out of Liverpool St., it should be possible to rearrange things a bit so that Stansted Express services run via Stratford rather than the slow route through Hackney Downs and Clapton. That would save a few minutes as well as giving many more interchange possibilities.

Archived