Reinstating a junction - research sources for accurate modelling?

If I wanted to model a PWay or civil engineering scene, say a disused junction being reinstated with new track etc, are there any good sources of information or photo references to get this modelled accurately?

I'm thinking there must be rules or principles covering things like where safety fencing would be put, any line speed changes on the existing line, what machines would be involved, where track, points etc would be stored while waiting for a line possession.

In particular I'm thinking of an imaginary junction where the track is being reinstated close to the existing running lines and off down the currently closed branch, but no work has been started yet on making changes to connect the two (so the main line runs straight past the site, no turnouts installed yet)

Any pointers much appreciated!

David

• 4 weeks later...

I might have some relevant photos of what you're looking for David.

A site office and compound if there's room would be very appropriate but there might not be much activity during the day. Often work like what you describe will be planned long in advance so contractors (and it would be a contractor in this sort of case I suspect) could go and work one weekend to do the bulk of the work. In fact a full junction would probably require a blockade of a at least a day. Rules of the route aren't much use here. Remember that full resignalling with changes to panels, interlocking and lineside eaquipment will also be required. So quite likely to see new locs going in and S&T preparing their equipment in readiness for commissioning.

The new S&C may come to site as a series of pre-prepared panels but these are rather big. More likely delievered by road a kit of parts. Then it should be assembled on site and then moved into place with cranes but if this isn't practical it will be assembled in its chosen location. However it will have been assembled and checked during manufacture first.

• RMweb Gold

I've been photographing the progress of the works to double track the tanners hill flydown at St Johns, near Lewisham. A lot of similar photos, I'm afraid, but it might give you some ideas. The junction work just the station side of the flyover, has been complete for some time, but that by the station hasn't been started yet. The next major step will be the rebuilding of the bridge, which has just been closed to traffic. One pic, snapped from the top of a bus, shows a section of the pointwork unloaded by the side of the line.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/sets/72157624069811241/

I hope they are some use

Dave

Archived