The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Professor Sid Watkins RIP

Mucky Duck

I know that there are F1 followers on RMweb who must be saddened by the news that Prof Sid Watkins has died. A great man and a much-loved character, he saved many grand prix drivers' lives over the years, as F1's doc. Unfortunately, there was nothing he could do for Roland Ratzenburger and Ayrton Senna at Imola 1994 but there hasn't been an F1 fatality since thanks to his tireless efforts to make this a less dangerous sport.

Thanks Sid. Rest in peace.

For me he was as much of the scene as any of the great drivers, commentators or team owners. His contribution to the sport was massive and achieved effectively from within. He lost many friends and acquaintances over the years and it's also relevant to think that his work may have saved the lives of other team workers, officials and spectators. Ironically I stopped attending GPs when it became safer behind the fences as it felt more remote although I can't fault the motives.

RIP.

maybe time to re-name the grand stand or media cetre at silverstone in his honour or posibley a corner or shicane ?

"and theres button making his move at watkins " sound just right

Or even the Medical Centre, At Pembrey recently we have lost a long serving Paramedic and one of the regular circuit doctors, the 2 circuit ambulances now have "in memoriam" messages to the two.

Ian

Taking time to watch Simon's link over a couple of cups of tea shows that to be a documentary which addresses the flawed genius of Colin Chapman like few I've seen before; there's a few chokers in there as boyhood heroes disappeared.

• RMweb Gold

Coincidentally (or not), there's a program on the BBC iPlayer at the moment that documents the carnage of the 1960s and early 70s.

Grand Prix the Killer Years

That programme brings it home that how unsafe it all was in the past. I used to be a regular attendee with my uncle back in the 50s and remember seeing Fangio, Stirling Moss, Mike Hawthorne and Prince Bira racing. (yes I am that old). The only 'safety' aspects were straw bales around the circuit edges.

RIP to the good doctor.

Archived