Masons Lane

Andrew P

Hi Andy,

Simply fantastic - literally!

I'm sure a lot of people have several layout ideas running through their heads at any one time - the difference with you is you actually build most of them! You certainly have the knack of converting ideas into lifelike cameos.

I'm sold on the small layout idea after my initial attempts at a larger layout around my garage. I now have a 5'X1' which has much more chance of completion!

Consider this bookmarked for future reference/inspiration.

Regards,

James

Hi James, yes small is good but I do still hanker for a large room and a chance to run Long goods trains again, Andy.

Hi, found time to take some more pics last night, just a couple of green Diesels, the almost clean type 3 in the second pic is the new offering from Bachmann, factory weathered, question is should I do a bit more as it looks to clean against my other type 3?

post-9335-0-54876100-1349351406_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-13312200-1349351435_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-40300600-1349351474_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-86369100-1349351505_thumb.jpg

Can imagine having a picnic beside the water watching the trains trundle over.

It would scare the life out of me - I'd be thinking of all that weight of 60093 sitting on that bridge ... will it hold? :D

A question if I may: I'm contemplating a canal "feature" and was wondering on the actual depth under the bridge to allow a barge to pass under? Going back to page 1 and the first photos it doesn't appear to be very deep a cut beneath the board (I'm estimating some 30mm assuming the frame to be typical 2x1 softwood) You also mention in the text that you would have preferred to have made the cut deeper but was limited by the issue of cutting too much and losing the strength of the supporting timber. Given the height of the average "person" and the height of the towpath above the canal what would the depth of such a feature be best suited?

It would scare the life out of me - I'd be thinking of all that weight of 60093 sitting on that bridge ... will it hold? :D

A question if I may: I'm contemplating a canal "feature" and was wondering on the actual depth under the bridge to allow a barge to pass under? Going back to page 1 and the first photos it doesn't appear to be very deep a cut beneath the board (I'm estimating some 30mm assuming the frame to be typical 2x1 softwood) You also mention in the text that you would have preferred to have made the cut deeper but was limited by the issue of cutting too much and losing the strength of the supporting timber. Given the height of the average "person" and the height of the towpath above the canal what would the depth of such a feature be best suited?

Hi Kenton, well the depth that I have is really not quite enough, I would not like to be standing on that boat, I have a clearence of 25mm which as you can see from the pics is too tight for reallity, but I had to leave enough meat on the timber below for strength. Really a 3 x 1 baseboard frame would have been better but I had what was lying around as it was only ment to be a quick diorama. And yes I know what you mean about the weight of that loco sitting on a tiny girder bridge, scarry to say the least, but it works well as a photographic piece.

Andrew, thanks for the prompt response. I understand the diorama aspect - perhaps a few lighter weight locos? :D - and it does work really well.

I have 70mm to play with and am thinking I could go to 50mm to the base of the canal without too much weakening. Adding more strength to the remaining 20mm by an additional 20mm batten inside before starting the base for the water (9mm). That still only gives some 40mm for the barge but should, I think enable a figure to be walking on the tow path without banging heads on the bridge.

What you have done to open out the entrance to the bridge with the sloping grass has really helped the visual impact and given it more depth. Something I am hoping to also achieve although there will be two bridges and the canal more visible from above between the two.

Superb layout Andy. Although (this may have been mentioned already) the fact that you haven't added this beautiful layout to your layout links in your signature is really nagging me.. :D

Andy 2.

Hi Andy and Thanks, as for adding it to my signiture, well I have sent a request to Andy Y a couple of weeks ago as I don't know if I can do it my self,(he did the others for me). Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Andy, click on your username at upper right. Choose "My Settings", then click on "Signature" on the left of the screen.

Edit away and save. If that doesn't help, leave it to Andy Y!! :stinker:

Cheers,

Jeff

Andy, click on your username at upper right. Choose "My Settings", then click on "Signature" on the left of the screen.

Edit away and save. If that doesn't help, leave it to Andy Y!! :stinker:

Cheers,

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, just tried that, even tried removing Marston, (a layout that never got finished) but with no luck, I will try Andy Y again. Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Re canal height.

You just need enough room to lie flat on your back and get your feet on the ceiling and leg it.

Froghall tunnel is very tight:

http://www.waterwayroutes.co.uk/wr/090917_1609_froghall_tunnel_600.jpg

possibly more so than the bridge on the layout.

There were alot of low canal bridges in the potteries area partly due to subsidence.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jeff, just tried that, even tried removing Marston, (a layout that never got finished) but with no luck, I will try Andy Y again. Andy.

You never finished it? My god, was that because it took longer than a week? :O :jester:

Or did you run out of 6" nails?

Cheers Andy!

I wondered why just as it was getting somewhere the posts stopped.Is this the same canal boat?

You are spot on, well done grab a cuppa tea as a reward, think I will turn it around for the next photo shoot, cheers Andy

Congrats on your 6th place Andy. I think it could have placed higher, but the competition was pretty stiff!

Jeff

6th was far better than I deserved, but the layout is now sold at the weekend so I will be signing off from here now, so finally thanks to you all for all your help and support with Masons Lane.

Andy.

• 4 years later...

Archived