New camera - first test photos

Jon Grant 4472

Jon,

Nice pics.

I've got the same camera - you have to be careful where you place your left hand. I couldn't understand why I was getting focussing errors at first either.....

Best, Pete.

PS I've deleted the other "Where is Jon?" thread. Thanx for PM.

I always thought you photos were pretty good anyway, Jon.

I'm still using a Konica-Minolta A200 I brought in 2005, to be honest I was pretty fed up with it after the first week but found judicious use of CombineZP and some photoshop editing produces some pretty nice results. Will have to have a look at Picasa.

• 3 weeks later...

Jon,

I'm really enjoying the SX40 HS now but it took a while. As I hinted before I was getting a lot of focussing issues. The difficulty was caused by my left hand persistently covering the gizmo that checks the focus - the green light on the front left of the camera - I have rather large hands.

Btw this is one of the few cameras of it's type to actually let you manually focus, if you wish.

The anti-shake device is often better than using a tripod.

I took the following photo of the Moon as a test - totally handheld not even leaning on anything:

post-9016-0-83456800-1349003851_thumb.jpg

Best, Pete.

Excellent photo Pete. I didn't even know there was an anti-shake thingumajig-wotzit.

Changing the focal length on the SX40HS is a bit more fiddly than on the old Power Shot as you have to turn the wheel and I kept knocking the function buttons by accident

I concur about the focusing issues - the camera keeps wanting to focus on the wrong thing

Jon

Pushkin the cat helped me take a few more photos tonight using the old camera, as a reference point. Oddly enough I'm finding the 7.2mp Power Shot is easier to use with Helicon Focus than the new camera. The in-focus area of each individual shot in the stack is easier to spot

12-10-01_2.jpg

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_02132.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

Yet another photo session cut short

Jon

I took some more photos last night using the new Power Shot, but without editing the photos in Helicon Focus, as I wanted to see what the depth of field was like. I'm quite happy with the results so far, although the best photo of the session ended up being one using the old camera and Helicon Focus - typical.

IMG_02371.JPG

IMG_02505.JPG

IMG_02482.JPG

IMG_02542.JPG

...and the photos with the old camera

12-10-03_csx_gp40.jpg

12-10-03_gp40.jpg

12-10-03_sbd_gp38.jpg

Now to take some video with the new camera

Jon

The second batch offer more interesting viewpoints - you'll really need to duplicate the shots.

You realise with the new one you can alter the focussing point with the "wheel" on the back? Or try setting it to Aperture priority and step the aperture down until you get the depth of field that you need.

Best, Pete.

Got that Pete. I've set the new camera to aperture priority AV, manual focus and use the wheel to alter depth of field. Problem is moving the wheel tends to move the camera. Also I've been saving the HF photos at 45% quality to resize them to under 2 megapixels, so they can be uploaded to Railimages. Maybe if I save them as 100% and then crop them...Hmmmm

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Jon

I tend to take the photos at maximum resolution just incase they get used for something else than RMweb.

I then use the Rmweb image editor to reduce the file size (see the quality slider when you click save) then save them under a different file name so they dont overwrite the original image file.

Ian

Archived