The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Guitars

edcayton

So, despite what I said, I've just been and gone and bought a Gibson Les Paul studio model! I can't play the thing and will need lessons, but, hey, the deed is done.

What happened is that my ancient nylon strung guitar became unplayable (mainly because I put steel strings on it many years ago-don't!). I took it to a local guy who makes and mends instruments and he said it's not really mendable, and certainly not at a sensible cost.

Anyway, I trotted off to the guitar shop (almost next door to the model shop, Stevenage does have its plus points) to buy new strings, an electronic tuner and some Fast Fret to get my 12 string playable, and hopefully easier to tune.

I had half an hour to spare, so looked at the stock. Of course the first one I fell in love with was a 1969 Gibson arch top-at £6000 the most expensive in the shop! There was a nice secondhand one hanging over the stairs for around the £1500 mark and something I'd not seen before, a Martin nylon strung acoustic with a cut away body for similar money. Both of these would have meant trading in my Fylde which I don't really want to do right now.

But then, hiding at the back of the display I saw a lovely subtle Les Paul for £650, which is less than I thought I could get a genuine USA Gibson for. I picked it up and made some nice noises, despite the neck being narrower than I'm used to and the light action. The shop man played it and "made it scream and sing" as Mr Knopfler put it, told me he had one and loved it-they always say that don't they?-we did a deal with a Fender practice amp, lead, strap and strap locks so I don't drop it like my son did with his Les Paul copy, and he threw in my strings and stuff for free.

Here we go on a new adventure

Ed

Have Fun, Ed!

I've got two Les Pauls, an Ebony Custom from 1981 and a '61 SG Les Paul Standard in White (bit of a cheat really 'cos this one is SG shaped).....

The Custom is great for getting those chewy, thick Mick Taylor tones - it's also wired for that Peter Green thing.

Cheers, Pete.

I'm sure you'll have fun Ed - good luck from a fellow muso (well a bass player anyway!)

I've just picked up a second hand USA Fender Jazz Bass for £600 - it's quite a good market if you're buying at the moment but not so good for selling.

Alan.

• RMweb Premium

I'm on the look out for a Fender Precision in three colour burst, '63 look-a-like, with all the hardware they came with at the time. First decent bass I ever played (it was about the same size as me at the time).

Best, Pete.

Something like this:

http://www.thebassga...=2391&type=Bass Guitar

or this:

http://www.thebassga...=2303&type=Bass Guitar

If we're talking Fenders then personally I'm a Jazz Bass man, but Precisions have their uses ;)

But from that era I always go to the old Ricki 4001...

Edit: sorry, Ed, meant to say; my old guitar/music theory tutor Ed Speight had a gold top Les Paul and used it for everything from Ian Dury gigs to Cologne Symphony Orchestra; versatile axe indeed - enjoy!!

David

Can't beat a Les Paul! :)

I've owned several over the years, but have whittled things down to just two now - a '92 Standard in black & a '93 Studio in Wine Red (quite ratty with an ugly-looking repair to a headstock/neck break - but plays beautifully).

I think the best looking one I had was this 2001 Studio Plus, but I was always scared of marking it, so it never got played...

post-6843-0-56901500-1346836349.jpg

Kevin

I'm on the look out for a Fender Precision in three colour burst, '63 look-a-like, with all the hardware they came with at the time. First decent bass I ever played (it was about the same size as me at the time).

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete,

The first "proper" bass I bought was a Fender Precision in black (early to mid 70's) but unfortunately sold it just after I got married and packed up playing for quite a few years. I find the necks on the Jazz a bit more manageable though for my size hands.

Alan.

I like fat necks - goes with my fathead.

All my guitars are pretty well knocked around as I don't baby them at all. I do, however get them serviced by my tech regularly - the necks need a tweak about twice a year, I suppose. I use S.O.B. strings and if I cannot get those "Burnished Nickels".

Best, Pete.

Well done Ed,

Music and trains - it's just missing the word "beer" to sound like paradise :)

I've got too many basses (yes, you CAN have too many, according to SWMBO)

and at the Cambridge folk fest last month, I ended up buying an electric double bass!!!!

Now, I can't play that, but I'm giving it a damn good try.......

It's so much bigger than a bass guitar, and the notes are so much further appart

the strings generate way much more friction on my fingertips...

... which are now sore!

but hey, the instrument was half price

and I love trying to play it :)

Good luck with your Les Paul - a classic design

Persistence and practice - that's all it takes...

... oh, and time none of us seem to have :(

Cheers

Marc

My first bass was an Antoria EB3 copy until I bought a Gibson EB3 in 1973 didn't like it at all and traded it for a 1964 EB3. Was and still am not a Fender man.

The EB3 was my main bass in the 70's, was modded/abused and is now in bits waiting to be put back together.

post-775-0-46497500-1346846720.jpg

It's modern day replacement is this Epiphone Elite EB3, far better IMO, than Gibsons lastest offering, the SG Bass, although I have replaced the neck pick up with an original Gibson pickup. Identical in build and feel to my old Gibson but has a more tunable bridge.

post-775-0-36252200-1346846751.jpg

My other basses in the 70's were two Les Paul Basses, not the 4 string guitar lookalikes they have now.

post-775-0-35509900-1346847651.jpg

Along with the Epiphone I now use Warwick Thumb basses.

post-775-0-73297500-1346847947_thumb.jpg

And Ampeg amplification.

post-775-0-46362300-1346847883.jpg

My band do a lot of material by FREE hence the EB3, the right/only tool for the job.

Something like this:

http://www.thebassga...=2391&type=Bass Guitar

or this:

http://www.thebassga...=2303&type=Bass Guitar

But from that era I always go to the old Ricki 4001...

David

Ha! I have an old Cimar copy (which I think was made by Ibanez). Dunno how old it is but I've owned it since about '83. I bought it from Robbie Gladwell (Dr. Robbie). It even has Stereo outputs. Not the dual truss rods, unfortunately.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Ha! I have an old Cimar copy (which I think was made by Ibanez). Dunno how old it is but I've owned it since about '83. I bought it from Robbie Gladwell (Dr. Robbie). It even has Stereo outputs. Not the dual truss rods, unfortunately.

Best, Pete.

Haha! right back - my first 'real' bass was the 'original' Ibanez Ricki copy in black and white with dual humbuckers and triangle inlays complete with curly Ibanez logo on the 'stock!! They subsequently denied they ever made the beast...!! I also owned a Shaftesbury 'identi-Ricki' until I took the plunge and got the real thing...no contest after that !!

David

Talking about ancient nylon strung guitars...in 1975 I bought a Hokada for £87 and it's still doing me stirling service. Going by the UK RPI that equates to over £600 today. But it didn't seem anything like that much at the time, and I was unemployed!

Must change those strings though...

......... Was and still am not a Fender man......

......It's modern day replacement is this Epiphone Elite EB3, far better IMO, than Gibsons lastest offering, the SG Bass....

My other basses in the 70's were two Les Paul Basses....

Along with the Epiphone I now use Warwick Thumb basses.

And Ampeg amplification....

Hi there,

I'm not a fan of Fender basses either...

I used to own a musicmaster, and a maple fingerboard precision

The latter was well built, but a really heavy piece of wood

and not particularly playable - with its' chunky neck.....

However, I now have a Squier (for one particular band I'm in)

It has a jazz profile neck - which is much thinner at the bottom end

and 2 pickups! - which makes it much more flexible, sound-wise

It's a malaysian built bass, and is infinately better than any Fender I've ever played

My favourite bass is my Ibanez Soundgear SR500

It's incredibly lightweight, and with a really ultra slim, ultra fast neck

and brilliant Bartolini electronics / pickups......

I also use an Ibanez electro-acoustic bass,

which is brilliant! And is the most mazing sounding bass I've heard

and it's just over £200 new :) :)

I also have a Rickenbacker 4003

But I never use it, and will probably sell it

My amplification is a Markbass rig

and I love these incredible souding lightweight amps....

I carry an Ampeg backup head

One huge regret I have, is that I once owned a "Shaftesbury"

Rick 4001 copy. It was great to play, and had a through-neck,

and sounded just like a Rick.... honest!

These are now rare as hens teeth

and I wish I still had mine......

Nice collection of basses there

I always liked the look of the EB3

... played a copy years back - it was awful :(

Cheers

Marc

• RMweb Premium

I also have a Rickenbacker 4003

But I never use it, and will probably sell it

One huge regret I have, is that I once owned a "Shaftesbury"

Rick 4001 copy. It was great to play, and had a through-neck,

and sounded just like a Rick.... honest!

These are now rare as hens teeth

and I wish I still had mine......

4003; year, colour, condition? May take it off your hands ATRP B)

Totally agree about the Shaftesbury; I had a bright red sunburst one and stripped it off with Nitromors to bare wood then handbrush-varnished it to look like Lemmy's (oh dear...)!! only superceded by the real thing, but still the best backup Ricki out there...if, as you say, you can find one...

Ha, I had to look that up.

In his Free days he seemed to move like a metronome. I can't get in to what he is doing now.

I saw them play at The Wake Arms, Epping 4 weeks before "Alright Now" was released. They were on a 12 foot square "stage" and I was standing so close to Paul Kossoff that I suffered a 90 minute shower of his sweat (he was a very sweaty guy).

The 100 strong audience was heaving...in a good way!

It's up there in my Top 5 gigs of all time.

Best, pete.

Picked up the amp this morning. Fender Mustang 1, which is only a practice amp and won't impress the players on here but, Bloody Hell I am amazed by the sounds and effects available. How on earth do you decide which settings to use for a piece?

A very contented Ed

Archived