A list of very short Short Lines

shortliner

• RMweb Gold

In 1963, I was given a book called The Railway Lover's Companion. It includes more than one contribution a propos North America, and within them mentions of short lines are by no means rare. I would like to add to the sum of knowledge "New York Central, Hudson River and Fort Orange" which extended one whole mile from Castleton on the NYC to a paper mill. This is one of several lines noted in the adventures of Rogers E M Whitaker, a keen railfan and, by day, an editor of the New Yorker magazine, copies of which were always prized by my father, and which are currently arriving weekly, as Deb had a subscription. I believe he may also have been the author of a book "All Aboard" by E. M Frimbo.

• RMweb Premium

Reminded me of the response of the short line owner who tried to trade passes with a class one, which responded, roughly, "we are 3000 miles long and you are only 10". The short line retorted "We may not be as long but we just as wide".

No Belfast and Moosehead Lake either :(

I'm not sure whether you want to draw distinctions between short lines and terminal railroads, but since he did include some jointly-owned terminal companies, it's a shame he didn't include Portland Terminal (PTM), if only because not many roads like that operated Hudsons (ex MEC # 702). OK, OK, it was used as a steam generator in winter, but still...

Scattered in there are roads that became more widely known in the 70s because of their participation in the IPD boxcar deal. I remember seeing a lot of Minnesota, Dakota and Western cars in Maine, stencilled for return to Rumford, ME. This seemed odd until somebody mentioned that the MD&W and the paper mill in Rumford were both owned by the same outfit (Boise Cascade) and it made sense to use the cars in company service.

What, no Ballard Terminal or Meeker Southern..?? :scratchhead: not impressed.... :rolleyes: :D

Well, as the man said, the list he presented isn't exhaustive, but I too noted their absence! :umbrage:

All those SW1s sure get one's imagination working, and with two HO scale SW1s upstairs currently mothballed. ...

Well, as the man said, the list he presented isn't exhaustive, but I too noted their absence! :umbrage:

Yes, accepted - there isn't a "tongue-in-cheek" smiley to go with my first post... to catalogue every 'short' Short Line is an immense task, no doubt, never mind listing every single one that ever was....

It would become quite the tome, no doubt, and certainly an interesting read. One of my favorite little books is the one Kalmbach published almost 30 years ago outlining US shortlines. Some are gone, some are sill extant, and all have a certain charm.

The Meeker Southern and the Ballard Terminal happily are still going concerns -- I paused along the side of road on my way home very recently to watch the MSR just the other day. :no:

P. S. -- A tongue-in-cheek smiley would be quite useful, now that you mention it!

Archived