Signalling !

Horsemoor was my first time, so to speak. I've moved eight boxes all told, nine if you include loading the charred remains of Padnal into a borrowed farm trailer... 

post-4034-0-75515100-1358547992_thumb.jpg

Horsemoor was special though. I spent many happy hours working the box, very unofficially of course. In this next picture here i am, with hair (the Wife doesn't believe i actually had any but here is proof( she was six years old when this picture was taken(and i didn't know her!))) in Horsemoor posing with the down line signal levers reversed. It seems an age away now but i was given the keys to the box and it stood like this for a month before i moved it. Going to work was a real bind. Once the week was over i'd rush up to March and get the stove going and spend all weekend in the box. Super times spent next to a real railway with real trains running all night. There would be hell to pay today. 

post-4034-0-03024100-1358548657_thumb.jpg

Another North Wales interlude.

This location was between Connahs Quay and Flint.

Rockcliffe Hall - opened in 1953 in connection with Connahs Quay power station (visible in the background of some of the shots), and closed in 1995 when the new Dee crossing approach roads were constructed, the site of the cabin is directly under the road. The box was replaced by a portacabin structure.

Ah, the original Rockliffe, a box I never got to work. It was being replaced as I was training the area on relief. I did end up working the new box, which quickly developed a slightly rearward list meaning that if you took your feet off the floor while sitting in the office style chair, you rolled toward the panel..

I renamed it Rockliffe Hole and spent as little time there as possible. I haven't even taken a picture of it.

Now here's a view from a vaguely similar box, again with it's own pet power station. This place I did enjoy working!!

post-7179-0-92545300-1358552556_thumb.jpg

and yes although I'm ashamed to admit it, that is my parrot green 1974 Reliant Robin 750 parked up across the way...

Jon F.

• RMweb Gold

Now here's a view from a vaguely similar box, again with it's own pet power station. This place I did enjoy working!!

Ah yes, I have some photos of that place, given time, they will appear

and yes although I'm ashamed to admit it, that is my parrot green 1974 Reliant Robin 750 parked up across the way...

Jon F.

After years of motorcycling i found a Reliant a welcome change in the winter. It also gave me the ability to move much larger objects than i had previously, however i found that putting an LNER shunt signal in the back altered the reliability of the steering. I had to go back and swipe a few bullhead chairs and put them in the passenger footwell. Happy times, though the girlfriend at the time was less than impressed, firstly with the loss of steering/wheelie and then sharing her foot space with a pile of rusty chairs.

A couple more for Richard (LNERGE)

A ground frame between March and Three Horse Shoes - Norwood Road

attachicon.gifdas0159.jpg

Edit - Ground Frame at Norwood Road, not Whittlesey Road as I originally suggested

This photo has put the cat amongst the pigeons so to speak. I imagined it would have interesting controls but looking a what is in the rather excellent picture i am starting to think it is pretty complicated. With March West open the signal lever is locked by the Annetts lock and the crossing functions fairly simply with the crossing keeper opening and shutting the gates when called for by March West box. When March West was switched out the Annetts key was released by the box and transferred to the crossing to release the signal lever. This lever operated March West's Down main starter directly by mechanical wire and the up main colourlight. Easy enough so far but everything in rear of the down main semaphore is colourlight except the semaphore distant for March East right back at March South. Distant indicator working was in force for this signal. The indicator remained in March East long after the arrangements changed and it used waggle about and tinkle but could never get into a state to do what it was there to do. The dial type track repeaters will require further thought, in fact the whole thing requires a lot of research before i can get my head round it totally.

• RMweb Gold

This photo has put the cat amongst the pigeons so to speak. I imagined it would have interesting controls but looking a what is in the rather excellent picture i am starting to think it is pretty complicated. With March West open the signal lever is locked by the Annetts lock and the crossing functions fairly simply with the crossing keeper opening and shutting the gates when called for by March West box. When March West was switched out the Annetts key was released by the box and transferred to the crossing to release the signal lever. This lever operated March West's Down main starter directly by mechanical wire and the up main colourlight. Easy enough so far but everything in rear of the down main semaphore is colourlight except the semaphore distant for March East right back at March South. Distant indicator working was in force for this signal. The indicator remained in March East long after the arrangements changed and it used waggle about and tinkle but could never get into a state to do what it was there to do. The dial type track repeaters will require further thought, in fact the whole thing requires a lot of research before i can get my head round it totally.

I'll scan it at very high resolution for you - probably tomorrow - then the plate may become legible.

I'll scan it at very high resolution for you - probably tomorrow - then the plate may become legible.

Yes please! The biggest problem at the moment is remembering how the method of working changed. I'm sure Three Horse Shoes to March West was TCB. March West to March East was absolute but with the West switched out i think Three Horse Shoes to March East became TCB. This does, in some respects, fly in the face of logic as in other locations the long section became absolute as it involved transmitting less through the section.

The plate reads

SIGNALS
UP & DOWN
MAIN
HOMES
RELEASED
FROM
MARCH WEST
BEFORE
CLOSING

Thanks for the information!

I've been sent this picture of Norwood Road Crossing ground frame after it had been recovered to Cambridge stores. 

post-4034-0-63127300-1358775424.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm probably going to get in a bit of trouble for this but here goes..

Although I much prefer all the older pictures of the wonderful manual boxes and associated signalling, most of it long gone, as a contrast here's some pictures of some signalling equipment so new it's not yet installed!

These pics were emailed to Chester PSB as a bit of a sneak preview for our new addition to the workload...

It's being fitted in the box on Sunday but won't be commisioned until early June..apparently! (but don't tell anyone...shhh :secret: )

post-7179-0-83022700-1359659491.png

post-7179-0-41273300-1359659510.png

post-7179-0-73518700-1359659520.png

post-7179-0-85140300-1359659530.png

post-7179-0-23877100-1359659539.png

Jon F

Although I much prefer all the older pictures of the wonderful manual boxes and associated signalling, most of it long gone, as a contrast here's some pictures of some signalling equipment so new it's not yet installed!

These pics were emailed to Chester PSB as a bit of a sneak preview for our new addition to the workload...

It's being fitted in the box on Sunday but won't be commisioned until early June..apparently! (but don't tell anyone...shhh :secret: )

attachicon.gifuntitled.PNG

attachicon.gif3.PNG

attachicon.gif4.PNG

attachicon.gifuntitled1.PNG

attachicon.gifuntitled2.PNG

Jon F

That will give you time to learn to use (and lurve) the CSR - hope you like talking to drivers!

attachicon.gifuntitled.PNG

attachicon.gif3.PNG

attachicon.gif4.PNG

attachicon.gifuntitled1.PNG

attachicon.gifuntitled2.PNG

Jon F

those tiles look even worse close up all the box diagrames at stockport were replaced with them at least three off the original box diagram mes complete in casings are in a friends garage  after being rescued from a skip out side edgeley 3 

• 3 weeks later...

I wondered how many North Wales signals you had captured on film and now I know....The lot! I loved those at the East end of Llandudno Junction and always regretted not making more of them in scenes. The big wooden one on the Rhyl Down back platform was another cute signal. So many memories and so long ago now.

I was invited along to some of the 'pulling 'em down days'. When the Abergele Up distant hit the ballast the signal went up for the last time! No one told Dick the Lamp it had been pulled down and the local PW lads let him go wandering off up the line to change the lamps Monday morning. Ted the Signal must have forgotten too, as he nearly went through the back of the box pulling off the new colour light....

Dick the lamps was a character - I once had him doing the lamps at Prestatyn and saw him walking towards the box with a bicycle frame on his back !. He had found it by the Down Starting Signals half in a ditch - he managed to drag it out somehow. His lamp room in Rhyl (located on the Chester side of the main building on the up platform) was like an Aladdin's Cave - every nail, nuts and bolts and odd bits of wood and metal etc he used to collect - happy days, and now not an oil lamp in sight ! 

Well here we are.

Before Chester was altered out of all recognition. An up London passing No.2 box.

attachicon.gifChester 2.jpg

A DMU special passing the gantry by No.4 box

attachicon.gifChester 4 signals.jpg

During the changeover to the new power box, 2 May 1984. S&T from all over assisting Chester's own teams. I was in a team of 4 changing track circuits to new locations and testing.

No.3 box

attachicon.gifChester 3.jpg

No.3A box with our team.

attachicon.gifChester 3A.jpg

No.4 box

attachicon.gifChester 4.jpg

No.5 box

attachicon.gifChester 5.jpg

Towards no.5 from the CLC bridge, looking towards the station.

attachicon.gifChester 5 south.jpg

Looking left towards goods shed, and all the yellow S&T vans.

attachicon.gifChester goods.jpg

No.6 box on an earlier stage, mainly removing redundant rodding.

attachicon.gifChester 6.jpg

No.6 during stagework.

attachicon.gifChester 6 south.jpg

By No.5 box during scrappig up, 4 May 1984.  L to R,  John Hurdman, Mark Lamb, Colin Moughton, Ken Hurdman and Wayne Jones (Snotty)

attachicon.gifSmoke break.jpg

More when I find them, and if you want similar from other parts ?

Cheers Merf.

Good shots - Any more photos Merf of our S&T employees? 

• RMweb Premium

And a training aid for new signallers -

attachicon.gifDSCF4136.JPG

All DCC and computer controlled so, when it works, the trains run as soon as they get clear signals! This was taken at Network Rail's now closed Watford Training Centre.

Sorry for replying late to this one, I remember my time at Watford, the frames had all sorts of faults, and the model railways never worked. Is it true that they were all (frames, nx and railways) scrapped when the place closed?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Padnal signalbox in not so happy times..

attachicon.gif006.jpg

The story round here is the early turn man on the day after the fire, arrived as normal and climbed the steps to open up, only to find that at the top of the stairs there was nothing left. The S&T were sat in their van in the car park and pi**ed themselves laughing!

Andy G

(BTW the Lynn line is due to be the last boxed line in anglia to go. 8 more years!)

A quick visit to the Llandudno branch

Deganwy Up Home 1, note the corrugated arm

attachicon.gifdas00374.jpg

This was Deganwy Up Inner Home (Signal 7)

There was another tall one located further back acting as Up Outer Home (Signal 6) and prior to the closure of

Deganwy No1 on 28th May 1967 it had a "Warning Arm" beneath (Signal 9) to drop a train down to the Inner Home when gates was still across the line. The gates at Deganwy (ex-No2) were replaced by barriers on 25th February 1979 with the Outer and Inner Homes abolished and replaced by a new tubular post acting as Up Home (6). The Up Starter (formerly worked by lever 8  was then worked by lever 7 - and still does today as DY7 (now a colour light) and also acts as distant signal for Llandudno Junction LJ74.

Until 1974 Deganwy Up Distant was a LNWR lower quadrant signal (about 30ft high!) and could be seen from the distance after passing under Maesdu Bridge, Llandudno. I believe the post was rotted in the ground and had been "Godfathered" as it was known i.e. reinforced at the base with timber and bolted through the base of the main post. I've never seen a photo of it but remember passing it loads of times at caution prior to its renewal to a 30ft tubular post (later reduced in height) - suppose it didn't come off? or was disconnected hence the renewal.?

Archived