The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Guitars

edcayton

• RMweb Gold

EDIT: The early Squier copies were made in Japan,

and were so well made, they now fetch prices almost in line with Fenders

A guitarist pal of mine has an 80's Squier Strat,

and he reckons it's the best strat he's played....

I've got an early Squier Tele which feels the 'the real deal'

Biggest regret ever was flogging my 60s Hofner Violin Bass in the 70s. It was a joy to play.

Looking to maybe buy a Jazz bass. I really want a Jaguar. But this one has come along at the right price!

Anyone out there with experience of Jaguar basses?

• RMweb Premium

No fear of that, my Guitar Gods are David Gilmour, Pete Townshend and Martin "Lancelot" Barre (as he was introduced by Ian Anderson at one Tull concert I saw). And I can make a fair go at "Wish You Were Here" "Slip Kid" and "Aqualung" (or used to, anyway)

F

You go, Flavio !!

Apart from the differences in neck profile Precisions are popular to record with because the pick up is humbucking.

Btw anyone know Damian Probett at WAL?

Best, Pete.

Thought Paul Herman was on his own these days. Pete Stevens had a few helpers over the last years but I did not know Damian, sorry.

Hi

Its not as impressive as everyone else's on here but I have a left-handed Aria STG -in sunburst as the flamingo red was not available in left handed form. I think it is the STG300, it is the model which has three single coil pickups rather than humbuckers. It looks nice and I enjoy having a go at playing it- much better to have a proper left handed model but I don't think I can get it sound that good. Sounds a lot better plugged into a proper amp with echo unit- such as the only occasion I have played it (loose use of word 'played') it in public which had the added bonus of being backed by Brian Locking on bass who was very polite and encouraging towards my hamfisted, play by ear 'playing'.

Does Mrs Dottore play an instrument or sing?...
Mrs iD plays the flute, or used to (she hasn't played since I met her over two decades ago). Much as I like classical music, I'm certainly not in the league to accompany classical flute. Of course, there's always Mr Ian Anderson and the boys in JT, but Mrs iD doesn't like Tull (how can you not like a band that has created two amazing British railway themed songs: "Locomotiive Breath" and "Journeyman"? The latter evoking for me memories of travelling in a Mk 1 carriage hauled by a Class 50 on a late night train from Waterloo to Andover).

iD

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Its not as impressive as everyone else's on here but I have a left-handed Aria STG -in sunburst as the flamingo red was not available in left handed form. I think it is the STG300, it is the model which has three single coil pickups rather than humbuckers. It looks nice and I enjoy having a go at playing it- much better to have a proper left handed model but I don't think I can get it sound that good. Sounds a lot better plugged into a proper amp with echo unit- such as the only occasion I have played it (loose use of word 'played') it in public which had the added bonus of being backed by Brian Locking on bass who was very polite and encouraging towards my hamfisted, play by ear 'playing'.

Nowt wrong with that guitar IMO; strat-a-likes usually sound decent enough if a respectable company makes them, and Aria have always had a good name...

Any individual expression on an instrument has to be encouraged so well done and don't stop now; get some easy-play books and music of tunes you know and you'll be surprised how straight forward it'll be to learn and play especially as you have ability in the play-by-ear category, which many musicians don't have...

David

Archived