Masons Lane

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Now you're talking Andy. As someone remarked in an earlier post, Masons Lane is really suited to the steamers. Slightly decrepit 9Fs are spot on - except the line might not have coped with the heavy traffic.

Great images!

Cheers,

Jeff

Now you're talking Andy. As someone remarked in an earlier post, Masons Lane is really suited to the steamers. Slightly decrepit 9Fs are spot on - except the line might not have coped with the heavy traffic.

Great images!

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, You are right about the 9F, good job I didn't put the Duchess on the layout, ha ha.

• RMweb Premium

Must admit, I do love the Duchesses! I have two - City of Leicester and City of Lancaster. Yes, they are pretty massive - and probably inappropriate for Masons Lane!!

73068 looks in her element in those last pics. You know how to keep me and Mason happy!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, looking at that last photo I must re paint the front of the board, strange thing is that it looks absolutley fine to the naked eye, mabee I should put some clothes on that NAKED EYE, :no: ha ha ha (never did understand that saying either). Anyway your post at 05.22 :nono: there is only one 05.22 in my day and thats at tea time :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I was up early today - again. I must be mad. I always thought retired people lounged in bed. Hell, I've got too many things to fill my day!

Btw, the 5MT was a good choice for the layout. I notice you've still got your speedo cable attached. I've got a couple of 5MTs - managed to break the cable off the first one!

What's all this about naked? Oh, naked eye. Yes, bit of a daft phrase - always brought a chuckle from my Astronomy students when referring to observations made without optical aid. Almost as bad as the name of that planet (Uranus)...

Anyway, I'll leave you to your latest project. No doubt you have one half-completed since last night :good: . I'm going back to my fiddle-yard. Fiddle-yard - that's also an odd phrase!

Cheers,

Jeff

At the risk of being yelled at, but there is something that spoils the looks of this nice little layout:

SteamLocosonMasonLane024-Copy_zpsab89de90.jpg

Just a little touch-up the job & a dab of paint and the layout is perfect!

You are right Sir, but at the time I was up against a deadline to get it submitted to Hornby Mag, I should correct that asap. Thanks for your input and I bow to your sharp eye sight.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Andy - thanks for the Duchess! She looks lovely. The 4MT photos, as it's crossing the canal, are excellent.

I know you have fluorescent lighting in your railway room, Andy. What else do you use to take the pictures as they are bright and evenly lit with few shadows...

Cheers,

Jeff

Very nice Andy - thanks for the Duchess! She looks lovely. The 4MT photos, as it's crossing the canal, are excellent.

I know you have fluorescent lighting in your railway room, Andy. What else do you use to take the pictures as they are bright and evenly lit with few shadows...

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I will PM you.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the PM Andy. Very interesting.

Is the V2 one of the re-vamped Bachmanns? A lovely engine. If so, how do you find the new chassis works with DCC? Some of the older versions with the split-chassis were a bit dodgy.

It'll soon be time for the competition result. I hope Mike Wild has been looking at some of your photos on here!

Jeff

Thanks for the PM Andy. Very interesting.

Is the V2 one of the re-vamped Bachmanns? A lovely engine. If so, how do you find the new chassis works with DCC? Some of the older versions with the split-chassis were a bit dodgy.

It'll soon be time for the competition result. I hope Mike Wild has been looking at some of your photos on here!

Jeff

Morning Jeff, yes the V2 is the latest model and runs very well, NOW, when I first got it it was a little noisey, not a motor whine but more of a scraping sound, as though the pick ups were to tight on the wheel backs, I have had it on the rolling road for about 3 hours or so running each way and it is greatly improved, still not as quiet as a Hornby, but much better and now at an acceptable level. I always find that Bachmann take more running in than Hornby anyway. I am waiting for my Bachmann A2 to come back from Bachmann, brand new out of the box and the right hand valve gear was falling off, I tried to repair it but the boss was not a good fit, I have seen the same on thier Ivatt 2 and 4 locos.

As for the competition it was just a bit of fun and I feel that there is a lot more that people can do with a diorama size such as flower beds, vegitable plantations etc, even super detailing inside workshops, I have seen some wonderful examples of that sort of modeling of late and as I have seen no others on RM it would not surprise me to find some very dark horses out there somewhere. Cheers Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy. I do like the V2 - even though Bachmann didn't totally revamp the model. Not sure any V2s ran on the S&C - no doubt someone will tell me. Most of my locos are Bachmann, and I'd agree the Hornby engines are usually a bit smoother to start with... probably as a result of 5-pole motors and all wheel pick-up. Bachmann cover my requirements far better, though.

Well, I guess the Forum has now been repaired, so I'll go and see what's been done...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Where did you get the Patriot (45512, "Bunsen") Andy? Got a soft spot for the Fowler design and on checking I see that particular engine spent part of its time at Carlisle shed. So I could justify running it on the S&C. She looks good with a crew on board.

Jeff

Where did you get the Patriot (45512, "Bunsen") Andy? Got a soft spot for the Fowler design and on checking I see that particular engine spent part of its time at Carlisle shed. So I could justify running it on the S&C. She looks good with a crew on board.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I know of one and will PM you. Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Simply fantastic - literally!

I'm sure a lot of people have several layout ideas running through their heads at any one time - the difference with you is you actually build most of them! You certainly have the knack of converting ideas into lifelike cameos.

I'm sold on the small layout idea after my initial attempts at a larger layout around my garage. I now have a 5'X1' which has much more chance of completion!

Consider this bookmarked for future reference/inspiration.

Regards,

James

Archived