The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Guitars

edcayton

I always liked the look of the EB3

... played a copy years back - it was awful :(

Cheers

Marc

Epiphone themselves make an awful EB0 and EB3 with almost brush handle thin necks. The Elite, later changed to Elitist (due to Fender I think) range were made close to the original Gibson specs with a broader shallower neck profile. Rossetti, the UK importer at the time only got 4 in and they had sold straight away, I had to get this imported myself from Music123.com. It was only available for a short while, being discontinued when Gibson made the SG Re-issue bass.

Totally agree about the Shaftesbury; I had a bright red sunburst one and stripped it off with Nitromors to bare wood then handbrush-varnished it to look like Lemmy's (oh dear...)!! only superceded by the real thing, but still the best backup Ricki out there...if, as you say, you can find one...

Those Shaftesbury basses were quite highly regarded, by some

But others were a tad snobbish about them

They were built in an era when Japanese guitar manufacturers were trying to prove themselves

to the world, and some of their efforts were superb

Some of the early Ibanez basses were great

The ones marketed as Shaftesbury, were sometimes called

"Shaftesbury Rose-Morris" because they were imported by Rose Morris guitars,

in Shaftesbury Avenue, apparently....

I got rid of mine, cos would shortly need re-fretting

which was too costly for me back then

... wish I still had it though - it played beautifully

Have played a Rockinbetter copy

These play OK, and are made by Tokai

They look the part, but I've heard of electrical problems,

and some probs with the edge binding.....

Cheers again :)

What a nice thread to find on rmweb!

Well, I plugged the Les Paul into the amp and was amazed. I sounded like Brian May and Mark Knopfler rolled into one! I can actually do phasing (remember the Byrds "wasn't born to follow" in Easy Rider?) which I have always loved. I can't get over the different sounds I'm getting from one guitar after 40+ years of acoustic and promising myself a "leccy git" one day.

Ed

Hi guys,

Not sure if you are aware but there's a whole thread on Basschat.co.uk (RickenFakers) on Rick copies and the way Rickenbacker are trying to clamp down on copies being sold. Ebay have apparently pulled a few ads recently.

Alan.

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

Not sure if you are aware but there's a whole thread on Basschat.co.uk (RickenFakers) on Rick copies and the way Rickenbacker are trying to clamp down on copies being sold. Ebay have apparently pulled a few ads recently.

Alan.

Haven't been on there for quite a while now (only really scoped the 'used gear' threads!!), but this doesn't surprise me, especially as they're reissuing their back catalogue every year it seems...

David

• RMweb Premium

Have played a Rockinbetter copy

These play OK, and are made by Tokai

They look the part, but I've heard of electrical problems,

and some probs with the edge binding.....

Cheers again :)

What a nice thread to find on rmweb!

I owned an early Tokai strat but never got on with it; somehow always felt like cheating, and the sound was just not quite right, y'know...but the thing was solid enough so I'm a bit surprised they're having problems now...

Good to be able to combine guitars and trains for once - two creative elements in one place!!

David

• RMweb Premium

Well, I plugged the Les Paul into the amp and was amazed. I sounded like Brian May and Mark Knopfler rolled into one! I can actually do phasing (remember the Byrds "wasn't born to follow" in Easy Rider?) which I have always loved. I can't get over the different sounds I'm getting from one guitar after 40+ years of acoustic and promising myself a "leccy git" one day.

Ed

Well , yes, what did you expect :sungum: ??!!

The open road beckons...

Hi guys,

Alan.

Yes,

Rickenbacker have really clmaped down on copies of their guitars....

And have done for some time...

The classic example being the Ibanez "lawsuit" bass

They looked very similar. I never played one,

but people who have tell me they're OK

There are reports of Rickenbacker burning seized copies

... a bit over-zealous, if you ask me.....

Most young players who cannot afford genuine guitars

can only afford a cheaper copy....

and usually progress to the genuine article, when they're older

and can afford it

Also, The basic shape of most guitars is pretty similar, in reality;

2 pointy bits of body - the upper being slightly longer,

in order for the player to be able to reach the end of the neck, when the strap is worn.......

(with the exception of Mossrite and a few others,

where the bottom half of the body is longer)

Indeed Fender themselves "borrowed" the design of the machine head

from a very early spanish made acoustic guitar!!!!

Abit heavy handed of Rickenbacker? Maybe,

but I suppose it's their design??

Cheers again

Yes,

Rickenbacker have really clmaped down on copies of their guitars....

And have done for some time...

The classic example being the Ibanez "lawsuit" bass

They looked very similar. I never played one,

but people who have tell me they're OK

There are reports of Rickenbacker burning seized copies

... a bit over-zealous, if you ask me.....

Most young players who cannot afford genuine guitars

can only afford a cheaper copy....

and usually progress to the genuine article, when they're older

and can afford it

Also, The basic shape of most guitars is pretty similar, in reality;

2 pointy bits of body - the upper being slightly longer,

in order for the player to be able to reach the end of the neck, when the strap is worn.......

(with the exception of Mossrite and a few others,

where the bottom half of the body is longer)

Indeed Fender themselves "borrowed" the design of the machine head

from a very early spanish made acoustic guitar!!!!

Abit heavy handed of Rickenbacker? Maybe,

but I suppose it's their design??

Cheers again

I agree Marc, seems a bit over zealous and as you say copies are a good introduction for youngsters. Where would we be if all the manufacturer's took the same approach.

I've not played either a Rick or a copy but have played a Tokai precision which seemed pretty good to me.

Alan.

• RMweb Premium

I look at it a bit like this:

Hornby do their Railroad series; entry-level kit aimed at those starting out or who can't afford the expensive gear or who are prepared to add the extras to raise the models up a level, then progressing to the Special Edition highly detailed models when experience/funds allow. Thus the buyer stays with Hornby all along...

What should happen is that Fender, Gibson et al produce budget models of their own ranges that are actually playable and affordable and keep the guitarist under their umbrella until they can go for the deluxe custom shop jobbies...simples!!

But what we have are Big Boy companies who refuse to allow their products to be offered cheaper under their own name, but who don't want other companies offering copies either - talk about dog in the manger!!

Rant over - for now!!

David

What a cool thread. I am another bass player and play a Wal 5 string and MarkBass amps. I have had 3 Wal's and before that an Aria Pro II. I am currently in the market for an unlined fretless and would love another Wal but cannot afford them now.

BandGig201109003.jpg

Old Rig

WengeWalwithRig.jpg

Trace Elliot before that but can't fin pics.

I look at it a bit like this:

Hornby do their Railroad series; entry-level kit aimed at those starting out or who can't afford the expensive gear or who are prepared to add the extras to raise the models up a level, then progressing to the Special Edition highly detailed models when experience/funds allow. Thus the buyer stays with Hornby all along...

What should happen is that Fender, Gibson et al produce budget models of their own ranges that are actually playable and affordable and keep the guitarist under their umbrella until they can go for the deluxe custom shop jobbies...simples!!

But what we have are Big Boy companies who refuse to allow their products to be offered cheaper under their own name, but who don't want other companies offering copies either - talk about dog in the manger!!

Rant over - for now!!

David

Couldn't agree more sir!

Of course, Fender did allow manufacturing under licence, of copies of their guitars -Squier

They now allow the same, by way of Fender labelled Mexican-made guitars

Gibson of course do the same with the "Epiphone" rang of licensed copies...

.... why don't Rickenbacker take the same approach???

I'm sure this has been asked a million times,

they must have selective hearing......

A company called "Retrovibe" make several basses

THe earlier versions of which bore a strong resemblance to Ricks...

Which obviously upset Mr Rickenbacker...

the current models look like a cross between a Rick and a Fender....

I don't know how Tokai have got this far with their "Rockinbetter" range?

But I'm sure they'll be stopped - one was pulled from ebay recently

TTFN

EDIT: The early Squier copies were made in Japan,

and were so well made, they now fetch prices almost in line with Fenders

A guitarist pal of mine has an 80's Squier Strat,

and he reckons it's the best strat he's played....

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely; Squier and Epiphone and even Fender Tex-Mex offered some options from the main item, but Rick never bothered hence the outpouring of copies...ce la vie!

Thing is, with across-the-board names like Paul Reed Smith, Hamer, Washburn, Ibanez and so on producing guitars which create their own sound as well a viable copy of the great 'names' the desire for licensed copies becomes less of a pull, and so the hunt is then back on for the original guitars themselves; which is why Ed wanted and got a true classic in his Les Paul...

David

• RMweb Premium

What a cool thread. I am another bass player and play a Wal 5 string and MarkBass amps. I have had 3 Wal's and before that an Aria Pro II. I am currently in the market for an unlined fretless and would love another Wal but cannot afford them now.

Wal's have always been top class but for top money; they rarely if ever come up second hand and if they do they're usually mint!!

Is Aria still going? They used to be the standard 'new' axe a couple of decades ago - a bit like Ibanez now I s'pose - much beloved of John Taylor and such...

David

I'm rather embarassed with myself, I used to play the Guitar and being one part of a DINKY,* it meant that I had the wherewithal to buy some seriously tasty gear (Gibson, Fender, Yamaha Compass etc. etc.), but I haven't touched my guitars for about 4 years, since well before my knee surgery...

Anyone got any suggestions for re-igniting the spark?

F

DINKY = Dual Income No KiddY :yahoo:

Wal's have always been top class but for top money; they rarely if ever come up second hand and if they do they're usually mint!!

Is Aria still going? They used to be the standard 'new' axe a couple of decades ago - a bit like Ibanez now I s'pose - much beloved of John Taylor and such...

David

I used to know the maker of Wal's, the sadly departed Pete Stevens, pretty well and got a nice deal from him. The basses are now in the £3k and up region but are at least still hand made by one of the original Wal trained builders and not sold to a big name and ruined - Trace Elliott anyone!

The Aria was unfortunately lent to my brothers girlfriend 20 odd years ago and when she became an ex the bass was never returned :-(

• RMweb Premium

Plug in a guitar, tune it up and turn up the amp; then haul out every rock n roll guitar track you have in your CD collection and blast them out; simple but effective riffs and driving rhythm guitar styles are best (think John Mayall, Free, Stones, AC/DC etc...) ...then see how long you last before reaching for the old axe again !! Works every time... :sungum:

NB: stay away from Satch, Vai, Malmsteen and the like at this point as they'll make you want to sell everything and go into hiding!!

David

Be careful, DINKY means Dual Income No Kids YET!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think that the YET bit will happen.... not at my age...

I'll dust of the Axe and give David's (Grafarman) suggestions a go. Just before I "turned off and dropped in" (as opposed to "turn on and drop out" - as you of a certain age may remember) I bought myself a pedal board that I've never used. It's about time I give it a go.

...NB: stay away from Satch, Vai, Malmsteen and the like at this point as they'll make you want to sell everything and go into hiding!! David

No fear of that, my Guitar Gods are David Gilmour, Pete Townshend and Martin "Lancelot" Barre (as he was introduced by Ian Anderson at one Tull concert I saw). And I can make a fair go at "Wish You Were Here" "Slip Kid" and "Aqualung" (or used to, anyway)

F

Just dug out the pics of my '67 Vox Starstream X11 and am now really regretting selling it a while back... still, at least I know it's gone to a good home, a chap who works for The Brian Jonestown Massacre bought it, despite one of the built in effects not working. As well as an inbuilt E-tuner it had wah-wah, treble & base booster, distortion and repeater (tremelo). For a while I also had a Vox Conqueror amp and cab set up and plugging the Starstream into it with the amp's own reverb on full was wonderful.... god I wish I still had them both!

post-7638-0-41062600-1346949858_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-49108800-1346949988_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-26226300-1346950066_thumb.jpg

I'm rather embarassed with myself, I used to play the Guitar and being one part of a DINKY,* it meant that I had the wherewithal to buy some seriously tasty gear (Gibson, Fender, Yamaha Compass etc. etc.), but I haven't touched my guitars for about 4 years, since well before my knee surgery...

F

DINKY = Dual Income No KiddY :yahoo:

If you can find someone to play with, or a band that'll have you I think that is the best motivation, failing that some tuition-go look in local music shops for ad's for both.

My son uses the internet a lot and has progressed further in his first couple of years than I did. I have looked at some of the stuff he uses and it is good, although whenever I look for myself I find a free "taster" and then a demand for money.

I am old-fashioned and like personal contact. Does Mrs Dottore play an instrument or sing?

Ed

Archived